• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Pension- Merged

I would like to keep the Reserve Pension somewhat in the forefront. With all that is going on, especially the casualties, the opposition parties trying to make points, etc the subject is small potatoes. My son-in-law is in the sandbox for 9 months, possibly 12. He will be back in Nov or plus 3 months. He is in a FOB with the Romanians. I worry about him every day. His children are vacationing with us now, to give their Mum a break. Anyway.

As stated in a Jun post - "The buy back will be restricted to 35 years of Pensionable Service, which means from the date enrolled to the CIF date of the CFPMP. I always thought if would be calculated by adding up all your
Cl A, B, B"A", and C service and converting this into years of Paid CF Service as it is done now to a max of 35 years of Paid CF Service. The Pensionable Service formula means, for example, is that you take your best 5 years of salary, times 2%, times the number of days you were paid in one year, divided by 365 days. That would be your pension entitlement for that year. Add all your years of pension entitlement up (max 35 calender years) and that's your annual pension. For myself, the formula means a reduction of $8/9,000 per year of what I estimated all my service would equal as Paid CF Service. Do not forget, as a Cl A reserve the number of days you could parade have always been restricted, thus so has future pension contributions."

"Using the formula of CF Pensionable Service ( vice Paid CF Service as it is now) , 7% compound interest ( vice 4% simple interest as it is now), is really shoveling this at us. Add the adjustment to actual earnings by a WAGE ADJUSTMENTS to reflect increases in pay over the years, the increased contribution rates this year, and next year, buy back will be very expensive and the continued delay of CIF plus the 7% compound interest is just plain screwing us."

Even the civil servants in Ottawa currently doing buyback calculations are not aware of these changes. They are still quoting  4% simple interest, and adding all your time ( Cl A @ 1/4 time), divide by 365, equals years of Paid CF Service. Of course, this is the current regs. To me this proves the new buy back scheme is not to our advantage. If you are considering a CT to the Reg F, or have previous military, RCMP, or public service to buy back do it now or before Mar 07, other wise it will cost you.

To further indicate how much more it will cost you, consider the new WAGE ADJUSTMENT which is correctly called WAGE MEASURE on the CFPMP website. For an example as to how this works, see Q 11b, and Q 11c, including example 2 & 3 ( Here's how this might look) at the FAQ's on the website http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dgcb/cfpmp/engraph/faq_e.asp?sidesection=5&sidecat=17,and the CF Personnel Newsletter, Issue 5/06 at  http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/5_06/5_06_e.asp. As a personal  example, using the year 1989 which is shown in their examples, this is how it works (rounding off): Take the 5 most recent wage measures (2007-2003 ), add them up ($528) , times actual earnings ($43,000), equals $212784, then divide by 5 times the wage measure for 1989 ($254) equals $ 83770. Therefore instead of buying back $40300, I will be buying back $83770. That's at the increased contribution rates (for 2007) of 4.6% for everything under YMPE and 8.1% for everything over YMPE. Plus add 7% compound interest from 1989 to 2007. What I receive in a pension for 1989 is 2% of the best 5 years, divided by 365, times the number of paid days of service. So the contribution rate is greatly increased, but the pension received apparently is not.

The wage measure is based on the most populace rank in the CF: Cpl.  But is this at Reg F pay scale or P Res? It was not until 1999  that our pay became 85% of Reg F, plus all the same pay incentives vice two incentives. If  the formula is based on a Reg F Cpl, I think it is a disadvantage to a P Res buy back.

For P Res mbrs who have been KIA, if the Reserve Pension had CIF, and they had bought it back on the installment plan, on their death their beneficiary would have received a survivor pension of 50%. As they were killed on duty,  the pension would have been considered paid up, with no further payments required. A great benefit, especially if there were children, which increases the benefit.

Rifleman...
the way you write, you've already made up your mind that the reserve pension plan is not a good thing.  In spite of the fact that, whatever $ you put in, the gov't will put in just as much......

If you feel that this is not a good deal - then don't sign up for it....
Given that you did not sign up in the reserves because of the reserve pension, this is, at best, found money.  If that doesn't please ya - give it a pass.................

Geo,

When I joined 44 years ago, it was not for pay and/or pension. Of course it's a good thing. I will sign up for it. The pension will beat the stock market RRSP and buying a RIF at 69 YOA. It will be a good benefit for those just joining. The point I am trying to make is that the buy back formula methodology may need to be re evaluated. I personally think it is not to the advantage of those with lots of time in. Pers with 10, 15, 20 YOS may not be in the same position as pers with long service. I just want this to be a fair and equitable buy back for everyone. Do you think 7% compound interest if fair compared with 4% simple interest?

I don't think the government actually puts any money in. They just guarantee that you will get x amount of $ for as per superannuation contract . In fact they removed $27 Billion from all three superannuation plans and are in Federal court for that action.

It is not exactly found money. That's why there was a big surplus of $27 billion. People are dying before collecting, or only collecting for a short period.

Further to my post of 19 Aug, re the Wage Measure. In 1989, I made $40,300 as a Capt, IPC 2 ( Max IPC at that time). Applying the Wage Measure, I must buy back $ 83,770. Using the current pay rates, a P Res Capt, IPC 10 makes $ 70,898. So where does the CFPMP get off saying my  buyback as a Capt in 1989, is $12,872 more than a Capt actually makes now? Plus of course 7% compound interest 1989 to 2007(?).
I have been informed by several people (one very high on the food chain), that they have been told not to count on a CIF date of Mar 07. One was told not to fret about a delayed CIF date as they would get the Reserve Pension as per CANFORGEN 090/06 CF Pension Modernization Implementation Delay Transfer To Supp List. Well, it sure did not take long for "them" to start using the CANFORGEN to justify a further delay.  " Still lots of work to do" they were told.
I have contacted the CF Ombudsman to see if I can launch a complaint, re the delay in CIF. An investigator informed me that they cannot investigate a policy that is not in force, nor will they investigate the delay of the CIF, as again it is not in effect. Also cannot redress a policy that is not in effect.
So, I contacted my Member of Parliament, and made a complaint. I bet he gets a nebulous reply from the Minister stating every effort is being made to get the Reserve Pension CIF. Then I will go back and ask for the specific date.
Maybe the Reserve Pension will CIF in Mar 07. What do you think?

Rifleman62,

I am using the date of 1 Oct 06 as the cut off date for believing it will be implemented on 1 Apr 07.  If the policy on how it will be implemented is not articulated at this point, it will be delayed again. 

Cheers,

Rifleman62

Another factor to take into consideration, is that you will not 'buy back' that time at the 1989 rate, but at the current rate for the current rank that you are presently holding.

George Wallace said:
Rifleman62
Another factor to take into consideration, is that you will not 'buy back' that time at the 1989 rate, but at the current rate for the current rank that you are presently holding.

George, Nope - pay rates are as they were in the years they were earned... annualized & interest calculations factored in.

Will querry one of my former Sgts who is currently in the Pension shop - see what the scuttlebut is at this time.....

geo said:
George, Nope - pay rates are as they were in the years they were earned... annualized & interest calculations factored in.
So.....this is different from what happens in the Regular Force and could be perceived as being unfair.  When you want to pay back your Reserve time in the Regular Force, (towards your Pension) you will pay back at a rate calculated on your current rate of pay and current rank.  That is why it is best to do it as soon as possible as a young Pte, not later when you are a higher rank.  I can not see the same principles not being applied to the Reserve Pension should it ever happen.  There must therefore be a 'Grandfather Clause' set up for the initiation of the Program, that will disappear once the Plan has be implemented for a couple of years.

George,..... this is all part of the pension modernisation.
What was then and what will be should demonstrate progress (VS regression)

Reservists going in to the Regs at this time will probably have grounds for grievance ONCE the reserve pension 1.1 plan is brought into force.

geo said:
Reservists going in to the Regs at this time will probably have grounds for grievance ONCE the reserve pension 1.1 plan is brought into force.

geo, just trying to understand what me might be able to do.  Would this be because if a member was still in the reserves that they would have had the opportunity to buy back at the rate they were earned, and that they should still have that option, as it wouldn't be their fault that the implementation was so delayed?

ssomething like that.
People going over right now are provided the package as it has been offered for the past umpteen years.  Plan 1.1 will only come into effect next year (?TBC) so the CF is unable to apply future aspects to something that is not in force yet.....
Once 1.1 is in place and in force, you'll prolly be offered some options OR if you aren't, ask for the correction - to which they will either accept or reject...... to said decision you can demand redress.......

Does anyone know when the next DND update is? Having read all the posts so far - I see lots of conjecture but that`s it, not a bad thing - maybe we should concentrate on how to precipitate more info out of the system.

Time for Mr. O'Connor to speak. The Pension Office Website isn't shouting info as you can see from the last updated indicator - as in Last Modified : 2003-03-06

The Website link http://www.dnd.ca/dgcb/dpsp/engraph/reservepp_e.asp?sidesection=5&sidecat=16

I don't think I am being too critical - We should be getting info and we're not.

Can reserve time be bought back for any Federal pension or just the Reg Force? When people talk about the cutoff at 1985, are yousaying that all time before then will not be counted?

George Wallace said:
So.....this is different from what happens in the Regular Force and could be perceived as being unfair.  When you want to pay back your Reserve time in the Regular Force, (towards your Pension) you will pay back at a rate calculated on your current rate of pay and current rank.  That is why it is best to do it as soon as possible as a young Pte, not later when you are a higher rank.  I can not see the same principles not being applied to the Reserve Pension should it ever happen.  There must therefore be a 'Grandfather Clause' set up for the initiation of the Program, that will disappear once the Plan has be implemented for a couple of years.

George:

It's been a decade since I went over this content, but as I recall, on transfer to the Regs, reservists have 1 year to elect in which they can buy back their time at their Reserve rank and IPC for the peroid when they earned it; and after 1 year, elections are paid at your current rank and IPC  So, for example, a Res Capt transferring tothe Regs could buy back his time based on his time as an OCdt, 2Lt, Lt and then Capt at each of those rank levels; but if he waited more than a year, he would have to pay for all his time at his current Reg F ramnk and IPC.

(See the CFSA, para 7(1)(g) and (h) for details on elections within one year; the CFSA Regulations dictate the payback for elections after one year (CFSA 7(1)(l) states this))

DA Paterson

Correct.

Question is: why would they make it different for Reservists opting into a Reserve Pension?  This may explain the inconsistancies in what Rifleman62 was stating in his post.

Colin P said:
Can reserve time be bought back for any Federal pension or just the Reg Force? When people talk about the cutoff at 1985, are yousaying that all time before then will not be counted?
.... before 1.1 comes into place, you can buy back your time for a federal gov't pension BUT, you would have to pay both yours & govt's share of contributions + interest, etc.... not as good a deal.
Time before 1985 not being counted?.... thought I read that you could go back as far as your years of service would take you BUT, there is a max of 35 yrs of "Full time" pension contributions. Based on old calculations, reservists would count 4 Part time yers for each Full time years so... 35 yrs is way more than anyone can book.

George:

My guess is that for the first year after implementation Reservists will be able to elect based on past rank and IPC; once that grace period is gone, the other rules will aply.

However, since the "Part I.1" (part-time) pension is based solely on earnings this may be a moot point.  It will mainly be of concern to Res F members who have 55 of 60 months full-time - they will have a year to elect buyback at historical vice current rank levels.  It will be interesting to see how any deltas between part I.1 and part I contributions are resolved.

But here's the real question about reserve pensions:  How many redresses of greivance will implementation bring about?

dapaterson

My thoughts are pretty much along those same lines.  It will be interesting to see it implemented, and I think that these are questions that may be holding the process up.

Sorry for mixed signals, I found the updated Pension Modernisation site at forces.gc.ca with far more than at dnd.ca.

I just asked the contact email

I'm curious if there are any updates coming on the Reserve Pension.

Is it on track for implementation in Jan 07?

When can we / or should we expect to get an analysis of our service records to see how much we have to come up with?

Back