• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

You haven't seen it because the military CAN'T wrap its head around the idea that you can do more then run or ruckmarch, so there's an over-emphasis on that. I have seen 3 RCR do it though, they have the tires on the lawn of their building.

Like I said, I think the PT SHOULD be planned/implemented just going out and killing 45mins with whatever activity may help health benefits a little, but doesn't really help actual training and achieving milestones/goals/requirements.

I wasn't saying getting crossfit workouts or strongman medley workouts was TO COMPLICATED...I was saying most units are to LAZY to set it up, and get a training plans set into place, for 2-3months, its far easier to just say ok everyone meet up parking lot for a run, then to plan training, in a manner as to improve aspects of fitness (strength, power, agility, speed, etc) and set up whatever pt is called for the day.

also the general bias for running over anything else....example ( REAL LIFE actually happened) member got 5 days no running, light pt on own, you know what i mean. well PT the the morning after called for a run, said mbr is HUGE into running, has done a marathon etc...well he says (loud enough for his supervisors to hear), that if he can't run he's not doing any PT today...and guess what no one said ANYTHING ever...while ALL the other members on restrictions go and do PT anyways, his excuse for not going to the gym and doing a little strength training, weights are to heavy they weigh more then i do (he's a tiny long distance runner type)

I got rid of my ashtma a year ago. I have always been running, but i didnt for like a year. I want to know if i should keep it going, or stop! I really want to run long distances, im naturally a fast runner. Can someone help? and give tips!?

Maybe you should start slow with walk/run intervals and gradually work your way into running only.  If you haven't run in a year, you realistically won't be able to do what you did before right out of the gate.  Maybe sign up for a running clinic with Running Room or other such chain.

MM

Run till your chest hurts then walk till it hurts less then run till it hurts again after a few repetitions the pain should subside your core muscles need to be strengthened as well as any other muscle

So I've made it through the application process, have been merit listed and waiting for 'the call'.

I'm 25, 215lbs, can do 50+push ups in a row and run my 5k in 23minutes and change. 

Two questions for you all:
#1: What can I do to get my 5k time down while I wait?
#2: Would I be better focusing on 10k?

I have applied to the Combat Arms and want to be in the best shape possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

There's lots of different schools of thought on how to improve run times. 2 of the big ones are interval training and heart rate training (running for long periods in your zone). Google them both and you'll find some running websites that will help you out. If you can get down to 20 mins for 5km, you're doing well, but make sure 5km isn't the top end of your distance.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/39918.0.html - This thread is from 2006, is there a 2.4 K run somewhere for tests before BMQ, or somewhere at the start of BMQ?
  Thanks.

HopefulA.B. said:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/39918.0.html - This thread is from 2006, is there a 2.4 K run somewhere for tests before BMQ, or somewhere at the start of BMQ?
  Thanks.

There is no 2.4 Km test for BMQ period, only the 20 MSR.

Many think it's harder than a 2.4km timed run.

Basically you run between two lines spaced 20 meters apart.
You are given x about of time to run between the two points. Once you reach the other side you turn around and wait for a beep then you run back to where you started.

The time between beeps starts off slow and gets increasingly faster.

Hey,

I was wondering if you guys could share your successful running routines. I currently run everyday, but I feel as though I'm not improving at all. I currently run 2.4km every day, usually on a treadmill. I mix up the speeds and incline sometimes, but it still isn't much. If you guys have any tips or suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks

Try running outside instead of on a treadmill.  A treadmill isn't the same as actually running; the closest would be an incline 2 or so on the same speed.  Also, different muscles/joints take the strain as instead of propelling yourself forward, you can end up propelling yourself up instead (if that makes any sense.)

If your goal is speed, try doing 2.4, then 3km, 4km, etc. on your normal pace, then try to beat that timing for the same distance.  If the goal is distance, keep the same pace and extend your distance (5, 10, 15km, etc.) 

Nike + GPS is awesome if you have an iPhone or similar; I think it's free as well. 

I like the Couch to 5K routine, there's an app for it or you can find it online.  Pick the week where you are able to start (if you're already doing 2.4k, you probably don't need to start at week 1), and go from there.

If you are running everyday,  I would cut that back,  body needs a break to rest/recover.  Lots of good programs listed,  should go check them out.

If following a program isn't for you though, try mixing up what you do.  One day do sprints,  the other day run for time,  another day you could do fartlek,  run/spring uphill, etc.  As well,  going to the gym and doing weights and HIIT is beneficial as well.

I found his online and am almost finished week 1, since I haven't ran since last year. I just want to get some input to find out if it is indeed a good program to go by. (the total times are inaccurate.)

Thanks,

Sean

Mfheb.gif

It looks very similar to a program I did, and I found it was an excellent program to start running with.  Good luck with it.

Back