• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
just out of curiosity, does anyone know slots for ROTP/RMC this year?
Tried asking the recruiter the first time I went in but he didn't tell me. Though did tell me biosci officer is closed, but I went in guessing that it would be closed anyhow and switching that out, thus ending with the career choices that I submitted.

Being a typical Canadian, I have chosen Forestry as one of my degree options at the University of Alberta.
Now my question is this: Assuming, I don't make it into RMC first round, Will i be able to enter the ROTP with this degree in any of the officer trades?

Many officer trades in the military do not require specific degrees as a condition of enrollment.  While most of the technical trades require a related degree (engineering, signals, health care, etc.), at times these can vary depending on intake requirements.

Forestry will limit you from some of the aforementioned technical trades, but there will still be many possible avenues.  Your best bet is to contact a recruiting centre regarding which trades are currently accepting non-specific degrees.

Firstly, forestry is not offered at RMC; you'll need something more appropriate.

Secondly, many officer classifications are tightening up the degree requirements. They are streamlining which degrees are appropriate for a given profession. Forestry is unlikely to be on anyone's list.

I suggest you determine which occupation you want and then select a degree path that is complimentary with that occupation.

ModlrMike said:
Firstly, forestry is not offered at RMC; you'll need something more appropriate.

Secondly, many officer classifications are tightening up the degree requirements. They are streamlining which degrees are appropriate for a given profession. Forestry is unlikely to be on anyone's list.

I suggest you determine which occupation you want and then select a degree path that is complimentary with that occupation.

This is the first I've heard of degree tightening.
What could i expect for them to change in the combat arms and the like?

TTB4570 said:
This is the first I've heard of degree tightening.
What could i expect for them to change in the combat arms and the like?

well on paper they say any degree will do but in real life during selections if it comes down to you or an English/PolSci major then you're gonna lose. and trust me selections are VERY competitive so will most likely lose out.

The PREFERRED degrees for Combat Arms are:

ARMORED: B English, English and Management/ BSc/BA Accounting, Admin,International Studies, Languages

ARTILLERY:  B English, English and Management/ BSc:Geo/ Surveying and Imagery/BA ,International Studies, Languages, Military and Strategic Studies

INFANTRY: B English: General,  English and Management/ BSc: General/ BA General, Admin, Conflict Studies, HR management, International Studies, Languages, Military and Strategic Studies

*note while Armored and Infantry officers are open to any degree from an accredited university Artillery will take most BUT NOT ALL degrees 

Just submitted my Essay and Transcripts :), feels good to have that load off of my back...now the rest of the process is here to come. I wonder if I'll have to do my CFAT again...I did it last year when I applied to the Reserves (passed it, but didn't go into the Reserves). Though from what I've been reading around here, the CFAT is good for at least a year?

So I had my interview, and was told that 2-year compressed nursing programs are not eligible for ROTP. The officer that interviewed me seemed extremely clueless regarding such programs. I don't understand how other people have been approved for ROTP to attend 2-year nursing programs. When I did my research on these forums and contacted other nursing officers, they told me that they were granted ROTP for the 2-year programs with the condition that they would pay back the subsidization amount in full, if they fail BMOQ (they had to sign a letter). Can anyone please provide me with an answer. I've been receiving so many mixed answers regarding this, and I've already spent hundreds of dollars applying to 2-year nursing programs because I was told by a recruiter that they were indeed eligible for ROTP.

rebeccag19 said:
CFAT scores are valid much more than a year; in fact, they are valid indefinitely!
Really? Because my friend who has applied for a NCM position was told today that the CFAT she did in 2007 has since been destroyed because its been over 5 years since that application.

OblivionKnight said:
So I had my interview, and was told that 2-year compressed nursing programs are not eligible for ROTP. The officer that interviewed me seemed extremely clueless regarding such programs. I don't understand how other people have been approved for ROTP to attend 2-year nursing programs. When I did my research on these forums and contacted other nursing officers, they told me that they were granted ROTP for the 2-year programs with the condition that they would pay back the subsidization amount in full, if they fail BMOQ (they had to sign a letter). Can anyone please provide me with an answer. I've been receiving so many mixed answers regarding this, and I've already spent hundreds of dollars applying to 2-year nursing programs because I was told by a recruiter that they were indeed eligible for ROTP.

I am currently in my first year of a 2 year accelerated nursing program through ROTP - so it is possible, but it was not easy! Although I have a previous degree, my school requires you to apply to the 4yr program first and decides in late May whether or not you get an accelerated spot. By the time I got my ROTP offer, I had already accepted the accelerated spot. Long story short, I was originally told no so I wrote a memo and it eventually got approved. However, I was told this is extremely rare and programs including year-round study are not usually approved for ROTP since they want you to progress through your summer training as planned. It is quite possible the recruiting officer who interviewed you hasn't run into this situation before. If you really want to do accelerated nursing, it's worth a shot!

Perhaps a bit late but I began my RMC application not too long ago. Presently plugging through my Academic Questionnaire trying to make sure it suits the qualities I bring as a leader and person as well as fits the criteria RMCC will be looking for. I'm currently looking around a mid-to-low 80's average with a lot of extracurriculars (A.Schamb and I are formerly from the same Air Cadet Squadron).

Choices: Signals, Intelligence (I know it's never hiring but worth a shot I suppose) and Logistics. Realistically, I'd probably take any position they give me.

If you have any advice for me whatsoever, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
B.Pom.

B.Pom said:
Perhaps a bit late but I began my RMC application not too long ago. Presently plugging through my Academic Questionnaire trying to make sure it suits the qualities I bring as a leader and person as well as fits the criteria RMCC will be looking for. I'm currently looking around a mid-to-low 80's average with a lot of extracurriculars (A.Schamb and I are formerly from the same Air Cadet Squadron).

Choices: Signals, Intelligence (I know it's never hiring but worth a shot I suppose) and Logistics. Realistically, I'd probably take any position they give me.

If you have any advice for me whatsoever, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
B.Pom.

Confirm whether or not Intelligence is hiring, if it's not (which is very probable), put another choice in.

cw12 said:
I am currently in my first year of a 2 year accelerated nursing program through ROTP - so it is possible, but it was not easy! Although I have a previous degree, my school requires you to apply to the 4yr program first and decides in late May whether or not you get an accelerated spot. By the time I got my ROTP offer, I had already accepted the accelerated spot. Long story short, I was originally told no so I wrote a memo and it eventually got approved. However, I was told this is extremely rare and programs including year-round study are not usually approved for ROTP since they want you to progress through your summer training as planned. It is quite possible the recruiting officer who interviewed you hasn't run into this situation before. If you really want to do accelerated nursing, it's worth a shot!

It's funny how the "Military Career Counselor" lied to my face the other day. When I subsequently sent an email to the recruiting center insisting that others have been accepted into ROTP for 2 year nursing programs, I received quite the rude response. Perhaps it's just my local CFRC that exhibits such ineptitude. I really need to transfer my file elsewhere.

Chelomo said:
Confirm whether or not Intelligence is hiring, if it's not (which is very probable), put another choice in.

My understanding is that in essence you go through the process regardless of occupation choice and they merely inform you of all occupations you fit the criteria for.
Cheers,
B.Pom

OblivionKnight said:
It's funny how the "Military Career Counselor" lied to my face the other day. When I subsequently sent an email to the recruiting center insisting that others have been accepted into ROTP for 2 year nursing programs, I received quite the rude response. Perhaps it's just my local CFRC that exhibits such ineptitude. I really need to transfer my file elsewhere.

It's quite possible that (s)he has never encountered this scenario prior to your questioning. If I understand correct it's a rare exception they give so perhaps you should call back and politely bring it up?
Cheers,
B.Pom

B.Pom said:
My understanding is that in essence you go through the process regardless of occupation choice and they merely inform you of all occupations you fit the criteria for.
Cheers,
B.Pom

I did the same thing as you did and ended up being interviewed for only two roles. However it was pretty much a non-issue in my case since Artillery was my first choice. It's always better to have three rather than two (Or so I think at least), especially if you're amongst those who would be happy with most careers.

Chelomo said:
I did the same thing as you did and ended up being interviewed for only two roles. However it was pretty much a non-issue in my case since Artillery was my first choice. It's always better to have three rather than two (Or so I think at least), especially if you're amongst those who would be happy with most careers.

I have a friend who went through the process last year and was allegedly just offered a variety of different occupations despite applying for completely different ones. Duly noted though, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Would it be unacceptable to change my occupation choice on my academic questionnaire?
Cheers,
B.Pom

cw12 said:

I assume you're attending Dalhousie? I applied there and was initially told by my MCC that no special considerations are given. If you don't mind me asking, when did/do you plan on completing BMOQ? Also, who was the memo submitted to (your MCC or someone higher in the chain of command?)

B.Pom said:
It's quite possible that (s)he has never encountered this scenario prior to your questioning. If I understand correct it's a rare exception they give so perhaps you should call back and politely bring it up?
Cheers,
B.Pom

That is exactly the case. My main concern is why the MCC told me with 100% certainty that no special permission is granted to attend the 2-year program (when it has happened in the past, and still continues to happen). In the email response that I received, I was told that in some cases, special permission is indeed granted (albeit there is no guarantee). At least I received a viable response. 

B.Pom said:
I have a friend who went through the process last year and was allegedly just offered a variety of different occupations despite applying for completely different ones. Duly noted though, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Would it be unacceptable to change my occupation choice on my academic questionnaire?
Cheers,
B.Pom

Changing your occupation choices will normally be handled by your recruiting center, since you are going to do the rest of the process with them, but if you haven't submitted it yet, go for it I guess? It can't hurt to ask if Intelligence is hiring first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back