• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Agree and also more likely given the massive tail that nuke boats need. I have had some good convo's with some RN Nuke Engineering counterparts and keeping engineering watches filled on those boats is an extreme challenge. The technical skills are high and the number of people who can do them are limited.

The East Coast has you covered.

Trailer Park Boys Drink GIF

I have been to both Shelburne and Argentia. South Shore is a little warmer.

I don’t think either one will attract people to the silent service…all the outlier facilities are “remote” now it seems; Newport Corner was a “daily drive” (still Qs there but long drive to the dockyard). Mill Cove was staffed by a lone commissionaire the last time I was there (2007?). Not sure what’s at Great Village now.

Not much interest in the “remote” locations like there was back in the day…

Why not base some CAUKUS Nukes in Shelburne N.S.. Close to support in Groton and Newport news with deep water
a former RCN pier and a two hour drive to Halifax for Beer and orders.
I've heard CFS Shelburne is completely beyond recovery and has been sold into private hands, I can't imagine there being proper infrastructure in such a rural area to realistically support such a complex operation even not withstanding that property.

I don’t think either one will attract people to the silent service…all the outlier facilities are “remote” now it seems; Newport Corner was a “daily drive” (still Qs there but long drive to the dockyard). Mill Cove was staffed by a lone commissionaire the last time I was there (2007?). Not sure what’s at Great Village now.

Not much interest in the “remote” locations like there was back in the day…
If the money is right, they will come. Look at Deep River ON:

The Nuke Boat community would command CANSOFCOM Operator Money and would need to be treated by the rest of the RCN as the creme de la creme that it is. That would be the biggest challenge lol.

In the USN, the best Officers get streamed in to Naval Aviation, Nuke Boats & Seals.... in that order.

It would have to be SAR Tech pay for Shelburne. 😁

It wouldn’t be the crews so much, but they’re families. Not much employment and opportunity that far down the south shore IMO.

I had a buddy back in the earlier 90s who remustered from field engr to Ocean Op and got posted there. His wife wasn’t fond of it at all and she left after about a year.

Make the option for families to live somewhere like…Chester or “that side” of the HRM and it might be more palatable.

There is a long list major capital projects that the current and future governments must consider in order to modernize the CAF, improve recruiting and perhaps revitalize the domestic defence industry. A new White Paper by the future government will be required which will take into account the ever dynamic world security environment and fiscal reality.

I am of the opinion that no matter which party is in power, the defence budget will always come under intense scrutiny for cuts in order to serve the governing party's political interests and current public opinion. Submarines, by their nature, operates in the netherworld, which means that the general public knows that they exist but are not sure what they're doing and how important they are to national security. If the government and DND wants submarines they must be more transparent and clear to the public about the purpose of submarines and their vital contribution to national defence as a whole.

I am not sure if the current or future federal government will support a submarine replacement project and I believe that this decision will be based on the huge procurement cost and use of alternative defence assets to cover off most of the submarines capabilities. At this time I think that Canadians know that Communist China and Russia poses an existential security threat, but they are unsure how to counter it. They will prefer to use diplomatic means vice building a credible defence deterrent like submarines. I hope that I'm wrong.
Personally, I think that the Canadian population (those that are sheep) are hoping that a good, combined effort of 'Thoughts and Prayers' will get us through any difficult times with China and/or Russia in the future.

Well this is one way to increase the size of the Fleet, they also make an O-boat model as well

598dec56001b8.jpeg

Well this is one way to increase the size of the Fleet, they also make an O-boat model as well

598dec56001b8.jpeg
Does it come with a dent in the bow or do you have to drop it in order to make it more authentic?

Ok, bring on the hate.

Back