• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves

makaveli91

Inactive
Reaction score
About a year and a bit ago, I left for basic, and got a pretty serious injury while on course.  This left me on PAT platoon for almost a 9 months trying to get it fixed, which never happened.  Now, all i wanted was to complete BMQ and leave St Jean, thus the year i spent there trying to get better.  Either way, my staff said that i was going to be released, and gave me the heads up and told me what my options were.  One was to VR and come back later.  Which i chose.  Now, I'm not too sure what i want to do. What is the difference between the reserves and the Reg force?  I understand the main points like the weekends, and a couple of nights a week or whatever.  I'm talking more about the details.  Like how does basic work.  Do you apply the same way as you do the reg force?  How hard is it to get a full time reservist job?  Do reservists get the option to go overseas?  Thanks ahead for any information. 

Like how does basic work

I'm on my PRes BMQ right now.

From what I've seen, there are usually 2 BMQ serials done approx. every other weekend during the year, one during the fall/winter, one during the late winter/spring. There is usually a serial done during the summer as well. The course is 20 training days long. After that, you can do your SQ course either during the summer, or there may be a serial done during the winter/spring on weekends. And yes, reservists can go overseas, but I don't know too much about that.

For Reservist's going overseas, I always thought it was voluntary? Is that still the case or will they activate you for duty as they see fit based on manpower demands like they do with the US Reserves?

For Reservist's going overseas, I always thought it was voluntary?

Who said it wasn't?

DA

I am almost positive you can search this info on the site but from my experience:

In general a reserve unit will not take on a (only) bmq qualified private for full time work. A reserve unit keeps enough full time staff on hand to prepare training for the rest of the unit every week and plan training exercises, and perform administrative tasks such as pay.

As a BMQ qualified private your chances of receiving a class b contract at your home unit are fairly slim. The reserves are meant as a part time job, sometimes it works out for people and they receive class b contracts which keep them paid and employed but those contracts can be terminated at any time and if you're on a medical category they will be hesitant to give it to you especially with the new fitness/medical policies coming into effect.

Personally, at my unit, noone under the rank of Master Corporal is on a class B contract. I am sure there are some corporals and privates employed somewhere but again, that will vary by unit.

Finally reservists do not serve overseas unless they volunteer for a position.

Disclaimer: All above information is only first hand experience at my own reserve unit, experience may vary!

If you are thinking of applying for the PRes then you need to talk to the unit that you want to apply to, they have the numbers and positions available for the unit.  The recruiting process is almost identical to the the Reg F process except that you need to talk to the reserve unit first and they send your application to the recruiting center.  The recruiting center will then put in a request for your previous service docs, including your medical file.

You indicated that you spend a year in St Jean trying to get medically fit,  "...thus the year i spent there trying to get better."  As long as you have been out at least 6 months then you can reapply.  If it hasn't been six months yet, then you will have to wait till then before you can apply.

Back