• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Pension- Merged

More ammo/heat. A local reporter,  reporting on local news.

http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=293283&catname=Local+News&classif=News+%2D+Local

The Kingston-Whig Standard

Reserve soldiers rejoice

Brock Harrison
Local News - Tuesday, November 28, 2006 Updated @ 11:19:15 PM

It’s been more than three years since Ottawa approved pensions for military reservists, but work has now started on establishing the retirement plans.

Officers at CFB Kingston are conducting an audit of reservist employment at the base for the purpose of classifying reservists into either the full-time or part-time pension plans that will be available starting in March, according to an e-mail that originated from Land Force Doctrine Training Centre headquarters.

Rifleman 62:

Thanks for your post and all the excellent information in it.  I just have one question, for you or anyone who may have some comments in relation to  para 7 of your post (as below).    My question is this:  if the CF has been in breach of the Pension and Benefits Standard Act since 1985, then why (according to my understanding of all the info available) are they only "back dating" the pension to 1999.  Would they not be responsible to back date the pension to the time that they "began" to be in breach of the Act - i.e. 1985?  ???

Thanks in advance.

Rifleman62 said:
7. The studies and the legislation validate, categorically, the need for a pension for the Reserves.  Legislation at references P and R, legalize a Reserve pension.  The CF has been since 1985, and still is in breach of, the Pension Benefits Standard Act, reference T, and has acknowledged this at reference W.  Bill C-78 in 1999, reference P, introduced significant amendments to the CFSA which included the flexibility to create a pension plan for the Reserves through regulations as recommended in 1995 at references H and W.

After you push Send, there is always something you could have added or corrected! My letter should have said " is in breach of the principal  of the PBSA" vice" is in breach of the PBSA"
First, I am not a lawyer. My interpretation is that the Federal Govt is not subject to the PBSA. But would it be ethical to enact legislation to regulate private sector pensions and not regulate the pensions under control of the Govt? When you research pension legislation amendments on the Canada.ca site you run across this "Although the CFSA is not subject to the provisions of the Pension Benefits Standards Act, 1985 (PBSA), this new method of calculating interest is consistent with the requirements of the PBSA in that it provides a rate of interest that reflects the gains and losses attributable to the investment results of the Canadian Forces Pension Fund." Also the CFSA, in other guises, predates the PBSA.
I believe we won the battle to buy back all of our time. A precedent was set when the Public Service part timers were allowed to buyback from 1 Jan 1981. Does anyone else remember seeing that definitively? How could the Govt not allow Reservists to buyback their time to at least 1 Jan 1981 with new legislation. Now you can buy back all your time if you join the Public Service (full & part time), RCMP (full & part time)or the CF (Regular Force only). Fair?
Buying back all of our time has been changed from what it is now i.e. now you add up all your time (some restrictions on how days are counted), divide by 365 days gives you x number of years Paid CF Service. The proposal is CF Pensionable Service which is calender years from the date of enrolment to CIF. That only hurts old timers, of which there is very few with service prior to 1972, which is the maxi um 35 years Pensionable Service you can contribute to in 2007. A year ago there was 1063 Reservist still in who enrolled prior to 1986 (might be 1981, have to check my records. It is one or the other. 1981 corelates to the changes to the PSSA buyback). We could not afford it anyway.

Rifleman62 said:
Buying back all of our time has been changed from what it is now i.e. now you add up all your time (some restrictions on how days are counted), divide by 365 days gives you x number of years Paid CF Service. The proposal is CF Pensionable Service which is calender years from the date of enrolment to CIF. That only hurts old timers, of which there is very few with service prior to 1972, which is the maxi um 35 years Pensionable Service you can contribute to in 2007. A year ago there was 1063 Reservist still in who enrolled prior to 1986. We could not afford it anyway.

I had the opportunity last summer to ask BGen Tabbernor a general question about the pension.  After seeing my rank and asking my years of service he told me that "if you can afford to buy back your years, you probably don't need a pension".

Re: General Tabbenor to hold 2nd Live Town Hall
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 15:20:00 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Candian Forces Pension Modernization Plan.

Similar to tease the soldier plan, sorry I mean Clothe the Soldier Plan

Coming Into Force (Start of the Pension Plan)

Re: General Tabbenor to hold 2nd Live Town Hall
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 17:16:09 » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very good charlesm!!
I equate the CFPMP to the Gun Registry, the DND Gun Registry. It goes on forever, doesn't meet its targets, and costs a bundle. Except in DNDs case its not taxpayers, but Reservists who will pay through the nose.

CFSA has a 15.6 Billion surplus now. But: The Canadian Forces Superannuation Act (CFSA), was most recently amended by Bill C-78, which came into force on 1 April 2000.
Management of the Surplus: Previous legislation contained no provision for dealing with surpluses in the Superannuation Account. The current surplus will be retired over a period of up to 15 years, and the legislation provides a means of properly managing future surpluses. 

CANFORGEN 121/05 CDS 060/05 071600Z JUL 05
RESERVE FORCE PENSION PLAN

7. COUNTING OF PAST SERVICE - MEMBERS WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO ELECT TO PAY THE AMOUNT REQUIRED TO COUNT ALL PAST RESERVE SERVICE

9. WITH THE INTRODUCTION OF THE RESERVE FORCE PENSION PLAN, THE RESERVE FORCE RETIREMENT GRATUITY WILL BE AMENDED SO THAT BENEFITS PROVIDED AFTER THE DATE THE NEW PLAN COMES INTO FORCE WILL BE CALCULATED ON THE BASIS OF ACTUAL TIME SERVED. HOWEVER, BENEFITS IN RESPECT OF SERVICE OCCURING PRIOR TO THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE PENSION PLAN WILL CONTINUE TO BE CALCULATED ON AN QUOTE ELAPSED TIME UNQUOTE BASIS

19. THIRTY-FIVE YEAR CAP - LIKE OTHER FEDERAL PUBLIC SECTOR PENSION PLANS, THE RESERVE FORCE PENSION PLAN WILL INCLUDE A THIRTY-FIVE YEAR CAP ON THE NUMBER OF YEARS OF PENSIONABLE SERVICE A MEMBER CAN ACQUIRE; HOWEVER, CREDITS UNDER OTHER FEDERAL PLANS WILL NOT BE COUNTED FOR THIS PURPOSE NOR WILL CREDITS UNDER THE RESERVE PLAN COUNT TOWARDS THE THIRTY-FIVE YEAR LIMIT IN THE OTHER FEDERAL PLANS

I am not a pension regulation specialest, but if the RFRG is going to be amended to actual time served, should not the buyback be on the same basis rather than calender year?

Subject: info médias - 28 nov
>
> ARTICLES
>
> Pension
> PUBLICATION: Kingston Whig-Standard (ON)
> DATE: 2006.11.28
> SECTION: Front
> PAGE: 1
> BYLINE: Brock Harrison
> ILLUSTRATION: HENAULT
> WORD COUNT: 457
>
> Reserve soldiers rejoice; Pension plan available by March
>
> It's been more than three years since Ottawa approved pensions for military reservists, but work has now started on establishing the retirement plans.
> Officers at CFB Kingston are conducting an audit of reservist employment at the base for the purpose of classifying reservists into either the full-time or part-time pension plans that will be available starting in March, according to an e-mail that originated from Land Force Doctrine Training Centre headquarters.
> "Master Warrant Officer [Chris] Radway, over the next four months [will] be contacting all Kingston reserve personnel to confirm their complete employment history to assist in the transition to a reserve pension," the e-mail states.
> Parliamentarians cleared the way for reserve pensions three years ago, when John McCallum was the Liberal minister of national defence, by amending the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act to include pension plans for full- and part-time reservists.
> The logistical legwork required to set up the fund was to finish by 2005, the defence ministry said at the time. The pensions were meant as a way to make the reserves attractive to job-seekers.
> "We need to be competitive in the job market," said Gen. Ray Henault, Chief of the Defence Staff, at the time.
> Establishing reservist pensions has been an issue reservists have talked about for "a very long time," says CFB Kingston spokesman Capt. Dan Madryga.
> "The fact that there's light at the end of the tunnel is something the reserve folks will be happy about," Madryga said.
> Canada's reserve soldiers total about 27,500 in army, navy, air force, health services and communications units across the country. The Canadian Rangers, who patrol remote parts of Canada, and the Cadets Instructors Cadre, a unit of reserve officers that support the cadet program, are also classified as reservists.
> Most reservists are students or hold down part-time or full-time civilian jobs, but some work full-time hours in the military. Those who do, however, are typically paid less than regular force soldiers, who do have pensions, for the same type of work.
> In Afghanistan, 13 per cent of Canada's 2,300-member contingent are reservists who volunteered their services, leaving their civilian lives
> Local reservist Etien Leichner says it's recognition of what they offer to Canadians.
> A lot of reservists commit large periods of time to the service. It is good to see this recognized, Leichner said. Reservists will be eligible to make retroactive payments. Eligible members will be able to count all prior reserve force time and regular force time for which they received a return of contributions, said national defence spokesperson Aarin Bronson.
> Reservists who will no longer be with the Canadian Forces by the time the pensions are implemented in March may still be eligible to receive benefits. They are being encouraged to contact their administration officers about transferring to the supplementary reserve a voluntary call-up list of former Canadian Forces regular and reserve force personnel in order to keep their pension options open.
>

Rifleman62:

With all do respect, I appreciate the offer, but I will decline to PM you my forces.gc.ca e-mail address.  Not because I have anything to hide, but because I do not feel the need to justify my identity.  I have already stated that I am not from NDHQ and that I am not trying to finesse (as you put it) anything.  If that is not enough and you still feel the need to be cautious or concerned in replying to me, then by all means, please feel free not to respond to my questions.

I apologize for not putting your fears to rest and also if my questions have spooked you but I, like many other reservists, are frustrated at the lack of information coming from "official sources" and was hoping that someone here could assist in answering my questions.

BTW, I am not sure that I appreciate the term "lurking", I trust it was posted in good humour.

Rifleman62 said:
Geo, I will ask. It is probably updating RPSR, and any pay docs from archives into HRMS as we did in our BDE.

Rifleman 62: I can tell you with certainty that he is, in fact, sorting out the HRMS records for those Reservists employed by/in LFDTS.

I know that many other sections/units are in a similar race to get their ducks in a row in HRMS before the CIF.

Data quality and accuracy between HRMS and RPSR is going to be a huge issue come the CIF date.  The scary thing is that users/units have generally only paid lip service to Reserve data quality until recently. 

There's a lot of work to be done.

The 2 weeks have passed, and no announcement/clarification. The letter went direct by email to the VCDS, who read it 22 minutes later. He sent several emails to senior Reservists. If he spoke to CMP, I do not know . Hopfully he did, but at least the VCDS is aware. This past week, I was "persuaded" not to communicate direct, and to use the chain of command, which I did. My Bde Comd signed off a letter on Wednesday, which was emailed to the Comd LFWA ( who supports). I am anticipating he will bring the matter up very shortly with the CLS.
I will ask your forbearance and post the revised letter, less the references which are the same. Some pointed comments. Removed some personal stuff. Major changes in bold.
So we have LFWA on our side. If you want to, feel free to use this letter/info for your own use. If NDHQ does not come out with an announcement sometimes soon, I will give up on the chain of command, and proceed with another course of action. Sorry recceguy, I am determined to see this through.

1.The issue of the very long overdue implementation of a Reserve Pension has a substantial potential for dishonor to the CF, as well as embarrassment to the government.  The two agencies that would normally deal with this matter, the CF Grievance Board, and the CF Ombudsman, cannot act on a complaint where no regulations, orders or instructions exist.

2.          I am writing to convey my tremendous disappointment with the Department’s handling of the Reserve pension issue.  It is very clear to me and many of my colleagues that despite what is said by our leadership, the quality of life of Reservists is not an obvious and significant priority for the Department.  If this were not so, I would not have to express to you the years of waiting that Reserves have been assured, yet denied a Reserve pension.

3.            We in the CF are a small family, often called the Regimental Family.  The Reserves, who make up 40% of the CF, are members of this family.  With every casualty, we all feel the pain. 

4. There has been a magnitude of studies, references A – J, and legislation, references P and R, over at least a 20-year period on a Reserve pension.  Reserve members feel there is a lack of resolve to implement a fair and equitable pension plan on a timely basis.  Combined with delays, and a vacuum of current conclusive information, very many feel betrayed.  The phases “Total Force” (circ 1987) and “Putting People First”, as denoted at references K and M, appear to be hollow slogans.

5. “Currently, Reservists are the only part-time component of the federal Government without a pension plan” CDS Annual Report, 1999-2000, reference M.  Bill C-55, introduced in 1992, reference Q, amended the PSSA to allow contributions by part time employees after 6 month's service.  Highlights are:  prorated pension according to amount worked (service is not prorated, only the pension); participation based upon average work week (scheduled employment vice actual hours worked); requirement to work a minimum average of 12 hours per week; a grandfather clause; buyback of previous pensionable service from 1 Jan 1981; and the Supplementary Death Benefits Plan.  Back then Treasury Board President, Art Eggleton, commenting on the revised public service pensions, stated:  “It’s just a measure of fairness.”

6. Bill C-55 directed that part time employees of the Federal Government be provided access to a pension plan.  The Department was well aware of the proposed legislation and the effect it would have on DND and its civilian employees.  However Bill C-55 failed to recognize Reservists specifically as part time employees of the Federal Government.  Enactment left Reservists with no pension accessibility.  Reservists on operations and full time employment are working along-side public servants who have pension accessibility after 12 hours per week.  With all the studies and the acknowledgement of the requirement for a Reserve pension, it is incredible that the CF did not exercise due diligence and act immediately to rectify this inequity in 1992.

7. The studies and the legislation validate, categorically, the need for a pension for the Reserves.  Legislation at references P and R, legalize a Reserve pension.  The CF has been since 1985, and still is in breach of, the principals the Pension Benefits Standard Act, reference T, and has acknowledged this at reference W.  Bill C-78 in 1999, reference P, introduced significant amendments to the CFSA which included the flexibility to create a pension plan for the Reserves through regulations as recommended in 1995 at references H and W.

8. In Sep 1999, reference N, the Minister of National Defence directed that a Reserve Pension Plan be implemented.  To that end, a project was started.  It is reasonable that the CF had the capability to have had regulations enacted to create a Reserve pension within 12 months, by Sept 2000.

9. Two of the four phases of Reserve Force Pension Project were completed, reference N, when a proposal was made to stop the stand-alone pension project.  A review of the CFSA to redefine pension arrangements for either full-time or part-time was commenced.  AFC, 27 Feb 01, Record of Decisions, reference O, pension plan for the Reserve states “AFC agreed with the intent to modernise the CF pension plan to accommodate both full time and part-time service provided it can be accomplished without incurring additional delays”.  Replying to SCONDVA in the 2002 Annual Report on QOL, reference L, it was stated that The Reserve Force Pension Project has been combined with the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act (CFSA) Review Project to establish the CFPMP.  This required new legislation, reference R, Bill C-37, Nov 2003.  Based on where we are today, the decision of AFC in Feb 01 has been ignored.

10. In 1992 legislation was enacted for pension accessibility for all Federal employees except Reserves.  In 1999, new legislation was enacted to establish a Reserve pension.  A Reserve pension has not been established to date, seven years later, violating the PBSA and the intent of Bill C-78.  The Department has already failed to deliver a Reserve pension despite numerous broadly communicated CIF dates.  The Mar 07 CIF date appears to be in jeopardy.  CMP will not answer a direct question regarding CIF date of Mar 07.  The Mar 07 CIF should be full implementation, not a token CIF.  The Reserves are integral to CF Operations, and three Reservists have been KIA without CFSA availability to their beneficiaries.  Some Reserve personnel must make life decisions regarding SISIP rehabilitation benefits which will only be granted once they are released from the CF.  If they take that release before CIF, they will not be entitled to CFSA.

11. Reservists will be charged 7% compound interest on buyback of pension contributions.  That is a violation of the PSSA, and the CFSA, references U and V, and indeed what Members of Parliament, reference S, are charged.  The current rate in all cases is 4% simple interest.  An example of $100,000 total pension buyback amount (including 7% compound interest on contributions for all years to 2000) owing as of 2000, delayed payment to the CIF date of 2007, is an astronomical $60,578 in additional compound interest. Many Reservists will conclude that buyback is not affordable and, consequently, discriminatory.  Compound interest of 7% is punitive.

12. This punitive interest rate is Treasury Board driven, accepted by DND during negotiations for Reserve Pension buyback provisions.  Compound interest at 7% is utterly provocative as well as blatantly unwarranted.  A precedent was established with Bill C-55, which sanctioned contributions by part time employees and authorized buyback of previous pensionable service from 1 Jan 1981.  DND did not have to yield to Treasury Board as a precedent had been established.  Treasury Board must be consistent with this precedent and endorse comparable regulations for Reservists.

13. While awaiting CIF, some former Reservists will be drawing income from their RRSPs that will have to be in some cases, completely liquidated to buyback the Reserve pension.  This draw down will mean a diminished rate of return even at the same interest rate, of the reduced principal value of the RRSP.  Concurrently 7% compound interest will be accumulating on the buyback amount.  Doubly punitive.

14. I anticipate thousands of requests for Redress of Grievances upon CIF if the provisions of the Reserve pension do not match current government plans and legislation.

15. At this late date, Reservists are now being advised to acquire their pay records from archived records.  At the same time they are being advised that the RDS pay records from 1976 to the implementation in 1998 of the RPSR have to be reconstructed and will not be available by CIF.  Library and Archives Canada, in Jan 2006, advised “Please keep in mind that due to the lack of legislation governing record keeping practices, militia records were often destroyed.”.  Written requests to archives receive a reply that “clients should expect to wait six months for a response”.  Why this is now being communicated to Reservists, and the fact that RDS records must be reconstructed, three years after Bill C-37 was enacted, and four months from the Mar 07 CIF date is truly remarkable.

16. References X and Y are my 1998 request for Redress of Grievance regarding the denial of the right and opportunity to contribute to a Reserve pension plan.  The then-CDS’s reply, of Jan 02, took 43 months to state, “I support your grievance, however I do not have the authority to grant redress on this matter” due to current CFSA regulations. However, he “instructed the ADM (HR-Mil) to examine the findings and track the process”. The CF Grievance Board “further recommends that the process of implementation of a Reserve pension plan be accelerated as much as possible to ensure that reservists are entitled to fair and equitable treatment as compared to their peers from the Regular Force”.  Some acceleration.  All legislation is now in force, has been since 1999, and a Reserve pension is still not in force.

17. Reference Z, while not on the subject of pensions, rather restricted release policy, states at Para 3:  “The MND, CDS, and ADM(PER) have made it quite clear that indiv mbrs of the CF will not suffer as result of poor administration or bad advice of either the chain of command or NDHQ directorates.”.  Has this policy changed?

18. I intend to use every avenue at my disposal to win this battle, and win quickly.  This indifference to Reservists’ entitlement to a pension, granted by law, has caused several years of dissension between me and my wife of 38 years.  My responses to her consistent remarks that “you will never get it” are ‘it’s the law, and family looks after family”.  Is family looking after family?

19. Two Principals of Leadership:  “Keep subordinates informed; explain events and decisions” and “Treat subordinates fairly; respond to their concerns; represent their interests” must be executed.

20. Reservists cannot discern the information they require to make life-time decisions, due to a distinct lack of communication of explicit facts.  Very little conclusive information is available on the CFPMP website.  The PowerPoint presentation is current as of March 06.  The CF Pension Home Page, Calculating Your Pension, is horribly out of date, and is limited to some members of the Regular Force only.  There is no information on how to calculate buyback other than it will be calculated with 7% compound interest.  Is the Reserve Force Retirement Gratuity grandfathered for current members as stated at reference N?  There is a wall of secrecy.  There would be many questions on the fairness of the Reserve pension, if Reservists knew the facts.  We do not.

21. Reservists must be equal members of the CF.  A Reserve pension must be non-discriminatory and equitable.  The Department must reverse the punitive 7% compound interest to be charged on buyback to the current 4% simple interest rate.  The Department must not compel Reservists to pay any interest charges on buyback commencing Sep 99, when Bill C-78 legislated a pension for Reserves.  It is the Department that failed to bring in a Reserve pension.  Reservists must not pay the penalty IAW reference Z.

22. An equitable, affordable Reserve pension should have been in place many years ago.  There is urgency in this matter, as it must be resolved prior to regulations being enacted stipulating 7% compound interest.  An immediate option would envision the CDS engaging the Minister to petition the President of the Treasury Board to re-establish an equitable interest rate.

It appears that the final iteration of the pension regulations will not formally go before Treasury Board until early in 2007 (there have been over 30 versions flying back and forth between DND and TB); until TB approval is received such information remains "Cabinet Confidential" and cannot be promulgated.

All this to say, hurry up and wait...

DAP,
Correct me if I am wrong, per your last post, does this mean that the new pension regulations must be approved by the TB for the Cabinet AND the house?  Or is the House approval already "in the bank" with the original legislation?

That being said, if the Lib, NDP & PQ gang up on the Gov't and make the house fall, will this push back decisions once again, ad nauseum?

Tks much

Chimo!

As the authorising legislation states that the "Governor in Council may make regulations", it means that Parliament has delegated the responsibility to make those regulations to the GiC (usually the Privy Council... it's been years since my Gov't of Canada theory courses,so I may make some technical errors).  There is no requirement to return to the House of Commons (strictly speaking, Parliament) for further authority.  As this invovles the expenditure of considerable amounts of public money, it must be approved by Treasury Board to ensure compliance with applicable federal legilation and regulation, and compliance with intent.  Much of the big picture work has been resolved between DND and TB (that's what the first 30 or so versions were all about ;) ), but the final, complete package still has to be blessed prior to the GiC issuing regulations.

A fall of government could impair the ability of TB to take action; I'm not enough of an expert on the internal processes of government to be able to state what would happen. 

Ahhh.... thanks

Considering that TB and GiC are chaired by the party in power, a falling gov't agenda would be shelved till a new one gets into place.... and then it becomes a matter of what sort of promisses were made on the campaign trail - taking precedence in the early days of the new gov't.... would be my spin on this matter. BUT again, what do I know?

Spoke directly to the Director General Compensations and Benefits yesterday. She confirms that 1 Mar 07 is the "no fail" CIF date. We have lost the 7% compound interest battle. I can understand why, especially for Cl A and short term service Reservists, the vast majority. Pers with long service, a very small minority, and those with long full time service, a very small minority, will take the hit. The rational is the RFRG, is based on calender years, vice paid service. Therefore a Reservists, for example, may parade 50 days in a year, but gets the benefit of 365 days towards the RFRG. Consequently, on CIF, the RFRG is grandfathered, and with buy back a reservist will get two benefits, a CFSA pension and the RFRG, based on calender years vice paid service. Balancing those facts with 4% simple and 7% compound interest, those in charge think it is fair as the RFRG is very liberal. Am I making sense? A response to my letter to the VCDS is coming. Guess who is drafting the reply?

We better hope, that if an election is called it is called in Mar 07, or later.

Sevarance gratuity.  Yeah, full year share for even those who did their 37.5 days Cl A and 14 days Cl B Milcon per year... 
RFRG ceiling is 210 days = 30 years.....  what about those who have been in for say... 35 yrs?
RFRG is only paid when the person releases.... so, when CIF rolls in, those who have a bundle owed to them.... will owe a bundle.... at a compound 7% (and they are not going to pay me 7% compound on the RFRG they will owe me).
Which means we would have to cash in RRSPs to buy the pension $$$.  This year my RRSP fund manager has me making something like 12.8% on the $$$ I have invested with him.

Geo

Do not cash in your RRSPs to buyback the pension. You will pay tax based on your current earnings. Transfer your RRSPs to the CFSA pension, therefor no tax. The CFSA pension is a Registered Pension Plan (RPP), and CRA will allow a transfer from RRSP to a RPP. IAW the Past Service Pension Adjustment (PSPA) Nov 05 fact sheet on the CFPMP website: " You will be able to buy back past service or earnings related to any years since 1990, as long as you have enough corresponding amount of unused RRSP deduction room. If you don't, you can create this deduction room by CASHING in existing RRSPs, or using that money to buy back service. Under Income Tax Act rules, a Past Service Pension Adjustment (PSPA) results whenever you buy back pension benefits for service since 1990.That PA would have limited how much you would have been able to contribute to your RRSP".
THIS IS A ERROR, which is partially corrected in Example 2: " Therefore, under tax law, Max will be allowed to buy back the past service as long as he WITHDRAWS at least $45,000 from his RRSP, or transfers all or part of it to the CFSA pension plan to pay for the buyback".  Do not withdraw. You will pay tax. Transfer.
The same goes for the RFRG. Have it paid to the RPP to buyback, therefore no tax. If you do not need it to buyback the RPP, have it paid to a RRSP, therefore no tax.
The same fact sheet states: "Whether your buyback application includes pre-1990 or post-1990 service or earnings, the CRA must still certify the PSPA for your service since 1990 for you to be able to buy back your pensionable service or earnings". I have contacted CRA, and they state this action is the responsibility of the Plan Administrator, the CF Directorate. You may want to contact CRA and lead them to this fact sheet on the web (as I did), so they can down load the fact sheet, just to see if we are getting a consistant answer from CRA.
When the Pension Calculator is up on the web in Feb, and when the Regulations are published, we will have to individually decide to launch a Redress of Grievance or not. And that redress will take a long time and you can figure how ofter the an individual wins over the system.

PQLUR

My understanding is that the Annuitant policy stays the same. I also believe you will not be able to contribute to the Reserve CFSA, if you are receiving a CFSA Reg F pension. That would be double dipping from the same pot, the CFSA. You could work as a DND public servant and contribute/ get benefits from the PSSA. That's double dipping, but not from the same pot. Lots of ex Reg F are doing that. They get out of the military and get a public service job. RAdm Murray is a good example. You should ask the CFPMP people, or wait until the Regulations come out.

A CANFORGEN on the Reserve Pension is supposed to be out before Christmas.

I'll believe when I see it.

Rifleman 62:  did you find any info about who is going to crunch the numbers for individual members?  No offence towards the RMS community, but I think we need some specialist advice here.

I guess at 7+4% the cost of buying back "old guy" years of service will be a BGen Tabbernor predicted: i.e. if you can afford that, you are probably not in need of a pension.  Another "thanks for comin' out" for long serving Reservists. 

Rifleman62; I understand the issue of moving my RRSP $$$ from my current fund to the Pension fund.  The one I have is bringing in >12.8% this year... so far... I won't pay taxes cause the $$$ is in someone else's hands but,  I am being asked to lose 12.8% for something I know little about (so far)

Yeah, I too have a financial background, and I too will be doing some serious calculating.
Yeah, I too know a few things about grievances.  I work on them every working day, for the Area Commander... He will probably be hearing from me, he'll declare that this is beyond his zone and pass it on upstairs.... same as you.

We'll be comparing notes in the months to come I figure.

Chimo!

Back