• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

HMCS Rainbow was originally USS  Argonaut, so we could name them after CFL teams.

Argonauts
Allouettes
Rough Riders
TigerCats
Blue Bombers
Rough Riders
Elks
Stampeders
Lions

To get twelve, we could add Concordes and Renegades, and either Stallions or Barracudas.
Hello Maxman1, I am not sure which HMCS Rainbow you are referring to but the usual 1910 acquired HMCS Rainbow was an Apollo class cruiser class built for the RN. HMCS Rainbow (1891) - Wikipedia

Two ways we can go about this, People or places. If you do people, i'd recommend people recognized for bravy by the RCN like HMCS Robert Gray (ww2 victoria cross recipient), if we go with places, to compliment the River Class, i'd call the subs the Lake Class, naming it for major bodies of water in Canada starting with HMCS Hudson

Hanwha's yard is under capacity right now and are building subs at a rate of 1 every 4 years. They have the ability to increase capacity to potentially 3 simultaneous builds. If we ordered now, its entirely possible we could have them by 2028 for sea trials.
I found this article from a few years ago that specifically addresses some of the design considerations for under-ice operations. It's very interesting, and suggests that even nucs have "challenges" operating up there. I would think it unlikely that the Korean subs were designed with this purpose in mind, so maybe not the best option after all.

HMCS Rainbow was originally USS  Argonaut, so we could name them after CFL teams.

Argonauts
Allouettes
Rough Riders
TigerCats
Blue Bombers
Rough Riders
Elks
Stampeders
Lions

To get twelve, we could add Concordes and Renegades, and either Stallions or Barracudas.
Roughriders (one word) is Saskatchewan. Rough Riders (two words) was Ottawa.

Following the "new established tradition" of four-letters acronyms, will these be called SSKA (attack submarines, Arctic)?
maybe SSKM (M for missiles)?
or just SSKT? (lol)

Apart from that, some news on the Indian submarines procurement process:

If it launches cruise missiles, it would be SSKG. If it launches ballistic missiles, it would be SSKB.

Thanks for the note. Since the cruise or antiship missiles would not be guided from the boat, I (erroneously) discarded the G.

I have no idea where they are planning on getting people to run this project from; PSPC is short staffed and shedding people, the RCN/Mat side is full out with the currently PMOs, with a lot of AOPs shifting to CSC, and the sub desk is full out to support the 4 boats we currently have.

We only have something like 1.5 crews for the current boats, with a lot of folks eligible for retirement, but if they officially park some of the 4 Vic class officially (and maybe even dispose of one) that might give some SMEs to push a replacement project.

We're full out already and losing more people, there is no capacity left to 'surge'. The 'surge' we're already doing can't even keep up with status quo.

Time to cut off some gangrenous limbs if they want new shit.

I have no idea where they are planning on getting people to run this project from; PSPC is short staffed and shedding people, the RCN/Mat side is full out with the currently PMOs, with a lot of AOPs shifting to CSC, and the sub desk is full out to support the 4 boats we currently have.

We only have something like 1.5 crews for the current boats, with a lot of folks eligible for retirement, but if they officially park some of the 4 Vic class officially (and maybe even dispose of one) that might give some SMEs to push a replacement project.

We're full out already and losing more people, there is no capacity left to 'surge'. The 'surge' we're already doing can't even keep up with status quo.

That kind of negative talk will lose you social credit points...Sunny Ways my friend!

Don't worry....the personnel issues will balance themselves!

Hanwha's yard is under capacity right now and are building subs at a rate of 1 every 4 years. They have the ability to increase capacity to potentially 3 simultaneous builds. If we ordered now, its entirely possible we could have them by 2028 for sea trials.
plus like Japan Hanwha's not the only builder there's hyundai as well

You've been warned about using common sense around here!

We'll never hear the details of their ops open source, but from the posts it says under ice ops, not near ice ops.
Words have different meanings depending on who says them.

In peacetime I cannot see any non SSN (and a SSN designed for ice breaching) wanting to conduct under ice operations simply due to the risk factor.

The SSN’s that do under ice ops also do so with the knowledge in an emergency their multi thousand ton vessel can breach through several meters of ice (and just as importantly if the emergency is enough and they DGAF about the boat other than getting out, a lot more ice…).

Earlier in this thread (or maybe another Sub thread here) I posted a link about under ice/through ice operations.

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, SPEED AND POWER… The nuke boats are generally a lot larger than conventional boats, have reinforced hulls, sails and upper decking to make ice breaching possible and safe.

Words have different meanings depending on who says them.

In peacetime I cannot see any non SSN (and a SSN designed for ice breaching) wanting to conduct under ice operations simply due to the risk factor.

The SSN’s that do under ice ops also do so with the knowledge in an emergency their multi thousand ton vessel can breach through several meters of ice (and just as importantly if the emergency is enough and they DGAF about the boat other than getting out, a lot more ice…).

Earlier in this thread (or maybe another Sub thread here) I posted a link about under ice/through ice operations.

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, SPEED AND POWER… The nuke boats are generally a lot larger than conventional boats, have reinforced hulls, sails and upper decking to make ice breaching possible and safe.
Meh...not something we have to worry about anyway. The Arctic will be ice-free in the summer by 2030 which is long before any new boats will hit the water.

Donald Sutherland GIF

Back