• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Survival kits

Eye In The Sky said:
I've had no problem with mine;  I've 'tested it' with lake water.  They're fairly durable, for the construction, I find.  I had one that went in my "evasion" pack on 3 ROTOs of IMPACT and it didn't crack.  I didn't switch to the metal case when they came out with that model.

I first saw it on an episode of Survivorman;  he was using it to drink water from a pond/Stillwater source that had runoff from a sheep pasture and he was fine.  I bought one almost immediately.  lol

Awesome, thanks!

I used to watch Survivorman frequently, but haven’t in a while. I haven’t ever known him to (help) endorse any product that was faulty or of poor quality, so that’s great.

I’m not into a hardcore survivalist lifestyle or anything like that, but over recent years have been increasingly interested in learning how to live off the land and making sure I have some key supplies if it ever came down to it. My son and I love camping and we both have a (mis)adventurous streak running through our veins. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that we’d need to depend on some emergency supplies at some point. Plus, it’s nice just having certain things for plain ole enjoying-the-outdoors anyway.

The Coleman classic burner you listed in your other post is great. My brother gave me his slightly used one and I love it. Along with my Lifestraw is just a simple small/compact set of metal dish and cooking ware, since what I had was in pretty rough shape.

Just picked up a couple LifeStraws and some Katadyn Micropur MP1 tablets.

I do about 40km/week on foot...once things normalize a bit, I plan to up my mileage/intensity and will probably try them out in the wild.

reverse_engineer said:

I do about 40km/week on foot...once things normalize a bit, I plan to up my mileage/intensity and will probably try them out in the wild.

This is a good description of some of the limitations of a LifeStraw: https://snarkynomad.com/the-one-problem-no-lifestraw-review-ever-mentions/

daftandbarmy said:
This is a good description of some of the limitations of a LifeStraw: https://snarkynomad.com/the-one-problem-no-lifestraw-review-ever-mentions/

Thanks for sharing that. Lots of good points and some other interesting options given.

I think it will ultimately come down to source selection. I'm only going to use mine domestically, and won't be using it on stagnant water or dirty puddles etc. I think no matter what tools I have on hand, I will still try to select the best water source I can.

I now keep about 200L of reverse-osmosis water at any given time, but that won't help me if I have to leave in a hurry or on foot.  ;D

reverse_engineer said:

For anything more than a couple of days, I'd go with a Katadyn Pocket, if you can find one these days. I'd sacrifice the weight for the performance any time. Power to weight ratio, as it were.

Target Up said:
For anything more than a couple of days, I'd go with a Katadyn Pocket, if you can find one these days. I'd sacrifice the weight for the performance any time. Power to weight ratio, as it were.

I'm not sure if they've discontinued it, as they seem often unavailable/backordered. A bit pricy but looks solid.

Also, on the emergency comms side: while still not sold on SATCOM, I did find out a bit about amateur satellite radio which I didn't realize was such a thing. I think the organization that runs it all is called AMSAT. Might be worth a look to those who are interested, but don't have their own cage full of Harris radios to play with.

Thread made me relook at my camping gear and look for ways to reduce weight, add what I am missing and get rid of what I don’t need.
This is what I use for over night 3 days-1 week

20200604-184119.jpg

Myster Ranch SATL 3-Day assault pack; 57L capacity (might go back to a full-sized rucksack)

Sleeping:
Snugpak Merlin 3 sleeping bag (+5C/0C)
Snugpak Jungle Blanket
Bivy bag
Thermarest Z Lite Sleeping pad (may switch to an inflatable)
First aid kit has a solar blanket for emergencies

Shelter:
Snugpak Ionosphere 1-person tent; or
Snugpak Jungle hammock and tarp

Nav:
Silva Ranger compass (mils)
Garmin 401 GPS or 450T Oregeon
paper map and roadmap

Environmental:
Arcteryx Alpha 1 rain suit
Arteryx toque & Mechanix gloves
Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody
Thermals
Lowa Renegade GTX or Lowa Tibet (want to pick up Lowa Ranger IIIs)
Change of clothes as required

Water:
Nalgene 32oz bottle and canteen cup
MSR Dromedary Water Bag – 4L or 6L
Life Straw
Katadyn Micropur water purification tablets (30x)

Cooking:
Jet Boil, 2 canisters
Sea to Summit Alpha KFS set

Light:

Petzel tactical headlamp
Petzel e+ lite backup headlamp
Surefire torch
Microlight.
Glowsticks.

Tools:
SOG Fusion Tomahawk
Esee CM 6 anti-tank knife.
Gerber multiplier
SOG Pent Arc folder

Electronics:
Garmin Vevo active watch
Spare Cellphone, 2nd battery (loaded with outdoor aps plus kids games aps)
Power monkey solar charger  (get about 2 charges out of a full charge, might upgrade to a bigger solar panel)
Slim USB battery (get 3 phone charges out of it)

Firstaid:

SOF-T tourniquet
Phokus Shield (pocket)trauma kit
Scaled down first aid kit

Food:
varies

MISC:

Scaled down material repair kit (inc electrical and duct tape)
Small firestarting kit
Toilet paper and wetwipes (cause I'm a princess)
Ultralight micro-towel (read something somewhere about never traveling without one)
Scaled down hygiene kit
Spare batteries
Camp shoes or sandles

Nice list, thanks for sharing.

I've also got a couple pairs of Lowas, but looking to try something new. I've heard a few people mention that they like AKU, but haven't tried them myself. Anything besides Lowa you can suggest, Jarnhamar?

With everything going on in the world, I'm considering picking up something like a used 4Runner that would be essentially ready to go, and just leaving the other vehicles behind. Don't really want to be here when a mob of Antifa comes to "fight for social justice" by stealing or burning all my stuff.

I've only wore Lowas and Rockeys for the last 11 years. Big fan of Rockeys (s2v) but their quality has slipped a bit over the last little while. I'd still try them out.

I think I still have one of my tan S2V pairs leftover from a deployment, thanks for the idea. Yeah, always liked them. Definitely pissed off a couple Sgt Maj when I first started wearing those a decade ago or so. Good times.

I find the leather s2v quite a bit better than the tan desert ones (had multiple pairs of both). I almost had 2 pairs of tan and 2 pairs of black thanks to a kind hearted pte supply tech (after fighting with clothing for 8 years) but the dude got shut down and I was only able to get 2 pair of coyote brown ones.

Why are you spending all this money? All you need to survive is some cuffed jeans, unused grebe kodiacs, a flannel shirt and a flourishing beard\man bun combo. Throw in a pocketful of metro tokens and a Starbucks card and the only ones left standing when it’s all over will be the rats, the cockroaches, tow truck operators, and you.

Jarnhamar said:
Thread made me relook at my camping gear and look for ways to reduce weight, add what I am missing and get rid of what I don’t need.

If you want to reduce weight, start with your backpack. The mystery ranch is a great pack, I have one myself but it is heavy compared to a lot of civilian packs. Now it is heavy because it is super durable but if you are going camping you normally your pack is not abused like it would be in the field with the military.

dangerboy said:
If you want to reduce weight, start with your backpack. The mystery ranch is a great pack, I have one myself but it is heavy compared to a lot of civilian packs. Now it is heavy because it is super durable but if you are going camping you normally your pack is not abused like it would be in the field with the military.

I have an Alice pack, but I made a frame for it out of sch 40 PVC pipe. Weighs nothing.

Jarnhamar said:

20200604-184119.jpg

Nice kit list man.

What are your thoughts on the MSR Dromedary? 

Thought I'd post my 'tool collection'.

1st pic, my go-to knife;  KA-BAR BK2.  1/4" thick, this is a tank of a knife at 1lb.  I did some mods to the knife and sheaths.

- stripped coating off the entire knife, and then cold-blued it.  I do a paracord wrap on the handle, using this video from Equip 2 Endure.  Snake knot short lanyard.

Sheaths, L to R. 

- First one if the standard sheath, added a firesteel holder from Ebay, and a Bunker Junior (1/2' x 4") from Firesteel and some thin shockcord to hold the steel in place.  I put a old bankcard in the upper fabric portion of the sheath for a stiffener, removed the standard snap faster and replaced it with an Velcro iceace holder from MEC.  Great knife, crappy sheath.

- Second one, standard purchase polyester sheath from KABAR.  Removed the snap fastener/replace with MEC iceaxe holder again.  Added a Lansky Blade Medic, a magnesium/striker bar, and an allen key.  This was my deployment knife for Iraq/Syria and I got the sheath because of the MOLLE.

- 3rd sheath. I bought a used BK2 sheath of Ebay, added a firesteel and holder, a Tek-lok and the ESEE survival tin/pouch kit.  I've never finished it with 'stuff in the tin' yet, but this sheath was made for putting on backpack waiststraps/belts.

I've got quite a bit of money invested in this knife now, and it accompanied me on every trip into Iraq and Syria I did...doubt I'll ever part with it.  Every spring, I strip it down, re-blue it.

2nd Pic

L to R.

M-12 bayonet.  I bought this for no other reason than I wanted it.  My wife asked me "what are you doing with that??" and all I could think of was "maybe I'll need a spear someday?".

KA-BAR Kukri machete;  stripped the coating off and cold-blued this too.  3-in-1 oil is all I use on this and the BK2. 

CRKT Chogan tomahawk;  added a Kydex sheath from Ebay with some shockcord to hold it on, MEC iceaxe holder and did a paracord wrap/lanyard.  I love this but haven't used it much at all, I'm beating up a Gerber Sport-axe II still that doesn't seem to want to quit.

Attachments

• BK2.JPG
    BK2.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Bayonet, Kukri and Chogan.jpg
    Bayonet, Kukri and Chogan.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 73
Target Up said:
Why are you spending all this money? All you need to survive is some cuffed jeans, unused grebe kodiacs, a flannel shirt and a flourishing beard\man bun combo. Throw in a pocketful of metro tokens and a Starbucks card and the only ones left standing when it’s all over will be the rats, the cockroaches, tow truck operators, and you.

Oh, you mean like 80% of the people who go hiking on the North Shore in Vancouver? I've seen people back there in flip flops... 'SAR Bait' as we call them :)

‘Hundreds’ of hikers not prepared for snow, North Shore Rescue warns

https://www.nsnews.com/news/hundreds-of-hikers-not-prepared-for-snow-north-shore-rescue-warns-1.24148784

The weekend before this incident happened I climbed Mt Arrowsmith and know exactly where this incident took place. During my climb I saw alot of people in running shoes and t-shirts. Me? The full meal deal with boots, crampons, ice axe and the rest, and was glad I hauled it all up there too....

Seriously injured climber rescued from below summit of Mount Arrowsmith

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/seriously-injured-climber-rescued-from-below-summit-of-mount-arrowsmith-1.24148375

[quote author=Eye In The Sky]
Nice kit list man.

What are your thoughts on the MSR Dromedary?
[/quote]

It's not bad. I usually only bring it if I'm setting up a camp or generally staying in the same place. I find water pumps take forever so the Dromedary's good if you want to build up a supply. It's pretty durable too.

I'm going to take the handles off my Esse knife and run grip-tape down the spine.

Nice tools, EITS.

I'm looking to pick up a well-made folding shovel/entrenching tool. Looked at a few but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Anyone have one that they'd suggest?

Thanks.

Back