• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tac Vest does not make the grade.

Overall IMHO and that of others who have used this new stuff. The Australian Project Land 125 webbing is a poor preformer, hence why Aussies use aftermarket kit wherever they go, at home or abroad. It is tolerated by Unit hiarchary mostly.

Its all about flexibility and having the right stuff for the job. Seems its always the lowest bidder who gets the contract in everything from webbing to boots and beyond.

I rest my case.

Seems its always the lowest bidder who gets the contract in everything from webbing to boots and beyond

Where did I hear that line before ???

With out a doubt MOLLE/PALS is the way to go, but I still have my 64 stuff & have used it for 30 years and the velcro has never failed (as Overwatch stated pounce its on leave it) and it does not slide around when the belt is full, it has nowhere to go. The only thing I hated about it is the yoke, at least they got that right on the 82 pat.

Yes it's a crappy grenade pouch, I still have no idea what the extra attachment on the bottom is for,  but it made an excellent 1st Aid pouch.

The 82 ruck is absolute crap compared to a 64 ruck.

My primary weapon was a SMG and I used 51 Bren gun pouches to carry mags. When I wasn't carring that I had a C2 (and used same 51 pouches) there were zero C1s in a Recce Troop (7 50s, 7 GPMGs, 7 C2s, 21 SMGs, & 3 Carl Gs).

MOLLE is it now days when I go to the woods I carry a combination of MOLLE, ALICE, & PLCE.

Recon 3690

I do not recall any velcro on my old 64 pattern webbing.  The 74 Pattern Webbing was all velcro and required gun tape to keep from falling apart.  The 85 Pattern was a great improvement over this, but still not as rugged as the 64 pattern, although the yoke was by far a quantum leap forward in comfort and load bearing, over both the 64 and 74 Patterns.

No Teeps we had no Javelins just Carl Gs for killing Armour

George I think your thinking 51 pat cotton duck web material (pretty much the same as 37 pat only green), 64 pat coated canvas with velcro, 82 pat crappy 400 denier nylon with velcro, plastic clips, & 4" web belt. then came 99 pat (or CADPAT)

Yer right, George should know... He's old enough to remember a time when a Centurion was a rank, not a tank...

:D

/Pop smoke!

Hand held shoulder controled gas operated magazine fed semi automatic rifle CAF designaion FN C1A1

(as an aside) I just put a few hundred rounds through a beautiful C1 just before the Christmas Holidays... Gods I love that weapon. I was like a school boy again... Running back and forth on the mound to reload the one mag we have for it.

I swear I am better with it then I am with a C7... And I think I am a surgeon with a C7 (just not kneeling for some reason).

George Wallace said:
Recon 3690

I do not recall any velcro on my old 64 pattern webbing.  The 74 Pattern Webbing was all velcro and required gun tape to keep from falling apart.  The 85 Pattern was a great improvement over this, but still not as rugged as the 64 pattern, although the yoke was by far a quantum leap forward in comfort and load bearing, over both the 64 and 74 Patterns.

I do not recall any 74 or 85 Pattern webbing. There was, when I joined in 1973, 51 Pattern, which combined the worst aspects of the British 37 Pattern and US webbing, and 64 Pattern webbing.

The former had grommets on a belt, steer-horn hooks to attach pouches to the belt, brass buckles, and was otherwise all cotton. It was only issued to the Militia at that time. The regular force were issued 64 Pattern webbing, which was very lightweight and minimalist. It had plastic buckles and everything attached with Velcro. Aside from its tendency to fall apart, it had no magazine pouches as magazines were to be carried in shirt pockets.

It was succeeded by 82 Pattern webbing, which was in turn succeeded by the Tac Vest.

Loachman said:
I do not recall any 74 or 85 Pattern webbing. There was, when I joined in 1973, 51 Pattern, which combined the worst aspects of the British 37 Pattern and US webbing, and 64 Pattern webbing.

'Tis my mistake.  I keep getting the dates screwed up, if I don't deal with them more often.  In '70 I had the 51 Pattern.  In '74-'75 I had the 64 Pattern and by mid '80s the '82 Pattern.......Depending on luck of the draw on when issued kit, one sometimes remembers details in sync with other details. 

The Tac Vest was at the time a very welcome replacement for the webbing.

Back