• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech - merged

Sean136 said:
Okay so this is my first post here! I have been reading soo many posts durning my application process and it has answered so many of my questions. However I am now at a standstill left confused. I went in again today to see my options and pretty much only supply techs open until April. It interest me some however combat trades where my picks now I am broke and in need of there benefits and pay too, my question basically is should I go supply tech and possibly OT once I am able or wait I don't know if it's possible to wait until April and not know which trades are opening then, combat trades may not even be open in April and I'm left where I am now. So any help would be extremely useful! Thanks guys

Ummm you state that this is your first post here but we have you posting back in 2008 so which is it?
http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/73852/post-764484.html#msg764484

Milnet.Ca Staff

Right sorry Ex-Dragoon I had forgotten I created this a while back to post on this forum so let's say this is my first post created ;)

and thank you Pusser couldn't have asked for more of an answer, I've decided based on that and other things to wait it out until the combat trades open up. hopefully this is in April I hope :D

I have come to a point in which I may not get into my desired trade which was Armoured Reconnaissance. Though slightly saddening, I still have a very small chance to do my desired trade...but it is very, very small. Because my chances seem to be rather low, I would like to consider another option, which is becoming a Supply Technician. Although it would not be my first choice of a trade (though don't get me wrong I would be very greatfull to have it) I think it would be a very valid choice for me primarily due to my previous warehousing experiences. I have talked to recruiters, read everything and watched everything on the recruiting website, and surfed the internet and stalked various forums for as much information I can find about this particular trade. I still have a few questions that I need to be answered and I would really appreciate some feedback.

My questions are:

-As a Supply Technician in the Army Reserve, would I ever be handling weapons and munitions, or is this solely for ammunition technicians to do?

-Would I take the SQ (Soldier Qualifications) course during training or sometime after my MOC training? Or would I take it at all? (I am aware of another forum post with this question, I would just like to have some clarification about this for the reserves as apposed to Regular Force).

-Would I do my training at the Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics or somewhere else such as on the job since I am Reserve?

-Would I be able to go out for regular field exercises with the Infantry and Armoured Recon?

-As a Supply Tech, what do you like about the job and dislike? What is an average day like for you?

Those are the current questions I currently have. I thank you for your help and responses!

AJSangster said:
-....handling weapons and munitions, or is this solely for ammunition technicians to do?

-Would I take the SQ (Soldier Qualifications) course during training or sometime after my MOC training? Or would I take it at all? ......

-Would I do my training at the Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics or somewhere else such as on the job since I am Reserve?

-Would I be able to go out for regular field exercises......

-As a Supply Tech, what do you like about the job and dislike? What is an average day like for you?

I was a Supply Tech in the Reserves, so I may be able to shed some light on your questions:

-The Supply Company will be in charge of weapons and ammunition for your unit. The Log Battalion I worked for went to the range 2 or 3 times a year for quals, and we were always issued weapons, (and usually blank ammunition) for field EX. You'll have lotsa time to get your greasy mitts on a rifle.  ;D

-SQ? Yup. I did mine right after BMQ, (back to back).

-Three months in Borden, baby! (YMMV, as the PRes QL3 changed form a few times while I was in). But yeah, Borden.

-In my experience, you would not be going out with other units, (unless you were attached as a Supply Tech on a Class B contract). But, things are always changing.

-As a Supply Tech in a PRes LOG Btn, I found we were usually always pretty busy on our training nights. There was always a monthly EX to prepare for, and any gaps were filled by other training.

Overall, the unit I was in still pushed the "Soldier first" concept, and I liked the fact fact that even though we were a LOG Btn, we still practiced section attacks, patrolling, convoy ops...etc. on Exes. (But, YMMV.)

Take this all with a grain of salt, as things are always changing.

HS

Only Supply "people" I have seen in the field are ones with the new "Combat Storesman Course" which, I don't think supply techs take.

SevenSixTwo said:
Only Supply "people" I have seen in the field are ones with the new "Combat Storesman Course" which, I don't think supply techs take.

Are you talking about the "new" (it's a few years old now) "Unit Ammo Rep" Course? Cbt Storesman have been around, and courses existed, since before I joined this outfit and that's a loooong time ago. Sup Techs, with or without the UAR course will still deal with ammo and they can take the course too.

AJSangster said:
My questions are:

-1)As a Supply Technician in the Army Reserve, would I ever be handling weapons and munitions, or is this solely for ammunition technicians to do?

-2)Would I take the SQ (Soldier Qualifications) course during training or sometime after my MOC training? Or would I take it at all? (I am aware of another forum post with this question, I would just like to have some clarification about this for the reserves as apposed to Regular Force).

-3)Would I do my training at the Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics or somewhere else such as on the job since I am Reserve?

-4)Would I be able to go out for regular field exercises with the Infantry and Armoured Recon?

-5)As a Supply Tech, what do you like about the job and dislike? What is an average day like for you?

1)  You will handle both as a Sup tech both for your own PD and training, and in the course of doing your job. Whether you find yourself employed within a ResF Svc Bn or at another Unit such as an Armd Res unit.

2)  As an Army Sup tech, you would complete SQ. This would occur at some point after your BMQ - perhaps immediately following it, perhaps not. Depends upon the trg schedule, course loading, and your location/availability.

3)  You may or may not undergo your trg at CFSAL. Dependent upon your location, unit, course availability and loading etc. Other locations such as Det Aldershot in Nova Scotia, run sup tech basic qualification courses for ResF members of the trade.

4)  Point 1: It's "recce" in Canada; "Recon" is an American term. Other than that, you would participate in Exs with your own Unit and, if you are a member of a ResF Svc Bn, you may find yourself tasked out to provide support to other Units' exercises. ResF Ammo Techs are very few and far between, most Units have a Sup Tech to handle ammo support (demanding, receipting, issuing, storing [with caveats of course]) on their behalves.

5)  It's different for everyone and it is all dependent upon you, your location, your Unit tasks etc. Search this site for details of the ups & downs of being a Sup Tech; many threads exist.

Good luck with your application and your future endeavours.

Hammer Sandwich said:
I was a Supply Tech in the Reserves, so I may be able to shed some light on your questions:

-The Supply Company will be in charge of weapons and ammunition for your unit. The Log Battalion I worked for went to the range 2 or 3 times a year for quals, and we were always issued weapons, (and usually blank ammunition) for field EX. You'll have lotsa time to get your greasy mitts on a rifle.  ;D

-SQ? Yup. I did mine right after BMQ, (back to back).

-Three months in Borden, baby! (YMMV, as the PRes QL3 changed form a few times while I was in). But yeah, Borden.

-In my experience, you would not be going out with other units, (unless you were attached as a Supply Tech on a Class B contract). But, things are always changing.

-As a Supply Tech in a PRes LOG Btn, I found we were usually always pretty busy on our training nights. There was always a monthly EX to prepare for, and any gaps were filled by other training.

Overall, the unit I was in still pushed the "Soldier first" concept, and I liked the fact fact that even though we were a LOG Btn, we still practiced section attacks, patrolling, convoy ops...etc. on Exes. (But, YMMV.)

Take this all with a grain of salt, as things are always changing.

HS

No idea, all I know is that everyone else calls it new and that until recently it was not available (or did not exist) to us.  ;D

AJSangster said:
-Would I be able to go out for regular field exercises with the Infantry and Armoured Recon?
Depending on where you live there may be infantry or recce units (or any other kind of Army reserve unit) with open positions for sup techs. As a member of an Army reserve unit you will go on field exercises with your unit. Once you are trained there may be opportunities to volunteer for taskings to support other units.

SevenSixTwo said:
No idea, all I know is that everyone else calls it new and that until recently it was not available (or did not exist) to us.  ;D

Well, if you are Sup, you are the lowest priority for it (but I know 2 troops who've done it since it's inception ~2009) precisely because you are a Sup tech ... much of it covers things you already learn on Sup tech career courses. Same with a cbt storesman course --- no requirement for a Sup tech to undertake as this is a normal part of your job from QL3 onward.

Rheostatic said:
Depending on where you live there may be infantry or recce units (or any other kind of Army reserve unit) with open positions for sup techs. As a member of an Army reserve unit you will go on field exercises with your unit. Once you are trained there may be opportunities to volunteer for taskings to support other units.

And, to be clear, as an Army Sup Tech, he can also be employed in an ARAF or NavRes B Class posn, or a Res Comm Sqn etc, if any of those have posns in his area that are open.

There's also an increasing push for reserve training events, including weekend exercises, to employ multiple trades so there's better understanding of how things are supposed to work.  I've seen Reserve Svc Bns push out support dets to artillery, engineer and infantry units - doing tasks like ammo control, transport, weapons maintenance....

Thanks so much for the fantastic feedback guys, I rely appreciate it! I am very excited to see if I get into this trade, so thank you all very much!

ArmyVern said:
And, to be clear, as an Army Sup Tech, he can also be employed in an ARAF or NavRes B Class posn, or a Res Comm Sqn etc, if any of those have posns in his area that are open.

Res Comm Sqn's are gone in terms of Reserve Communications branch. It's now all signals regiments under the army branch.

So I am in the midst of my Aptitude Test, Medical and Interview. I have passed the aptitude test and am going next week for the remaining two elements which I hope to pass easily. I'm attempting to join as an Air Force Supply Tech, my Grandfather started out in the RCAF in WW2 and my Great Grandfather was in WW1 as a pilot so why not RCAF for me!

Anyway as Supply Tech is Purple I have been told to expect to serve in all three branches of the CF regardless of my uniform colour. I’ve always been a military enthusiast so I respect all the branches; however I’m 35 and have a young family. So I would prefer to stick too Air Force and Army postings essentially to stay close to the family. I’d take a Navy posting happily so long as it is dockside. Eventually when my kid or kids are older I’d love to do a posting that involves being stationed on a ship but just not now.

Anyway my first question is how much does the CF care about what I want or would prefer posting wise especially now as a snot nosed Recruit?

Also how likely am I to get to wear Air Force Blue? I've been told that as Supply Tech is Purple they stick you in whatever uniform they need Supply Techs in Army, Air or Navy. HOWEVER I've also been told that I should get to wear Blue because as a Supply Tech it doesn't matter what you wear as you'll be posted anywhere in any element...

Some help here would be appreciated.

Allocation of uniforms within the Logistics Branch (under which Sup Techs fall) is based on the demographics of the CF.  For example, if the Navy makes up 15% of the CF, then 15% of the Logistics Branch will wear a Navy uniform.  You are allowed to state a preference, but you will be assigned in accordance with the numbers (i.e. if 95% of candidates prefer Air Force uniforms, some of them are going to be disappointed.  However,  if only 1% ask for Air Force, then every one of those will get his/her 1st choice - just realize it never seems to work out that way  ;D).

As for postings, for whatever reason (which is beyond me), Supply Techs are expected to gain experience in at least two operational environments (officers seldom, if ever, cross environments) and uniform is of little importance in this regard.  Hence, you will see personnel in Naval uniform in service batallions and guys in green on board ship.  Like anything else, you are allowed to state a preference, but in the end, you will go where the CF needs you.  Having said this, there are plenty of Sup Techs who have managed to have long successful careers in the environment and in the uniform of their choice. 

You could also receive a light blue uniform and never be "RCAF".

That is because the "RCAF" is simply an environmental command, and not a service. You could spend your entire career in one or both of the other environmental commands now known as the RCN and CA, or any of the organizations within the CF that belong to none of those.

Uniform colour alone will not determine how much time you spend at home or away either.

Thank you for the quick responses

If I do get to wear light blue I assume though that if I kept on requesting Air Force bases throughout my career I would eventually get posted to one every now and then?

Also if I do get put in a Green or Dark Blue uniform to start and after what the first 3 or 4 years or first posting want to change colours would they be at all inclined to let me?

You MAY be able to change uniforms, but it MAY come out of your pocket to do so. I don't have the message in front of me, but there's a CANFORGEN on the subject from several years ago. Perhaps some enterprising soul can post the relevant part.

Back