• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Commander RCN talks submarines in Halifax

Article in the Trident with VAdm Topshee discussing the need for Canada to have submarines for national defence.

The RCN entity focusing on the plan for submarines is called the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project; it has been investigating options and determining Canada’s requirements for any future subs. These include the ability to perform precision attacks on patrol, to operate according to environmental standards in Canada’s Arctic, and the ability to operate discreetly for transits of up to 7,000 nautical miles and a minimum of 21 days under the sea without surfacing.

The current preferred approach for procuring new submarines is to purchase an off-the-shelf sub that is foreign designed and foreign built to minimize time and cost, and VAdm Topshee highlighted six designs currently being built or operated around the world in France, Germany, Korea, Spain, Japan and Sweden that are being studied by the CPSP as potentially meeting the RCN’s requirements. Of those, two are already in active service – Japan’s Taigei-class submarines and the Republic of Korea’s KSS III Batch II boats.

The RCN is looking at purchasing 8-12 boats to be split between the two coasts.
To avoid any capability gaps the new submarines must begin delivery in the mid 2030s.
Considering that it will take at least 15 years to design and build new vessels, Canada must make a decision soon to avoid having a gap in submarine capability.

Still waiting for the gov't to decide if it will commit to funding and buying submarines. I'm guessing the PM Trudeau will resign, within a few months, and his replacement will be saddled with this problem which means a decision will not be made for another 2 years.

Article in the Trident with VAdm Topshee discussing the need for Canada to have submarines for national defence.

To avoid any capability gaps the new submarines must begin delivery in the mid 2030s.
Considering that it will take at least 15 years to design and build new vessels, Canada must make a decision soon to avoid having a gap in submarine capability.

Still waiting for the gov't to decide if it will commit to funding and buying submarines. I'm guessing the PM Trudeau will resign, within a few months, and his replacement will be saddled with this problem which means a decision will not be made for another 2 years.
Unless the RCN controls the Mint, they are SOL...

Unless the RCN controls the Mint, they are SOL...
Pretty much this… ⬆️

The Government is doing everything in its power to kick the can down the road when it comes to investing in the country’s defence or influence. Defence Policy Update? 😆 NATO 2.0% 😆 The only time it *does anything is when it has Uncle Sam stick his hand up its backside and makes it invest in something (contrary to its election promises, etc.)

Last edited:
Pretty much this… ⬆️

The Government is doing everything in its power to kick the can down the road when it comes to investing in the country’s defence or influence. Defence Policy Update? 😆 NATO 2.0% 😆 The only time it doesn’t anything is when it has Uncle Sam stick his hand up its backside and makes it invest in something (contrary to its election promises, etc.)
I fervently hope a US President (Not Trump nor Biden) call out Canada as a wanna be middle power - and point out the flaws

Sounds like the last attempt to get nuke subs. Unless they are planning on the government to whittle them down to 6 subs which in my opinion is the bare minimum to have 1 operational on each coast.

Well, maybe a little bit of that…and my father was a nuclear physicist and involved with certification of the first CANDU reactors in the early-60s after working at AECL in Chalk River in the late-50s.
Your dad was a nuclear physicist!? Hoooollllyyyyyyy...

Well assuming you are 50% him, I'm thinking you are inherently smarter than the average cat

Doubtful. He's too narcissistic. My bet is he goes down with the ship and burns everything around him.
True he is a narcissist and has delusions of his influence and intelligence, but he also wants people to be aware of his legacy. He has passed legislation for national child care and national dental plan. I think that he will pass Pharmacare, which he thinks will cement his place in history as one of the greatest Canadian PM and then retire. After his retirement he will become a world diplomat / peace maker bring his ideas to the world to make it a better place, solve climate change, convincing everyone of feminist policies and political correctness. He will be the next Secretary-General of the United Nations ushering a golden age for the world.

Two years is very optimistic. This project is going to be so expensive and so full of potential to balloon in price, that every future Canadian federal government will want to avoid making that decision like the plague. This is a classic case of; "require 8-10, reduce it to 6-8, place the order, cancel the program after the first 4 are completed." A repeat of the Upholder Class. There has never been a Canadian govt in the history of our country that gives a fiddler's fart about submarine capability, except for BC, regarding CC1 and CC2. It's a shame bc 12 subs would be a very strong capability that we have never had. But I'll never live long enough to see that day. We have a history of minimalist military purchasing. 12 modern, insanely expensive to purchase and maintain, submarines will likely never get farther than the "wish list." But I guess the Navy needs to sate the requirements and hope for the best.

True he is a narcissist and has delusions of his influence and intelligence, but he also wants people to be aware of his legacy. He has passed legislation for national child care and national dental plan. I think that he will pass Pharmacare, which he thinks will cement his place in history as one of the greatest Canadian PM and then retire. After his retirement he will become a world diplomat / peace maker bring his ideas to the world to make it a better place, solve climate change, convincing everyone of feminist policies and political correctness. He will be the next Secretary-General of the United Nations ushering a golden age for the world.

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Back