• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general

Altair said:
That's a great idea. Let's all wait to see what the ROEs are and then comment on them when we know what they are.

Much better than bringing up old 20 year old ROEs like they matter today.

Tracking. We won't bring discuss anything unless it aligns with the current government's view, that way you won't get so emotionally invested in adult discussions about ROE or the futility of yet another African "peace support operation" that really won't change anything.

Anything for a UNSC seat, am I right?

PuckChaser said:
Tracking. We won't bring discuss anything unless it aligns with the current government's view, that way you won't get so emotionally invested in adult discussions about ROE or the futility of yet another African "peace support operation" that really won't change anything.

Anything for a UNSC seat, am I right?
Screw the UNSC seat. I'm far more selfish than that and want my deployment.

Also, let's not discuss things like ROEs being restrictive and stupid like in days past when nobody has a clue what the ROEs will be.

Good2Golf said:
That's fine.  What's one man's annoyance is another's concern.

At least those who are doubtful about better ROE are basing that on a long list of poor ROE in numerous PKOs...you know, "Deeds Speak", etc... 

Is it any less annoying to hear "Sunny ways, trust us, the ROE will be much better...?"  Probably not...

G2G
And pray tell, when did I say that?

Journeyman said:
Unlike the "I've got no time in;  I need  a deployment so people will respect me!!" whiners?    :tempertantrum:
  :nod:
I have purposely not posted in here for quite some time as to stop annoying you all about my overwhelming need to actually do something worthwhile.

Nice to see that you haven't noticed.

Altair said:
Sure. But when you consider that nobody knows what the ROEs are going to be bring up old ROEs as a reason to whine about current peacekeeping/peacemaking is annoying.

I sure hope that you are not so naive to think that we had the same ROE's for every deployment we did since 1945.  Your attitude seems to point that way.  Your disrespect for members who have already experienced the BS involved with UN ROE's over the years does you little credit.

Altair said:
Screw the UNSC seat. I'm far more selfish than that and want my deployment.

There's a far easier way for you to get deployments that doesn't involve wasted effort in Africa. VOT17 is open for AESOP, or you can always apply to CANSOF. Both of those groups seem real busy.

Altair said:
Also, let's not discuss things like ROEs being restrictive and stupid like in days past when nobody has a clue what the ROEs will be.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
- George Santayana

Disregard.  It is truly not worth the bandwidth engaging.

I hope you get your deployment, and it completes all your fantasies.

PuckChaser said:
There's a far easier way for you to get deployments that doesn't involve wasted effort in Africa. VOT17 is open for AESOP, or you can always apply to CANSOF. Both of those groups seem real busy.

Remember when I mentioned AESOP?  That went over like a fart in church.

But, Altair, given what the Ambassador says we'll likely need, you will have no shortage of deployment chances in your current trade.  Bring your mosquito net and remember this conversation when you're on your 5th (or more) time over there.

PuckChaser said:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
- George Santayana
If I didn't care about my family I would love to go CANSOF. I I didn't care about going through the whole switching trades, going back into the training system I would love to go AESOP. Turns out I care about both of those.

If the conversation was I hope we have learned from the past and don't have restrictive stupid ROEs that get people killed I would agree. Sadly the conversation seems to go,great we will have stupid, restrictive ROEs and people will be killed because that's what happened in the past. So, no, I don't agree with that. It's as useful as the French talking about ww1 trench warfare of twenty years prior when the Germans are rushing tanks over the meuse

When they did their announcement at Bagotville I got to wondering if 2 Wing may end up being the lead element in all of this.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/2-wing/index.page

Chris Pook said:
When they did their announcement at Bagotville I got to wondering if 2 Wing may end up being the lead element in all of this.

Interesting hypothesis, would make it significantly less risky to have some strat airlift or helicopters involved, than actual ground troops.

Chris Pook said:

I suspect it had more to do with location of the caucus meeting the day before.

I do not think they would deliberately link location of the announcement with the intended deploying force unless they were ready to publicly announce who will be deploying.

But, I am making assumptions.  Maybe there is a link that was not announced.

PuckChaser said:
Interesting hypothesis, would make it significantly less risky to have some strat airlift or helicopters involved, than actual ground troops.

Well, this is from the same article:

Blanchard said Canadians are not being deployed to simply supply boots on the ground but rather to provide leadership for existing troops and police officers, and to help train those local forces to confront mounting security threats — an expertise that was developed on the battlefields of Afghanistan and honed in northern Iraq in the face of ISIS.

I would hazard to guess might have something to do with the language capabilities of units in the same geographic area of those likely to be needed in the host nation, since they're all ex-French or Belgique.

MM

medicineman said:
I would hazard to guess might have something to do with the language capabilities of units in the same geographic area of those likely to be needed in the host nation, since they're all ex-French or Belgique.

MM

Maybe there will be more than a handful of French language courses available for us Anglos once the Vandoos and 2 Can Div get tired of being on constant deployments?

PuckChaser said:
Maybe there will be more than a handful of French language courses available for us Anglos once the Vandoos and 2 Can Div get tired of being on constant deployments?

Nah, they can keep the Africa task as long as they want.

PuckChaser said:
Don't forget VdQ and Montreal, if there's to be a maritime element added at some point. Are there RCAF French units?

MCG said:
I suspect it had more to do with location of the caucus meeting the day before.
Good point -- as well as other announcements to be made in the same place:
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=index&crtr.page=3&nid=1117339

quadrapiper said:
Don't forget VdQ and Montreal, if there's to be a maritime element added at some point.
I sure hope you're not a Navigator;  if the RCN is patrolling CAR or Mali, something has gone horribly wrong.  ;D

Journeyman said:
I sure hope you're not a Navigator;  if the RCN is patrolling CAR or Mali, something has gone horribly wrong.  ;D

;D

I was checking in behind the two actors who play "Mr. Lahey and Randy", John Dunsworth and Patrick Roach at the Halifax Airport in 07.  We got into a conversation about where we each were going, they to Winnipeg for a fan fest, me to the sandbox. 

Mr. Dunsworth, bless his heart, cocked his head when I said "Afghanistan". I could see the gears moving behind the eyes, he asked in a bewildered voice "we're sending ships to Afghanistan?".  See, we go everywhere why not the CAR.  Besides, who hasn't heard of "the ships of the desert"?  ;)

Back