• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

smoking

tallone77

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, i was just wondering how smoking is looked upon in the army.  For example during training and at your unit.  I know some people can be pritty anal about it so i was just curiouse how most people in the army feel about it.

thanks

"Smoke if you got them." is passe.

Smoking is frown upon everywhere now even in the CF.   The CF is adapting many of the ppoliciesyou see on civie street which means you smoke outside, even at sea.   Personally, I quit two years ago this Sunday but I would start again if I went overseas again, crazy I know.

You'll find that smoking is neither encouraged nor ostricized... if you smoke, fine, if you don't smoke, fine. Any time you're doing a course, you'll even find that *usually* for every hour of class, there'll be a five minute "smoke break" (Even if you don't smoke, you'll get a five minute break obviously)

The military has a strong work ethic, and as such, retains a slight culture of the only time you stop to take a break is for a smoke or for a meal... I know that as a non-smoker, I've actually been disapointed with the drop in the number of smokers, as because no one wants to go have a smoke (And therefore give me an excuse to disapear for five minutes outside) I've got to continue with whatever silly busy work I've been engaged in.

Oh, and policy with smoking is same as any other workplace, no smoking indoors. Outdoors, only in designated smoking areas.

In the field, you can smoke where you like (Generally, exceptions may apply) *outdoors*, no smoking in temporary or permanent structures.

And always remember to field strip those smokes when in the field!  :warstory:

During my coursing we used to have to barter PT for a smoke break. 5 push ups per minute it takes, on average, to toss back a dart. Then, on Fridays they would make the non-smokers do our PT for us, it got hard at times to find someone willing to dish out the push ups for our enjoyment.

Here's my advice :If you smoke now and are heading away to BMQ, quit!!! It's a good opportunity to kick the habit so why not?

I agree, Up front of course I am a noob so I have never been to BMQ, however in my experience I have always been able to massively reduce my smoking, if not drop it entirely, when I was kept busy and physically occupied.

I think I'll take that advice. If they let me in in the first place.

darkskypoet said:
I agree, Up front of course I am a noob so I have never been to BMQ, however in my experience I have always been able to massively reduce my smoking, if not drop it entirely, when I was kept busy and physically occupied.

I think I'll take that advice. If they let me in in the first place.

Kept busy and physically occupied has helped you not to smoke, well get ready for the army, they have a way of finding things to keep you busy.    One of the few pleasures was the smoke break, even for those did not smoke.   Don't get me wrong now, there are times when you can not smoke, tactically speaking especially if ya got an anal senior guy rooting about.   But, in my experience a break was a break, and we smoked.

One thing I will have to say was DND was in the forefront of the non smoking crusade.   Many years before I saw the work place banish smoking, I saw all DND push it outside to a designated smoke area.   AS for the field, again it was up to the training at hand.

anyhoo after a 12 hour stint of A to C in the rain, any non smoker would beg for a light on an Export A green, just to get   his second "wind".

hehehe

tess

Don't try and quit while on basic.
If you've quit recently, don't be surprised if you start again.

This is what we were told pretty much the first week. There are less stressful times in your life to try and quit than on BMQ or BOTC. If you're up for the challenge go for it, don't lemme discourage you but realistically there's so many more places to put your energy than fighting the urge.

Thank you for this post. So this means that no one can smoke inside of a ship in the CAnadian navy?
thank you

I hate it when you have to take a 22 hr bus ride or plane ride   no smoking for so long. Or after last light no smoking. It always helps though when your warrant smokes, oh and you meet alot of people you sometimes wouldnt in designated smoking area's and sometimes its even a good place to learn Info

Mod Edit to fix spelling mistakes and netspeak.

copecowboy said:
I dont smoke, but I chew tobacco I guess the same rules apply?
dipping is easier to do, since you can do it indoors, (Don't make it any easier to quit.  ::) ) so there's no real guidelines amongst the infantry, except, Don't get caught walking around with a dip cup in the main hallways. It's considerate to have a spit cup with a lid so you don't spill it anywhere (if you do spill it, YOU wipe it up. Immediately.). No dipping while on parade.

Disclaimer: Rules subject to change depending on your CSM.

For smokers: get into the habit of field-stripping your butts in Garrison. This way, you'll do it in the field. If you always just toss your butts, you'll do it in the field, and some sneaky jerk will creep up behind you and bump you in the middle of the night, if he's playing Enemy Force.  And do not smoke while walking in uniform. Drives Sar'nts-Major crazy!

As always, I strongly encourage anyone who smokes or dips to quit.
If you don't, for crying out loud, don't start. Stupid addiction, really, by any standard.

BMQ/SQ I was one of 6 original smokers out of 50...when I left, 26 of us smoked regularly.. but then, QL3's, course of 15, and I'm the only bloody smoker. But did they love it when I got a break...I'd just puff away with 14 guys sitting around me so they could have a break..

There is something though, to looking around and seeing that you're the only one with your hand in the air when they ask who smokes

Lies... there were two regular smokers, you just happened to be the only one who regularly bought smokes.

Personally, I consider myself an auxillury smoker... if there's no other smokers around, I will smoke if required to facillitate a "smoke break". Thankfully Sig_Des was more then willing to sacrifice his lungs for the rest of us on QL3.

No seriously, for a few weeks last year, our troop was sans smokers... I specificly bought a pack of colts so we had an excuse to take a break. (And no, I wasn't the other "regular smoker" if you're wondering... he should know who I'm talking about)

Just a Sig Op said:
Lies... there were two regular smokers, you just happened to be the only one who regularly bought smokes.

Personally, I consider myself an auxillury smoker... if there's no other smokers around, I will smoke if required to facillitate a "smoke break". Thankfully Sig_Des was more then willing to sacrifice his lungs for the rest of us on QL3.

I don't consider the person in question a regular smoker, as he only stole mine...And I'm happy to be of of service when it comes to sacrificing my lungs!

OK i gotta ask what is field stripping Cigarette butts like do you cut them or bury them or what

Back