• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

It was interesting how the USN and RN trained and selected Skippers (at least back then).

There is a 4 part series of a Perisher course on YouTube you might enjoy if you’ve never seen it before:
Our prospective COs still do the perisher course, just now it is either the Dutch or Norwegian course since the RN is all NUC

Our prospective COs still do the perisher course, just now it is either the Dutch or Norwegian course since the RN is all NUC

I was wondering actually. I think I saw a documentary on that course as well? Fuzzy memory but IIRC it had a part that was extremely challenging nav portion…

Nice to see a forum mbr from the silent service too BTW!

I played Dangerous Water some and tried 688(I) and Sub Command…then…”upgraded”. 🙂

View attachment 76812

My friend, let me introduce you to "Cold Waters" 😉

iu

iu

iu

iu

And just for you:

ss_41b1d09cc729e048ee1648c9fd16e852b3454735.1920x1080.jpg

My friend, let me introduce you to "Cold Waters" 😉

I can’t believe I’ve never heard of or seen this before; and I’m on Steam for Pete sakes. Thanks !!

And just for you:

ss_41b1d09cc729e048ee1648c9fd16e852b3454735.1920x1080.jpg

Yaaaaaaa. So much better than when I was the Sea King pilot/crew on BMW course!!

Where is the link to the hotel they’re staying at? 🤔

Dude, this game will seriously kill hours of your life. It lives up the ASW moniker of "Absolutely Slow Warfare" .... 5kts and below will be your new best friend.

I once spent hours positioning myself to strike the Kuznetsov CBG got off a couple of mk48s and sunk it.

The swarm of Udaloys and MPA that followed absolutely merced me.

There are some other cool missions as well like Seal Insertions, Cruise Missile Strike missions, etc.

The campaign map updates depending on the results of your missions which influence the overall theatre of war.

The Company that makes this game also has a WW2 variant.

Suddenly, weeknights on IR might just go faster and I don’t have to worry about stuff like exercising or interacting with other people.

Fuck Yeah Yes GIF
I'm not a gamer but Is this on Xbox too..or just Steam? I have just the faintest idea what Steam is. Gaming Cloud?

I did play Harpoon.

Civilization is the only game I play now. It was always my favourite

I love Harpoon

Best ASW I ever had was being part of the Submarine Commander’s Course in Hawaii. A new miniwar every 3hrs for 3 days straight.

Three out of four of my kills that week were visual attacks on feathers…

Best ASW I ever had was being part of the Submarine Commander’s Course in Hawaii. A new miniwar every 3hrs for 3 days straight.

Three out of four of my kills that week were visual attacks on feathers…

Gotta love those cert sub moments! My 2 favorite exercises detection were IR ones at night, one periscope and one snort on black hot. Ops - a MAD Mark.

I had some decent Op Dets but I’d have to say Dynamic Manta 2015 was the best ASW trg - like your SCC, really good CASEXs that got progressively harder. Good confidence trg for sensor caps too. Detection opportunity - radar riser from a distance, into “eyes on, cert sub” from EO, followed up with on top or on top datum with MAD mark. Buoys in the water, and on it would go. At the end of the Ex it was more like “you are DS to this surface force, there might be a sub in this area. See ya”.

It was a superb ex and experience; we did some co-op with the STJ Sea King crews in the Med. Very cool experience.

I never did get a SCC in yet, which sucks because the locations are fantastic.

cert sub.jpg

Last edited:
Most books after that are ghost written or co-authored.

They just used his name.

But the most interesting part is he wrote Hunt for Red October researching open source material before the internet. Going to the library etc. Janes was an expensive book to buy.

Apparently he made educated guesses on some of the classified details for American subs, and was so accurate he was interviewed by the FBI on he knew. Although some details on the Typhoon and Lira classes are wildly off.

Back