• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reinstating the Alberta Provincial Police?

To the list of provinces with a force:
Musn't forget the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.

as pointed out by Infidel, part of the issue will always be jurisdictional and the other will be financial...
Do you prefer to fund and maintain your own force OR pay someone else to do it.

Found these pictures of the Alberta Sheriffs Department. Thought I would post them for yalls

minister_cenaiko_sheriffs.jpg

sheriffs_car.jpg

http://www.solgen.gov.ab.ca/sheriffs_branch/default.aspx?id=4810

Inspir said:
CBH99 – I’m taking the same program as you at LCC but I’m taking it at a different campus. I plan on heading down there some time.

Do you know if the ASD has the authority to make charges under the Criminal Code of Canada? With there status as “Special Constables” under the Alberta Police Act I am not sure as to whether they can or not.

Just an update on this for you Inspir, as of Jan. 1, 2007 - yes they can.  Their mandate was expanded from Special Constable status to full Peace Officer status on January 1st, 2007.  Partly because of a need on their part, as they intercept a lot of vehicles that come across the border - and partly because that is the direction the government seems to be taking them.  They are now fully armed as well, and have Peace Officer status.

The ASD which used to be " Provincial Constables " have always been armed, the name and some taskings have changed. They now have traffic enforcement duties ( highway traffic act, environmental protection act, liquor control/DUI, etc ) Most of the time you would see them transporting prisoners to and from jail and courts, guarding certain provincial buildings. They also preform special security tasks for the province as they have taken over the couthouse security from the RCMP so they can get more officers on the road. :cdn:

When I mentioned armed, yes - they have always been armed.  Was referring moreso to the traffic section, which now has their secondary/support arms.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is new as of Jan. 1, 2007).  ??

The ASD would probably have the pump action shotgun as a secondary weapon like most other police services. As for investigating offences, they can investigate offences that they have a mandate for ie; traffic accidents with no injured persons, controlled substances,etc, as for fedral laws I am thinking that they can only assist the RCMP or other services by holding the accused until the formentioned services were called. I would try the Alberta Soliciter General website for more info on that.

bisonmedic said:
The ASD would probably have the pump action shotgun as a secondary weapon like most other police services. As for investigating offences, they can investigate offences that they have a mandate for ie; traffic accidents with no injured persons, controlled substances,etc, as for fedral laws I am thinking that they can only assist the RCMP or other services by holding the accused until the formentioned services were called. I would try the Alberta Soliciter General website for more info on that.

Just had an opportunity to speak with a Traffic Sergeant this past weekend about the ASD traffic section. Primary weapon is a Glock 22 and secondary weapon is a variant of the M4 Carbine. Your bang on with there scope of authority, when a Sheriff makes an arrest for a criminal code offense they do so with the power of s.494 CCC as opposed to s.495 (which a cop would use) and hand them over to the local police.

Another interesting note, almost all of the Traffic Sheriffs have at least 15 years average policing experience with another police agency.

Back