• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve rank vs. Reg. rank

Status
Not open for further replies.
mo-litia said:
LMAO; that's priceless. 

Anyone who would try and say that  Reservists are generally as proficient to a Regular is talking out of their ***.  Regs do it every day, most Reservists don't.

I, for myself, am happy to maintain a skill set that could be brought up to par with some work-up training if and when the government has a need for it.

Just read your comment above from this thread I mis-posted to.  I would disagree.  I was in the Reserves before I joined the Regs as were many here on the forum.  I was a Reserve Sgt when I went Reg.  By that time I had several NATO Reforgers under my belt, a TOW course, Advanced Winter Warfare, Machine Gunner, CLC, RV's, and other Reg exercises.  In the Reserves I had actually taught the ISCC (Infantry Section Commander's Course).  When I got direct entry into the Regs (as a corporal) I had to re-do many of these courses, especially the ISCC leadership course.  Back then, the Reserve course equivalent didn't count for peanuts.  The end result is that I topped the 11-week ISCC in Wainwright. I got to lead the CLC and ISCC platoons on grad parade, so that's something to say for "militia" experience.  On the other hand, I've seen "dirtbags" deployed with the Reserves, so the pendulum swings both ways.

Frank

www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca
www.frankhudec.ca

Frank,

For every shining star from the militia, there seems to be a platoon of 17 year olds who know everything, can do nothing, and fall apart on any sort of task longer than three days, even while adorned with $3000 of Kifaru and Blackhawk kit.

The better products from the Mo seem to join the regs, it is the lifer militia types that constitute the vast majority of the "problems" that are percieved with their organisation.

My .02.

And that's all it takes, like the last few. Off the rails again. Stick to the question or stay out of the thread

Cahmon GO!!!

What a load of Malarkey,  and you damn well know that.  Let's not start this one again as I can give story upon story of the other way around situations.

Period,

good post Frank

dileas

tes

Go, someone could easily argue that a platoon of 17 year old regular force soldiers don't have much going for them either.  Their life experience consists of finishing highschool, doing battleschool and going as far away from base as a week-end leave pass lets them.
A platoon of privates and corporals from a reg platoon are going to have way better soldier skills. Reserves will have way better trade skills.  Instead of always pointing out the differences sometimes it's good to capitalize on them. To me mixing regular force with reserves is a great idea.
You've said theres reservests who fall apart after 3 days and thats true. Well theres also regular force guys who can't think for themselves outside of what their section commander tells them to think.

We know there are different standards for Regular force and reserve. One gets promoted faster than other, due to need in my opinion.

Since many of the tours going over seas require a specific percentage of reserves (was it 20%?). Reserves will have to work with regular force.  Everyone has negitive points,  how do you guys propose we bridge the gap?

What can we do to fix this discrepency? Reserves get promoted faster than regs yet regs have more job experience, TI and technical (military) experience.  We have to make these two groups work together, so how exactly do we do it?

Make the reserves drop rank when working with the regular force?
Keep them the same rank but employ them on a lower responsibility (ie a sgt was employed as a driver for cimic on roto 13 op palladium, which of course is a pte or cpl job)
Employ them according to their rank and let them sink or swim?

Everyone is comming up with points on how the regs and reserves are different but no one is providing solutions.

AS a reg force nco I have employed res pers and also deployed them on tours, there is no difference from an operator sent to the deploying unit from another reg force unit. Both the res and reg troops require training for the job at hand. If I noticed any difference it was that res troops had twice the get up and go of the reg force who was parachuted into the unit.

Rgards OLD F of S

GO!!! said:
Frank,

For every shining star from the militia, there seems to be a platoon of 17 year olds who know everything, can do nothing, and fall apart on any sort of task longer than three days, even while adorned with $3000 of Kifaru and Blackhawk kit.

The better products from the Mo seem to join the regs, it is the lifer militia types that constitute the vast majority of the "problems" that are percieved with their organisation.

My .02.

I guess from my own experience I'm biased, since I agree with GO!!! ;)

Seriously though, even within Militia units there are different standards among soldiers who are deployed with them.  I remember in Germany we had these two Reserve corporals from a unit down east which shall remain unmentioned.  One of them was a "keener" and the other fit the profile of the "dirtbag" I mentioned earlier.  My 2i/c at the time, took it upon himself to take "dirtbag"  behind the track (that's APC for you younger guys) and "sort" him out.  You coulld actually do this in those days before SHARP and all that PC stuff.  Didn't the kid go crying to the CSM.  We had to be really "nice" to him after that.  Unfortunately, we didn't let him wear all his "American-style" gear in the field.  Rules are rules you know.  He got one of the worst assessments I've ever written on anyone.  The "keener", from this same unit, I would be proud to serve with anyday.

Frank

www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca
www.frankhudec.ca

Thx Ghost for trying to bring the thread back to it's original subject, but I guess it's not to be. Another one flies off the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back