• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech - merged

The Para-Rigger trade opened up to those fresh off of their 3's just under 2 years ago. I was on the first 3's course that was offered direct entry into it, sadly I didn't give it a shot due to a medical limit I had at the time. I do however have a friend that jumped on that wagon, and he loves it.

As for the postings, sometimes it's a crap shoot to be honest, as it is with every trade. I had applied for Pet, Halifax, and Esquimault, 3 operational bases. I ended up in Edmonton. At first I hated the idea of the posting, had only heard negative things about it. Now, I rather like being posted to Edmonton. As Vern said, and as much as I hate saying it (only because everyone said it to me, and I didn't want them to be right!), it is in fact what you make of it. CFB Edmonton has an incredibly high operational tempo, so rest assured you would be kept busy, depending on what section you are in. There are lots of opportunities there as well, from working in a POL section, to clothing to a CQMS. All are needed, some may suck, but you need to put some suck time in before you get the nice gigs.

If you have any questions about being a suppie in Edmonton, fire away, and I'll try to help you out.

Dan

CSickness said:
I love the cubical pictures .. well done!

My pleasure. I hope you like the song too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O_5ef49N5I

Chapeski said:
As for the postings, sometimes it's a crap shoot to be honest, as it is with every trade. I had applied for Pet, Halifax, and Esquimault, 3 operational bases. I ended up in Edmonton. At first I hated the idea of the posting, had only heard negative things about it. Now, I rather like being posted to Edmonton.

Halifax and Kingston would be great postings... the ONLY reason I don't want Edmonton is because I already live here.  I am an Oilers and Eskimos fan (hate me if you will lol) but I want out of this city.  I miss living on the east coast.  That being said... if I get posted to Etown I will make the most of it... I at least already know the city :)

They might end up keeping you in Edmonton, it wouldn't require a cost move, and that is a big factor come posting time. Considering each move costs a fortune to start with. That being said, you would only possibly be in Edmonton for a couple more years (4-6), then you have a much better chance of getting exactly where you want.

Actually I never even thought about the cost involved with being moved... good point! Yes it wouldn't be the end of the world getting stuck here longer I suppose.  It just would have been nice to be closer to my family but as the saying goes "beggars can't be choosers!"

Tell me about it, why do you think I put Pet down. It wouldn't have cost as much to move me there either.

I didn't get my first choice on my first posting either if it's any consolation; rather, the CF is going to post you where they need you the most at "X" point in time.

Either way, make what you can of it. It won't last forever.

Does anyone know when the next MOC training is for Sup Tech? Presuming I make it all the way thru my basic training... I will graduate on May 27,2010.  So just wondering if there is a course running soon after that in Borden?

ArmyVern said:
I didn't get my first choice on my first posting either if it's any consolation; rather, the CF is going to post you where they need you the most at "X" point in time.

Either way, make what you can of it. It won't last forever.

Yeah, but it wouldn't have been the same had you never had met me, huh? Although come to think about it...i'm kinda scarred too... speaking of scarred, are you comin' to the Logspeil this year?

BinRat55 said:
Yeah, but it wouldn't have been the same had you never had met me, huh? Although come to think about it...i'm kinda scarred too... speaking of scarred, are you comin' to the Logspeil this year?
I met you during the course of my second posting. My second posting was to where I requested as choice 1.

I didn't scar you!!

As for the Logspeil, we had to report to this course in Jul with only 9 days leave left - ergo we got Christmas off and will get March Break off ... other than that we are chained to the chairs in our classrooms until Jul 2010. Five and a half months down and 6 to go  ... sigh.

ArmyVern said:
[edited for length]

As for the Logspeil, we had to report to this course in Jul with only 9 days leave left - ergo we got Christmas off and will get March Break off ... other than that we are chained to the chairs in our classrooms until Jul 2010. Five and a half months down and 6 to go  ... sigh.

Vern are you on the French course??

I saw this and couldn't for the life of me figure out what Supply or Chiefs course you could be on for that long (until I thought of the French 2nd Lang long course)

Otis

Otis said:
Vern are you on the French course??

I saw this and couldn't for the life of me figure out what Supply or Chiefs course you could be on for that long (until I thought of the French 2nd Lang long course)

Otis

Exactement monsieur - c'est le cours de français; ensuite je serrai muté à un poste à Asticou (Gatineau). Hier, notre gérant de carrière m'a offert ce poste là et j'ai accpeté ce matin (if I pass!!).

Well, bonne chance ... I hope you have fun in Gatineau!

Chapeski said:
There are lots of opportunities there as well, from working in a POL section, to clothing to a CQMS. All are needed, some may suck, but you need to put some suck time in before you get the nice gigs.

If you have any questions about being a suppie in Edmonton, fire away, and I'll try to help you out.

Dan

I realize you wrote this a while ago now but I finally got around to figuring out what POL and CQMS meant! LOL I am still a little confused as to what a CQMS does and wondering if that would even apply to me when I become a private? I do realize its being in charge of supply but I guess I don't understand what the company quartermaster is.  Laugh if you will but I am trying to learn this new military lingo and my best guess would be its some sort of store? And other than that how many units would I have the possibility to work at in Edmonton? I honestly have no idea of how each base is set up.  I have looked at various bases but unsure where a Suppie fits into the equation!  ;)

I can't believe I leave for basic in 17 days and get sworn in this friday!!!! Oh its finally all happening! No matter what posting I get or unit assignment I will just be thrilled to be working for the CF.  Just wish I did this 17 years ago!!! LOL

Cheers!

A Company Quartermaster Sergeant (CQMS) in the Canadian Forces is the non-commissioned officer in a company who is in charge of supplies. The CQMS also serves as deputy to the Company Sergeant Major and is the second most senior NCO in the company. This appointment is held by a Warrant Officer. Historically, before Unification of the three services, the rank of Staff Sergeant was generally reserved for CQMS appointees in the former Canadian Army.

Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant (SQMS) is the equivalent in the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps, Canadian Military Engineers, and in Communications Command. Battery Quartermaster Sergeant (BQMS) is the equivalent in the Royal Canadian Artillery.

Well it sounds like that would be a job long in my future LOL.  Not sure what Chapeski meant then. 

I know I have asked this before and never received a response... but does anyone know when the next Supply Tech MOC course will be run in Borden? I only ask because I need to make arrangements for storing my vehicle.  My friends might not want to have it at their place beyond the 6 month mark  ;)

No worries if you don't have access to that info... hopefully I can finally get that out of the CFRC on Friday.

I thought CQMS stood for Company Quarter Master Stores (normally just called QM).  ???

PMedMoe said:
I thought CQMS stood for Company Quarter Master Stores (normally just called QM).  ???
First with the RCD/RCR sniper thread, and now this -- stay in your lane, newbie  ;D

Back