• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
---->  https://www.cfmws.com/en/AboutUs/Library/PoliciesandRegulations/PSP/Documents/1-PSP%20PM%20-%2012%20July%202013%20Final%20-%20En.pdf

See Chap 5, para 50.  (or page 30/178)

I "think" this is what applies but I could be wrong.  Your local PSP Staff should be able to answer this question for you.

Well got some bad news today, academically unsuitable for either RMCC or ROTP civi U. Kind of disappointed but also partly happy because I can pursue my desired trade as a Combat Engineer.

Thanks for that info though DAA, I was wondering the same thing for my summer arrangements, since I'm probably going to BMOQ this summer.

Chelomo, if you are currently attending a university in a subsidized education program, you will go to St Jean (most likely) on TD for the summer.  What that means, is that your rations and quarters will be free.  If, instead, you are sent there on an attach posting (which is also possible), then you won't have to pay for your quarters as you have a lease being paid elsewhere, but you will have to pay for rations.

middle_coast said:
Chelomo, if you are currently attending a university in a subsidized education program, you will go to St Jean (most likely) on TD for the summer.  What that means, is that your rations and quarters will be free.  If, instead, you are sent there on an attach posting (which is also possible), then you won't have to pay for your quarters as you have a lease being paid elsewhere, but you will have to pay for rations.

Last I read, Attach Posting leads to the same benefits as TD.

DAA said:

Thanks guys! The ROTP salary isn't as good as that of Brigadier, but I'll just have to make do :p I'm not too worried, though I am wondering when I'll find out when I ship out.

When talking to my ULO, they said the course dates usually are not released until end of March/early April.  Civy U can expect to be starting course sometime within the first 2 weeks of May.  Usually two different courses with two different start dates.

CDFALRMAN said:
Thanks everyone. I will call my local CFRC to make sure all my paperwork is in order.

References were checked last week. Verified with CFRC that all paperwork is in order and once they finish the crim check, my file will be complete.  That was quick turn around since I applied on the last week of Nov 2013.

DAA said:

I wish it was but it isn't true  :( On an attach posting you do not have to pay for quarters (as it is understood that you will maintain you residence elsewhere), but you do have to pay for rations and do not receive the daily TD allowance. I just got back from my attach posting, which is how I know this to be true.

mkil said:
I wish it was but it isn't true  :( On an attach posting you do not have to pay for quarters (as it is understood that you will maintain you residence elsewhere), but you do have to pay for rations and do not receive the daily TD allowance. I just got back from my attach posting, which is how I know this to be true.

Interesting......I guess the CFTDTI's (CF Temporary Duty Travel Instructions) must be wrong!  Or maybe I am misreading something....

APPLICATION OF THE CFTDTI
3.01 - APPLICATION
(1) (Regular Force) Subject to CFTDTI 3.02 (No Application), the CFTDTI apply to a member of the Regular Force who is, after 31 January 2011:
(a) either:
(i) on TD;
(ii) on an attached posting; or
(iii) in respect of CFTDTI Chapter 5 (Travel Within Place of Duty) only, ordered by an approving authority to work - or to be immediately available for work during - irregular hours inside the member's place of duty; and
(b) not entitled to any benefit under the Military Foreign Service Instruction other than under instruction 10.3.07 (Risk Allowance).

or

SECTION 1 - APPLICATION (Travel within Canada & Continental US)
7.01 - APPLICATION
Subject to Chapter 3 (Application of CFTDTI), this Chapter applies to a member who:
(a) is on TD or on an attached posting;
(b) is travelling between their place of duty and another duty location, both of which are in Canada or the Continental United States of America (CANUS); and
(c) is authorized to occupy accommodations overnight.

Just curious.  My daughter applied last 2012/2013 for ROTP and made the merit list but wasn't offered a position.  She re-applied in the fall and had everything in prior to the end of the year.  Had first year university with high grades and more volunteer experience added to this application.  Just received notice that her application was rejected.  Didn't even make it to the interview process.

How can she have made it through to the merit list last year, reapply with even more experience and education this year, yet have her application rejected?

Has anyone had any experience with this before?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

KerryBlue said:
Well got some bad news today, academically unsuitable for either RMCC or ROTP civi U. Kind of disappointed but also partly happy because I can pursue my desired trade as a Combat Engineer.
Interest question: If you really wanted to be a Combat Engineer, why do you apply to ROTP?

CDFALRMAN said:
References were checked last week. Verified with CFRC that all paperwork is in order and once they finish the crim check, my file will be complete.  That was quick turn around since I applied on the last week of Nov 2013.

Glad to hear it, good luck!

jackinthebox said:
Just curious.  My daughter applied last 2012/2013 for ROTP and made the merit list but wasn't offered a position.  She re-applied in the fall and had everything in prior to the end of the year.  Had first year university with high grades and more volunteer experience added to this application.  Just received notice that her application was rejected.  Didn't even make it to the interview process.

How can she have made it through to the merit list last year, reapply with even more experience and education this year, yet have her application rejected?

Has anyone had any experience with this before?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Perhaps she was found academically unsuitable for RMC, with regards to the courses she's taking (just a guess). I think DAA will be able to provide you with a better answer.

StudentPilot23 said:
Perhaps she was found academically unsuitable for RMC, with regards to the courses she's taking (just a guess). I think DAA will be able to provide you with a better answer.

She took courses applicable to the three positions she was applying for but that's always a possibility.  However, you don't have to decide on a major in your first year of university. 

It's just so disappointing as she followed the guidance of the recruiting and interviewing officer last year and worked so hard to achieve the grades and get more volunteering experience in.  She'll be contacting them on Thursday but I just thought I'd run it through here to see if anyone else has had this happen to them before. 

Thanks very much for your response.  It's appreciated.

Goose15 said:
Interest question: If you really wanted to be a Combat Engineer, why do you apply to ROTP?

I would have been happy being an armoured officer, and tried to apply last year for ROTP transfer but couldn't finish because I blew out my shoulder playing football at Queens and needed surgery in feb. So it was more to see if I could do it, turns out because of my gr.11 math mark I can't. So my interest  in seeing if I could get in satisfied, I can pursue my desired NCM job.

KerryBlue said:
I would have been happy being an armoured officer, and tried to apply last year for ROTP transfer but couldn't finish because I blew out my shoulder playing football at Queens and needed surgery in feb. So it was more to see if I could do it, turns out because of my gr.11 math mark I can't. So my interest  in seeing if I could get in satisfied, I can pursue my desired NCM job.
Oh okay, I see. That makes sense.

Well good luck with your app! :)

jackinthebox said:
She took courses applicable to the three positions she was applying for but that's always a possibility.  However, you don't have to decide on a major in your first year of university. 

It's just so disappointing as she followed the guidance of the recruiting and interviewing officer last year and worked so hard to achieve the grades and get more volunteering experience in.  She'll be contacting them on Thursday but I just thought I'd run it through here to see if anyone else has had this happen to them before. 

Thanks very much for your response.  It's appreciated.

Hey Jack,

Just thought I'd follow up by adding that I know of many different acceptances and rejections for RMC/CMR, some of which are similar to your daughters case in that they just don't seem to make any logical sense. I think the best thing that anyone could offer your daughter is the inspiration to never accept no as an answer. Also, it is entirely unjust to place any personal judgment on ones self based on the acceptance or rejection of an application for ROTP; the many heads in Ottawa make decisions based on things far beyond the desires of the applicants, things which should also be considered by the applicant.

Straight and simple - it may be hard to do, but, don't give up unless there is something better than this for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back