• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So You Want to be an officer, eh!

Yes, the 15th of this month.

...not quite sure about the last question but I suggest you to hand-in your application form NOW; or wait another year (ask your recruiting officer too, for a more legitimate input about the matter).

Submitted to the CFRC.  For certain trades (i.e.: Pilot) you'd likely want to have your application submitted before the deadline, as the whole process is pretty long.  If you want to get in for 2013-2014, go apply ASAP. No applications (should) be accepted after January 15th at your CFRC.

I've already completed the application process, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if January fifteenth is the deadline to get your application into the CFRCs or is it the deadline to get the entire process completed, as in the CFAT, interview, and medical.

Thanks!

SIROEW said:
I've already completed the application process, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if January fifteenth is the deadline to get your application into the CFRCs or is it the deadline to get the entire process completed, as in the CFAT, interview, and medical.

Thanks!

Spoke to a recruiter today, according to him, the application (along with all supplementary docs) needs to be submitted by 15 Jan; the CFAT, medical, etc. does not need to be completed by this day. He also informed me that once you receive your file number for your application, you should promptly begin your additional paperwork online with RMC.

Lastly, I was informed that if for whatever reason you submit your application after the 15 Jan deadline, this does not mean you will not be considered for the 2013-2014 school year, it's just that they cannot guarantee that they will be able to process you (CFAT, medical, etc.) in time for the school year.

Best of luck.

John

I've got the interview coming up soon. I've got a list of things to know going into the center, just to be prepared for any kind of question that could be asked. If you would like to help me and add some things, that'd be great!

- Descriptions, training, environment of chosen occupations
- Principles of leadership (problem solving, task delegation, mutual respect, etc.)
- Volunteer experiences and their impact on me/community
- Academic effort
- Personal strengths/weaknesses (to be improved on)
- Personal morals/ideals/philosophies
- Canadian values
- Why I want to join and why I think I'd be chosen
(*It doesn't hurt to know the interviewer first (if you know who it is). I've had a few conversations with him already and I have a feeling the interview will go smoothly).

Thank you.

Regards,

:cdn:

Go on Forces.ca and MEMORIZE your trade choice sheets.

I promise that will come in handy.

Alex.Landry said:
Go on Forces.ca and MEMORIZE your trade choice sheets.

I promise that will come in handy.

Quoted for truth.
My interviewer was extremely impressed by my knowledge about the role of an officer in general as well as my knowledge of my choice of trades. He actually told me to stop at one point, as I obviously knew what I was going into and he needed no more proof of this.
One more thing: don't stress too much about the interview.  The interviewer, from my experience and the experiences of others, is trained to make you feel very comfortable around him.  Be very honest. Dress well. Be professionnal in attitude and spirit.
You'll do good, don't worry :)

Jon_John said:
Can someone please advise on the deadline for RMC applications for the 2013-2014 school year? I've searched the net and found some conflicting info, 15 Jan 13 is what I've found?
Additionally, is this the deadline for applications to make it to RMC or the deadline for them to be submitted to CFRC?

I believe that 15 Jan 13 is the application "deadline" to ensure that your file is "fully" processed in time for the future selection boards.  You can still apply after this date but there will be NO guarantee that your file will be completed on time for selections.

Noctis said:
Quoted for truth.
My interviewer was extremely impressed by my knowledge about the role of an officer in general as well as my knowledge of my choice of trades. He actually told me to stop at one point, as I obviously knew what I was going into and he needed no more proof of this.
One more thing: don't stress too much about the interview.  The interviewer, from my experience and the experiences of others, is trained to make you feel very comfortable around him.  Be very honest. Dress well. Be professionnal in attitude and spirit.
You'll do good, don't worry :)

Thank you very much. That will help tremendously. Is there anything else I should "study"?

Regards,

:cdn:

I stumbled over this website a few hours ago. I quickly made an account and am now doing what so many others have asked for help. Acknowledge that my grammar is poor and is something I am working on improving. I still request that you please ignore it and help me the best you can or are willing too. I'm 16 right now and aspire to be an infantry officer possibly close-quarters protection, or JTF2. I'm getting ahead of myself and apologize. I would like to go to RMC and would like to know any tips, suggestion, and/or any information that can help me not only be a better soldier and officer but also as a leader and as a person. I do know that I have awhile before I will apply. I may even wait a year to make sure that my grades are above 80% but also so that I am mentally and physically ready to face the challenges set before me.

I do not have any delusions that an officer is a dashing or anything Hollywood makes them out to be. I grew up listening to my father tell me stories about his time in the army and what they can be like. From these stories and from what history has told me good leaders never give orders that they themselves would be unwilling to follow. (Reason why I'm not joining bomb squad. No offence I have great respect for the soldiers who do that.) I spent some time reading the first page of the forum and would like to know from NCO what makes a good officer? I have talk to a Major who went to RMC (He went when they first let girls in too) and a Captain mainly they both said grades. I would like to know what can I do to help distinguish myself from the others who are applying.

Also I have a great amount of respect for every soldier who has and/or is serving our country. Lastly I do have great respect sergeants and corporals I simply hope that if I make it in and become an infantry officer that I have NCOs who are willing to help mentor me in being a good officer.

I've just looked at the RMC page It sounds like people who go there are very full of themselves. I still want to go because its a university and I'd like to get a degree and I know it add a political edge. I do realize that politics plays a role in all parts of life that being said would it affect my chances of getting in if three genrations of my family have served as NCOs?

Consider joining your local reserve unit for a few years especially if you are considering civilian university. The experience you get as a NCM will be invaluable to you if you choose to join as an officer later on.

Willing To Learn said:
I spent some time reading the first page of the forum and would like to know from NCO what makes a good officer? I have talk to a Major who went to RMC (He went when they first let girls in too) and a Captain mainly they both said grades.

I hope you mean they thought that grades is the most important thing for making you a good applicant, not a good officer.

Willing To Learn said:
I've just looked at the RMC page It sounds like people who go there are very full of themselves.

Well, you're a fast learner I'll give ya that much.

Well, grades are important, and do your best to get the best grades possible. That being said, having good grades don't necessarily make you a good officer. You are still young, so focus on school, volunteer, and take up leadership positions in clubs and stuff, the experience that you gain there will be invaluable no matter what you do in life.

As for people being full of themselves, you will see that no matter what you do in life. Don't let them get to you, and just focus on yourself, be humble, and be eager to listen to others who has been there and done that. Before I was a pretty cocky person as well, but then a chain of events in the last year or so had brought me down a notch or two. I feel that I'm a much better person because of it, so be humble, listen more, and talk less. You will see the world totally different if you do.

My  :2c:

ballz said:
I hope you mean they thought that grades is the most important thing for making you a good applicant, not a good officer.

Well, you're a fast learner I'll give ya that much.

Thank you I try to pick up on as much as possible that gives me a better view. Yes they did also that school life is a change from the norm but I figured it would be its the only Goverment building that can give degrees.

Cui said:
As for people being full of themselves, you will see that no matter what you do in life. Don't let them get to you, and just focus on yourself, be humble, and be eager to listen to others who has been there and done that. Before I was a pretty cocky person as well, but then a chain of events in the last year or so had brought me down a notch or two. I feel that I'm a much better person because of it, so be humble, listen more, and talk less. You will see the world totally different if you do.

I had the illusion that I wouldn't run into them at RMC but I'm glad that I found out. I'll keep it in mind that in mind thank you.

jeffb said:
Consider joining your local reserve unit for a few years especially if you are considering civilian university. The experience you get as a NCM will be invaluable to you if you choose to join as an officer later on.

Can't I orignally planned on it but I found out that I would be a reserves officer and have to pay for school as well as if I wanted to be a Reg officer I'd have to go through a process. Plus my little sister can use the tuition money when she goes to school. Thank you for the advice though I'll double check incase I'm wrong.

Please keep commenting I'm very thank full for the advice and tips.

Willing To Learn said:
I've just looked at the RMC page It sounds like people who go there are very full of themselves.
Why not paint everyone with the same brush?  Great approach to take with people.

See how far it gets you.

jwtg said:
Why not paint everyone with the same brush?  Great approach to take with people.

See how far it gets you.
I don't really understand what you mean but if your saying that I have already made up an idea of people who go to RMC and think that they are all stuck up.  Your wrong I had the illusion that I wound not find that at RMC. I also talk to my dad he explained they spend 4 years as recruits lower then privates. Although they are not in the field all the time but they are staying up till 1 am studying and working hard so it help me understand why they act the way they do. They are indoctrinated to do so just like RCMP or cops. I do not take that approach on life and sure as hell would never do that in the army it would make life and my job impossible. I will give them all the benefit of the doubt like I try to do with everyone.

Willing To Learn said:
. . . . . but they are staying up till 1 am studying and working hard . . . . .

Only the mediocre students.  The smart ones don't have to and the stupid ones don't want to. (or vice versa)

jwtg said:

See how far it gets you.

As you can see "Willing to Learn," by both this comment and my milpoints history, they also don't have a very good sense of humour. ;)

Back