• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists Posted to Submarines?

Klinkaroo

Inactive
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity a guy at work told me that reserve stoker could be employed on a submarine since they are both Diesel Electric systems. Is there any truth to this? There would probably a familiarization course or something but is this still possible?

Thanks
Klink

You're friend is slightly off the mark. One would need the submarine qualification course in order to be posted to a sub.

Ok and would this submarine qualification course be available to members of the reserves if space was available?

i knew a reserve PO2 cook who's on the subs, but i've not heard of a reserve technical type doing this.

secondly i'd like to point out that Mar Eng is a reg only trade, although i often hear MESO's reffering to themselves as "reserve stokers" as a way of explainging what they do, despite being, in the eyes of many a Mar Eng, simple "button-pushers".  as a friend from my QL3 was a former MESO, and he puts it as being responsible for the operation of the same kit as a Mar Eng, but never trained to fix anything, reducing them to machinery operators.

The Lutz said:
i knew a reserve PO2 cook who's on the subs, but i've not heard of a reserve technical type doing this.

It would seem to make sense to open submarines up to reservists if there's a shortage of volunteers in the regular force, and if the submarine qualification course isn't so long that it wouldn't be feasible for a reservist to take it.  I suppose it might just mean that many fewer reservists for the MCDVs, though -- robbing BRANDON to pay VICTORIA.

For myself to be fully submariner qualified the training took over a year to complete, thats Day 1 on BSQ up to drinking my Dolphins.

I don't know if it has changed, but I then owed the submarine community 2 years, so for two years I could not release or OT.

Personally I think training reservists to be submariners would be a complete waste of resources, if the reservist wants to go subs, then he can go full time and take it from there. 

Is the PO2 reservist cook working at the MOG or actually posted to the submarine?  Was his training conducted as a regular force member, then he switched to the reservist world?

The MOG galley was full of reservists, but none were ever working on the boats (when I was there)

to be perfectly honest, im not sure if he was a former reservist gone reg or what have you, but i know he did have more than a couple years as a reservist in.  Although, yes, he was actually a dolphined submariner, i personally was able to take a tour of HMCS CORNER BROOK with him.

The Lutz said:
to be perfectly honest, im not sure if he was a former reservist gone reg or what have you, but i know he did have more than a couple years as a reservist in.  Although, yes, he was actually a dolphined submariner, i personally was able to take a tour of HMCS CORNER BROOK with him.

There have been reservist stokers who had sailed on the O boats years ago, but not on the new class.

i have another question regards to posting to subs, i'm not a reservist but this seems the most current active topic. could someone confirm that comms research are able to be posted to subs. reason i'm asking is i'm ex O boat qualified as well as Collins qualified  and I wouldn't mind doing some more sea time.

I am by no means an expert but I don't think the Comm Research guys are actually "posted" to a ship. They only go when there is an actual need for one.

Klinkaroo said:
I am by no means an expert but I don't think the Comm Research guys are actually "posted" to a ship. They only go when there is an actual need for one.

thats probably a much better way of wording what i wanted to know

Back