• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

Lonewolf121 said:
Michael O'leary
I heard there is a BMQ in Newwfoundland between June 30th and Aug 5th, wondering why its longer then the normal BMQ course.?

This is a BMQ(C) Course....and it runs 30 Jun till 4 Aug, followed by a BMQ(L) 5-20 Aug.

George Wallace said:
Let me see.  Could it be because the Timetable includes two Stat Holidays?

For NFLD during this time frame there is only 1 stat holiday, Memorial Day (1 July)

NFLD Sapper said:
This is a BMQ(C) Course....and it runs 30 Jun till 4 Aug, followed by a BMQ(L) 5-20 Aug.

For NFLD during this time frame there is only 1 stat holiday, Memorial Day (1 July)

.....And what of Royal St. John's Regatta, which is observed as a civic holiday in St. John's on the first Wednesday in August (or, in case of poor weather, the next suitable day thereafter)? 

George Wallace said:
.....And what of Royal St. John's Regatta, which is observed as a civic holiday in St. John's on the first Wednesday in August (or, in case of poor weather, the next suitable day thereafter)? 

That would impact the BMQ(L) COURSE  :nod:

Hey. So i'm interested in doin the CFAT. I found a site called *********. Does anyone know if its any good? I read on some forums they have a lot of info and practice stuff on their site, just wanted to check here before i jump in.
Cheers

Antoine4554 said:
I'm about to write myCFAT. I heard it is challenging and that i need to study for a few months. My recruiter pointed me to ********. I think i'm going to sign up as they seem to have study guides and a lot of practice exams. Will report back.

Antoine4554 said:
So i'm interested in doin the CFAT. I found a site called ********. Does anyone know if its any good? I read on some forums they have a lot of info and practice stuff on their site, just wanted to check here before i jump in.

Antoine4554 said:
Hi, I'm preparing to do my cfat and was wondering what resources you guys used? I read there is a site ****** that has stuff to study and practice tests but i wanted to check if anyone has tried it. Any suggestions??
Cheers

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0

MandaMae said:
Any idea if weekends are granted during BMQ-L?
Nothing is guaranteed, especially in early career courses such as BMQ-L. And it depends on your staff.
The whole course is only about 4-5 weeks long. My course (done in ValCartier) was CB'd every weekend til grad weekend. Were we a bad course? Not necessarily, our staff told us this was their way to encourage group cohesion and teamwork. We were only CB'd to the base though, so we still had quite a bit of freedom. We could have had visitors, but just couldn't leave the base.

I'm not so sure I buy the group cohesion argument.

Some of the best bonding times I've had in the army was when the course all went to Wasaga beach and rented a bunch of cabins on the weekend.

Can I take SQ as an Armored Soldier? I don't mind my trade, but I'd like to learn as much as I can.

AleaIactaEst said:
Can I take SQ as an Armored Soldier? I don't mind my trade, but I'd like to learn as much as I can.

SQ no longer exists, the course has been altered a bit, and is now called BMQ-Land.  As an Armoured Soldier, you will attend this course after BMQ.

Would BMQ-L not be incorporated in an armoured soldier's DP1?
I thought combat arms got to "skip" BMQ-L since it's covered on DP1...

paleomedic said:

Pretty sure only infantry does the combined course.

paleomedic said:

Negative.

Only Infantry have what others learn on SQ/BMQ-L combined in their DP1.

Everyone else does BMQ-L.

LightFighter said:
SQ no longer exists, the course has been altered a bit, and is now called BMQ-Land.  As an Armoured Soldier, you will attend this course after BMQ.

Cool! Thanks for the reply and the information.

Fresh off the boat, one might say.

I have slept the first night in my own bed post completion of BMQ-L serial 0546. Typically this news would hardly be worthy of a post. However, seeing as I was the only Master Corporal in attendance on the course as a candidate, I believe I might have some perspective to offer up and coming would be future candidates.

When I first attempted an SQ course back in 2009 I made it partially through. Due to a sustained foot injury, I was returned to CFB Borden and was encouraged to attempt the training at a later date. Subsequently, I received QL3 training for MSE Op shortly after and was given an initial posting to 19 Wing Comox. During my 8 years of paradise posting on the beautiful eastern shores of Vancouver Island, I made the inquiry about a possible SQ reattempt. The powers that be did not see the training as pertinent to my career. Perhaps there was a slight disconnect between the known needs of the typical blue wearing beret folks and that of a green. Regardless, my career rolled forward and in the spring of 2016 I was advised of my promotion and posting to CFLTC as an instructor for future QL3 MSE Op candidates at the Transport Cadre.

So, we all know we have to take responsibility for our own careers, right? Well, evidently I dropped the ball... I came to Borden anticipating a course loading on a PLQ. After more than 6 months of pestering my CoC it was revealed that due to my lack of BMQ-L qualification, I was not eligible to initiate PLQ training. If it wasn't so funny I would cry. The skeleton in my closet revealed was great ammunition for jest amongst the guys at work as you can imagine. Comments like "Man, we were willing to give you pass, not being PLQ qualified... But not even qualified soldier... who is this leaf wearing imposter!"

Anyway, the writing was on the wall and the great green machine had made its verdict known. I was course loaded on BMQ-L slated for start date of 24 April and end date 19 May 2017. Preparation for this course on my part included maintaining a regular routine at the gym, regular weekly ruck marching, procurement of all items kit related. WRT to my physical conditioning, I would have to be honest, and say I didn't do enough... I am 41 years old and the requirements physically of this course to complete it with ease a free of injury would dictate that you be at a level of exceptional conditioning for my age group. On the rucking front, I would say I barely met the ideal conditioning level. In retrospect, I should have been rucking double what I was with significantly more weight in order to prepare for the routine load of tac-vest, frag vest with training plates, rucksack loaded to 40 lbs and carrying C9/C6 without sling more than 10 km per day. The kit procurement aspect was a bit daunting, to say the least. Finding relevant joining instructions which included the proper kit list for this course is a chore and half. A multitude of broken or missing links and unmaintained websites add significantly to the frustration. For anyone who cares to obtain the kit list I went off of, please feel free to send me a pm.

The course its self, was as named, basic. The content is intended for the newly enlisted member. It strives to develop confidence in various weapon systems including C9, C6, C7, frag grenade, M72 and comms equipment including field phone and radio. At times it seemed the training was fast and furious and others it seemed to be stalled and arduous. As an instructor myself I fully appreciate that flexibility in scheduling often results in training lulls and fire hose delivery. Importance throughout the 20 days of training is certainly targeted at the team building aspect. Standards of inspection and deportment were such that individualism was not an advisable approach. My daily routine while in Edmonton Garrison went as followed. Up by no later than 0430, just because I am an early riser and hate having to share the shaving sink with the mad horde of guys who thought to sleep in a few extra mins was the responsible thing to do. Prepare my bed space and layout for the daily inspection between 0445 and 0515. On PT mornings, which were nearly all mornings, we would either go for a fast paced sprint/run or a rucksac run/march. I made a point of going to breakfast daily without exception. I know of a few individuals who thought skipping breakfast was a good idea. They would skip the meal in order to have more time to work on kit or make up for time lost hitting the snooze button. Personally, I believe if you can't peel yourself off the bed in the morning early enough to have a bowl of oatmeal then your day has already started on a less than positive note. After physical training and inspections were complete our course would make the 3km march to the training facility. Classes typically got underway by 0800. The population of the course was broken down into 4 sections. Each section had its own section IC and 2 IC. While in garrison the course did all relevant training specific to the various weapon systems. Intermittently, we would have a day on the range to confirm the specific systems training.

The field portion of the training platform is where the rubber meets the road. All the prior training is employed in various scenarios. From the construction of stage 6 trenches to recce patrol theory and introduction to section attacks, the field portion covered it. Many people on the course found the field portion to be challenging and character defining. As anyone who knows can attest, after 48 hours of sleepless constant activity, the true colours of folks personality and stamina start to become apparent. Adding to the mix the uncertainty of Wainwright weather systems, you have the perfect recipe for some individuals to question their resolve and life choices as it pertains to their military career, albeit in its infancy.  Then just as quickly as it began, BMQ-L serial 0546 came to a conclusion. We had a few losses along the way. Those who were unable to complete the course were those who suffered either from pre-existing medical circumstances or injury sustained while training. I cannot emphasize enough, to complete the course free of injury and with relative ease, you must as with all military training be in optimal physical and mental shape. 
In point form, I would offer the following as my top suggestions for the upcoming candidate.

• Acquire a kit list that is specific to the course you are taking. There are variances between summer and winter month requirements.
• Be in optimal physical shape. If running or digging for prolonged periods is not a strength of yours at present, you have work to do before you go.
• Be mentally resilient and mature enough to understand the way team dynamics work. If you take every bit of criticism, be it constructive or not, to heart than likely this course will push you beyond your present limitations.
• View the course as 20 training days. That weekend’s break up those 20 training days is not relevant.  You are on basic military course and having a weekend off is certainly not an entitlement. In the event your course is afforded some free time on a weekend, use the time to catch up on rest and personal chores you had been putting off.
• Do not be afraid to put voice to the facts you know… But spare us all your opinion. Your opinion is your decided preferable interpretation of something which you have not the factual or complete knowledge to speak definitively about.

That is all.

I'm sure there is a lot of great information in that wall of text, but some paragraphs would really help make it actually readable.

Deck you guys  were allowed to skip breakfast? When I did my SQ course 13 years ago we were told it was a chargeable offensive to miss a meal. No way we could even try because we were march to our meals. Was wondering did  the rules changed or something. Sorry you guys getting to decided whether to go for breakfast or not really stuck out.

Fake Penguin,

That I recall no one specifically laid down the law that breakfast meal must be attended. We as a course were instructed to make our way to and from the dining hall in at least groups of two and no larger than groups of four. Perhaps the expectation was that people were mature enough to recognize such a physically demanding course would dictate the necessity to maintain a regular diet. For the most part, the other two meals of the day were chaperoned by the marching NCO of the day.

Back