• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Return of the Army Forage Cap?

Old Naval Guard

Inactive
Reaction score
I was looking at pictures of the recent speech to the throne. The GG Honour Guard, mostly Militia had quite a few Forage Caps in the Guard. While understanding these where regimental Items purchased at Nonpublic expense, the officer commanding the guard looked like he was wearing a CF Forage cap. It could have been a regimental service cap, but it didn't look like it . Are Army/CF DEU Service Caps coming back if only for Officer's? Just curious Thanks in advance ONG

I may be wrong, but I believe only Foot Guards units still wear the Forage Cap (GGFG, CGG, etc.)

Chapter 6 Art 4b of CFP 265

Regiments of Foot Guards. Customary,
approved, guards-pattern undress forage
caps (see Chapter 5, sub-sub-paragraph
13.f.(3)) are authorized for wear as optional
items by all ranks of these regiments with
ceremonial, mess and service orders of
dress, in lieu of other authorized
headdress.

Edit to correct an error and add quote

Do you have a link to the photos?

E: Found one: http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/0603throne3.jpg
That does appear to be a GGFG member.

We, as in the Army in general, have not worn those stupid caps in years. Lets not give the good idea fairy any ammo shall we? ;)

The Armoured Corps never wore them, as far as I know, and I personally abhorred it, as do many of my peers.

Jim Seggie said:
We, as in the Army in general, have not worn those stupid caps in years. Lets not give the good idea fairy any ammo shall we? ;)

The Armoured Corps never wore them, as far as I know, and I personally abhorred it, as do many of my peers.

Actually Jim, there was a very, very short span, in the 70's when we wore it with our CF Greens. Then the green beret, again, only with Greens. Then someone wised up and said 'No more'. Back to the black beret for all dress, and we havn't looked back. I think the debacle lasted about a year or two. We actually wore that silly fur wedge thingy once or twice with our greatcoats also. I remember the RSM coming out, on parade, saying we looked like a bunch of Russians and that was the end of that hat for us too.

recceguy said:
Actually Jim, there was a very, very short span, in the 70's when we wore it with our CF Greens. Then the green beret, again, only with Greens. Then someone wised up and said 'No more'. Back to the black beret for all dress, and we havn't looked back. I think the debacle lasted about a year or two. We actually wore that silly fur wedge thingy once or twice with our greatcoats also. I remember the RSM coming out, on parade, saying we looked like a bunch of Russians and that was the end of that hat for us too.

I remember the fur hat. Our CO in ordered us to wear it for the winter. Clothing stores was busy with all the troops purchasing them.

Those in the photo are from the Governor General's Foot Guards (GGFG).  They wear the forage cap.  And in this instance I fully support their desire to be unique and different from all others.  Because I don't want to wear the damned thing.

Edit to add:  The officer is from the GGFG; the two troops are from the Canadian Grenadier Guards (CGG).  My point still stands...

More specifically, the organization on parade that day was, in its entirety, the Ceremonial Guard. In terms of regimental identity, CG wears the dress of either the GGFG or the CGG, and members wearing ceremonials will wear the uniform of one of those two regiments regardless of the member's home unit. For that particular parade the Public Duties company was in DEU because they're still getting fitted for ceremonial (scarlet) uniforms in preparation for the public duties season. The practice of making all troops wear GGFG or CGG DEU in lieu of their own regiment/trade/branch/element stopped a few years ago.

Ceremonial Guard. You will never find a more wretched hive of funny looking hats. We must be cautious.

In my humble opinion Forage Caps are for Generals, police officers, African Dictators and some self absorbed Ocdt's. But thats me

my72jeep said:
In my humble opinion Forage Caps are for Generals, police officers, African Dictators and some self absorbed Ocdt's. But thats me

They also convey a certain gravitas that would otherwise be unachievable whilst explaining one's little scheme of marching up an' down the square.  ;D

my72jeep said:
In my humble opinion Forage Caps are for Generals, police officers, African Dictators and some self absorbed Ocdt's.

And troopies standing out on the parade square when its raining (especially if you're wearing glasses) or when looking into the sun.

My forage cap is a pile of ashes somewhere...and whoever suggests we go back to it through out the Army should have their lips sutured shut and fingies crazy glued into their fists AND then to their keyboards, so they can't talk or type.  Their eyes should be glued open and a screen saver stating "FORAGE CAPS BAD - ME BADDER" should be placed on continuous scroll through until they get the hint.

But I'm not bitter.

MM

medicineman said:
My forage cap is a pile of ashes somewhere...and whoever suggests we go back to it through out the Army should have their lips sutured shut and fingies crazy glued into their fists AND then to their keyboards, so they can't talk or type.  Their eyes should be glued open and a screen saver stating "FORAGE CAPS BAD - ME BADDER" should be placed on continuous scroll through until they get the hint.

But I'm not bitter.

MM

I concur. Evil caps...... >:D

Not into the debate, but I fondly remember wearing this one a long time ago:
http://rcasc.com.p8.hostingprod.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/RCASC_ORs_1960_forage_cap.11261909_std.jpg

I say we have the mods delete this thread in its entirety, and we shall NOT speak the evil words "forage cap"  for  least three years.....not one , not four but three.
Or we convene a Spanish Inquistion.......

Jim Seggie said:
I say we have the mods delete this thread in its entirety, and we shall NOT speak the evil words "forage cap"  for  least three years.....not one , not four but three.
Or we convene a Spanish Inquistion.......

I agree with your ban idea but i think we should do the inquisition anyways.............

I'll second that - I'm sure there is a Jimmy Cox wannabe somewhere thinking it's a GREAT IDEA to bring that abomination back into routine use with our service dress.  I'll also bet that this freak of nature is reading this and drooling over a potential "Leading Change" bubble on the far right...Hey, Freak of Nature, if you're reading this, read backwards and take heed - I'm watching you  :threat:.

MM

CDN Aviator said:
I agree with your ban idea but i think we should do the inquisition anyways.............

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Or maybe the forage cap insquistion....... >:D

Back