• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So what is your opinion on saluting foreign officers?

Caeser said:
An interesting tid-bit I noted in the regs as posted earlier: it does not state CF pers are to salute allied officers only. So I guess we have to salute 'enemy' officers as well? I seem to remember seeing documentary footage of WW2 where German officers are saluted by the Allies, and vice versa.

Oh, and I don't salute cadet officers - I know we're supposed to, but I don't. They can try and jack me up, if they like.   :threat:

I do believe "enemy" officers are entitled to courtesy.  When you are captured, you must give your rank to the enemy, and the various conventions and agreements outline different treatment for officers than NCMs, or at least used to.

You mean we no longer salute without headdress?

What is that move you make .. checking your arms at your sides, straightening up, and acknowledging the person. I thought that was saluting without headdress and it was also to be used when in civilian attire.

:-\

Equation -

You Salute commissioned officers

OCdts are not commissioned officers

Ergo.....

As to the w/o headdress, you don't have to check your arms, and you should already be straightened up, the salute is in the acknowledgment.

And   you salute all commissioned officers of countries recognized by Canada.

As to the address of by rank or Sir, that is a personal reference of the addressee. Some RSMs prefer RSM over sir. You tend to find out pretty quick. All the correct form of address are in the "book".

Neill McKay said:

A lot of soldiers don't salute CIC officers, because many don't think that there real officers. And we don't have to, from what I was taught, you don't have to salute CICs unless they hold a rank of Major and above.

Wesley you should enjoy this one...

I was on course in Gagetown and was in the J7 building waiting to go in to speak to the course Warrant (never a good thing while on course). As I was standing there sh1tt1ng a brick, an Aussie LCol ( at least I believe that's what his rank was) walked right past and I had never seen the Aussie combats before so I was starring just a little. The LCol stopped and started speaking with me and I explained why I was starring still not seeing his rank just sort of shooting the sh1t with him and what not. Then I saw his rank :eek: and snapped to and gave him the high five :salute: followed by an apology that sounded like Bugs Bunny on crack.

He was great about it, laughed it off told me no worries mate and to have a good day.

All in all a very cool guy, quite young too for a LCol.

Devlin said:
Wesley you should enjoy this one...

I was on course in Gagetown and was in the J7 building waiting to go in to speak to the course Warrant (never a good thing while on course). As I was standing there sh1tt1ng a brick, an Aussie LCol ( at least I believe that's what his rank was) walked right past and I had never seen the Aussie combats before so I was starring just a little. The LCol stopped and started speaking with me and I explained why I was starring still not seeing his rank just sort of shooting the sh1t with him and what not. Then I saw his rank :eek: and snapped to and gave him the high five :salute: followed by an apology that sounded like Bugs Bunny on crack.

He was great about it, laughed it off told me no worries mate and to have a good day.

All in all a very cool guy, quite young too for a LCol.

And the Warrant?  We're dying to hear the rest  of it...

Michael Dorosh said:
And the Warrant?    We're dying to hear the rest   of it...

Yea, we wonna hear about all the bad sh*t you got into  :D

D-n-A said:
A lot of soldiers don't salute CIC officers, because many don't think that there real officers. And we don't have to, from what I was taught, you don't have to salute CICs unless they hold a rank of Major and above.

Which is incorrect, whoever "taught" you this was wrong. Regardless of their, or your, opinion of what you comsider the quality and training of a CIC officer, they also hold the Queen's Commission, and are entitled to be paid proper respects and compliments for commissioned officers.

Here at BATUS ALL officers are saluted by lower ranks no matter want nationality except in the field.  It builds cohesion between allies and other services.  The salute is a greeting between warriors.

When in the CF, I saluted CIC officers to show them the respect they deserve as they do hold a commission. I also have no problem in showing support for the Australian Army Cadet Corps (233 Regional Cadet Unit - Kogarah) affiliated with my Regiment of the RAA. I have volunteered my time for giving drill in the past, and I look at the AACC as future recruits for the ADF in general.

Here in Australia CIC officers do not hold a commission, but are appointed, and I again salute giving them the respect they deserve, calling them Sir or Ma'am as required.

Respect, co-operation and understanding are a two way street, and as a professional soldier, and I am not going to diminish respect for myself, rank, Corps and Army in general. Full stop.

Personal feelings aside any person who does not salute an officer regarless of who they are is showing not onlylack of respect, and immaturity, but contempt for the entire system.

Regards,

Wes

How does the saluting system work?

Always salute those higher then you or salute anyone you see?

Het BBJ, I was at BATUS about 3 wks ago, popping into Ralston (new CANEX) for some cheap Levis 501s ($49, they are $A130 here) before going on station to the new WOs and SGTs' Mess. I had not been there since 1994, and the place has changed quite a bit.

I signed the guest book in the mess, and if you are a SNCO have a squizz, its the only Australian entry in the month of July.

Cheers,

Wes

I was saluted once by accident of course...Still Definetly not my favorite part of being an officer. I'm far to humble, and have yet to get it through my head that it won't be me they salute but the commission, to enjoy a good straight salute.

Now as it was explained to me,when dealing with officers in a moderately informal setting at the rank of Captain/Lt.(N) or below it's okay to refer to them by their rank.
I just say sir most of the time because it feels right.
My biggest problem is I'm the son of an officer and as a child spent a great deal of time in an informal setting with officers, so I feel unnaturally comfortable around officers of any rank, to a point where I called admiral Davidson "Old Bean" at a bbq...mind you it wasn't a very formal setting at all, but suffice it to say mostly everyone called him sir.

To be honest, saluting is one of those issues with me that I have never quite been able to get into my head. When it's appropriate, when it's not, should I just throw up a high five for the hell of it even if it's common knowledge that one doesn't have to.

Sorry wes,  I'm inthe Officers Mess.  We do seem to get a few Aussie coming through, mostly on exchange with British units.

Michael OLeary said:
Which is incorrect, whoever "taught" you this was wrong. Regardless of their, or your, opinion of what you comsider the quality and training of a CIC officer, they also hold the Queen's Commission, and are entitled to be paid proper respects and compliments for commissioned officers.

Bang on. The commission granted to ALL officers in the CF reads exactly the same and bears the same signatures. All CF officers, from the greenest 2Lt to the CDS, hold their rank on authority of the Queen's commission irrespective of their MOC. Given that all of us in the CF have sworn loyalty to the Queen, not showing proper respect for her authority (commission) is at best very poor form. Disobeying a standing order issued on her authority (QR&O cited above) is simply not acceptable. If it has more gold than you do salute it.

As to the saluting of foreign officers, the QR&O's seem to be fairly clear. The same compliments appropriate for Canadian officers are due to foreign officers as well.

"Old bean" and you're still alive Che? Guess his aide wasn't at hand, nor any chiefs.  ;D

skura said:
So what's a good rule of thumb then (for saluting)?
The navy's got a good one: If it moves salute it, if it doesn't paint it.

Wheather you think it good or bad,it's Force's policy that you salute Officers of other Nations even the enemy.

Che said:
My biggest problem is I'm the son of an officer and as a child spent a great deal of time in an informal setting with officers, so I feel unnaturally comfortable around officers of any rank, to a point where I called admiral Davidson "Old Bean" at a bbq...mind you it wasn't a very formal setting at all, but suffice it to say mostly everyone called him sir.
I'm also the son of an officer and spent a good amount of time in the officer's mess getting recruited as a child by officers. "He looks like he'll be a Highlander to me!" much to the chagrin of my father. And having to salute my father as a lowly private and call him sir before he ordered me to "phone your mother" was a very surreal and odd feeling.

Back