• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SELECTION FOR FY 05/06

finally got the call for sapper 043 but still have to wait 4 months to swearing in 21 July and bmq start 9 august.

thanks allot for ure help Kincanucks  :salute:

i completed all test and interview October 2004 and got merit listed mid of November. i hand my application in January 04 but for professional reason i timed out the process for summer  :salute:

Hey Kincanucks

First off I would like to thank Kincanucks for all the information you have posted on this forum.  You are the best!  :salute: :salute: I wish you were in charge of my file at the RC! 
I just want to tell you how helpful your information has been.  It is great!  You take time out of your day to help out and answer questions to the clueless!  I could not, in all good conscience, ask you any question without saying how much I appreciate your knowledge.  It should not go by without a thankyou............so thankyou!  Not just blowing smoke either. Anyway.......

My medical has just cleared Borden (2nd time around).  Needless to say I was very happy to get that letter! 

I have applied for RMS and Sup Tech., (Reg Force) and I do have a few questions.

1.  How does the "merit" or "selection" board work? (In regards to 1st and 2nd choice)

2.  How often do they have a board selection? 

3.  Is there a separate board for every trade? 

4.  Have you any idea when the next board will sit for these trades?

Thanks in advance,
RS :)

First of all thank you for your kind words.  My only objective is to alleviate some of the frustration and give all applicants a broader understanding of how the recruiting system works.

1.   How does the "merit" or "selection" board work? (In regards to 1st and 2nd choice) - You are merited for first choice and then your second choice, third, etc.  If you are selected for your first choice then the process stops but if not then onto the second, third, etc.  If you turn down an offer for your first choice then your file is closed for six months.  If you refuse an offer for a second or third choice then you can be re-merited one more time.  However, the trade that you refused the offer for will be made inactive which means you will not be merited for it.  All applicants will be merited for a minimum of twice and if they are not selected they will counselled to improve their education, experience level or any other possible shortcomings to improve their chances and those applicants will be removed from the merit list.

2.   How often do they have a board selection?    Approximately every month until they have filled the BMQ serials up to October.

3.   Is there a separate board for every trade?   Keep in mind there isn't really a board held but yes each trade is boarded individually.  It is all done electronically and the night before a query is run on the recruiting reporting system of all the merited applicants and the trades they are merited for.  Then every applicant for each trade is sorted by MP score from top to bottom and then the number of positions that are going to be picked for that board are chosen from that list.

4.   Have you any idea when the next board will sit for these trades?  End of April.

To the others if it seems I may have contradicted my previous posts its probably because I have.  Direction from higher changes on a daily basis.

Thanks So Much!  You really cleared things up!

Rs

So once you are selected by a board, does that mean that the process is finished and you just wait for the offer?  Is it possible not to get an offer after you have been selected by a board?  While your waiting for an offer, are you required to keep your PT tests "up to date"?

ab136 said:
So once you are selected by a board, does that mean that the process is finished and you just wait for the offer?   Is it possible not to get an offer after you have been selected by a board?   While your waiting for an offer, are you required to keep your PT tests "up to date"?

Once you are selected you will have to wait for an offer and it would highly unusual if you were selected then not given an offer.  However, that is why you won't normally be informed of your selection until they have an offer for you.  Yes you will be required to update anything, such as your PT, if required.

ok..  i didn't want to wade through pages 3 and 4

If you are experiencing problems getting into the regs...

Join the reserves, get trained, and they do a component transfer into the regs.

They should take a trained reservist over a civilian. (should.. i know.. ugh)

(ok.. you can throw things at me now for not reading the entire thread)

Trinity said:
ok..   i didn't want to wade through pages 3 and 4

If you are experiencing problems getting into the regs...

Join the reserves, get trained, and they do a component transfer into the regs.

They should take a trained reservist over a civilian. (should.. i know.. ugh)

(ok.. you can throw things at me now for not reading the entire thread)

By far the WORST advice I have ever heard...
First of all yeah do all the reading and second joining reserves is not the best thing to do, it will take you years to OT or CT into regs, once you are in reserves.

mbhabfan said:
I think it is every six months but someone correct me if I am wrong.

It's correct. Although they won't make it every 6 months, but only before you are to complete your file to be merit listed.

Thanks MdB just the answer I was looking for. But why is only before you complete your file

Since my testing is complete and my medical just came back all clear, does that list of position numbers available still concern me?

Jordan411 said:
Since my testing is complete and my medical just came back all clear, does that list of position numbers available still concern me?
Ahhh cryptic posts.  What list?

Ryhno's Grocery list

Sunscreen
Whiskey
Steak
Chicken
Potatoe
Spinach
Whiskey
Socks

Umm no Jordans  ;)

Island Ryhno said:
Ryhno's Grocery list

Sunscreen
Whiskey
Steak
Chicken
Potatoe
Spinach
Whiskey
Socks

Umm no Jordans   ;)

LOL.  What no Trojans?

I paid a lot of money for the right not to have to buy Trojans, cost me three rings, engagement ring, wedding ring and SUFFERing  ;)

Back