• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tac Vest does not make the grade.

As a Combat Engineer I find the tac vest sucks even for domestic operations.......

Gets in the way for operating heavy equipment.

len173 said:
Just curious, are they looking to replace the tac vest completely (eventually)? Or are they simply looking for a modular system for the TF's in the sandbox?

I've heard guys say that the tac vest is fine for domestic stuff, but not operations. But shouldn't you train with the gear you will deploy with?

The idea is to buy 2 (maybe 3) Battlegroup/Task Force's worth of stuff so the guys overseas have something to use, and those in the workup pipeline have the same kit that's being used overseas, with some extras being purchased as spares for if/when the rigs in use become damaged/destroyed/worn out.

For folks back in Canada not in the deployment cycle, it'll be the tac vest as per the current situation. (depending of course on unit SOPs and dress regs)

Seems like this would fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=CR_MSCR&Category_Code=CR-TAG

almost 200 hundred dollars for a base rig? That is pretty hard to swallow. :-X

Farmboy said:
Seems like this would fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=CR_MSCR&Category_Code=CR-TAG

Farmboy,

Did your company take part in the above mentioned working group?  Do you know if that TAG rig you linked to was submitted for the trail?

I'm curious to hear any feedback you've received from soldiers you've sold those rigs to and who've taken them overseas.

I would not buy that rig....three reasons:

Don't like the center fasteners or the profile of the shoulder snaps and limited coverage.

My preference remains with thew SORD SCS...used for one year with out problems. :salute:

Farmboy,

Did your company take part in the above mentioned working group?  Do you know if that TAG rig you linked to was submitted for the trail?

I'm curious to hear any feedback you've received from soldiers you've sold those rigs to and who've taken them overseas.

From what I understand, a couple of CF members submitted some of the gear I carry for the working group(not the split rig above though), but I was never asked for anything by anyone, or able to find out how to submit anything myself.

I did receive a request for quote on one of the items submitted,  but it far exceeded the price point they wanted/needed to hit.

I haven't had any feedback on this rig yet, however it was created from feedback of guys who used the fixed pouch, split chest rig.  They wanted the same platform but in MOLLE.

There is a new CANLANDGEN out on kit which specifically addresses the TacVest (among other issues),

DIN/DWAN link: http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/CLS/143000440001594/00909_E_1_.PDF

Read the entire document as there is important context.  However, the following para will be of interest:

7. THE FIRST TRIAL VESTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE ISSUED FOR USE BY TF
1-10. SOLDIERS OF TF 1-09 AND TF 3-09 WILL CONTINUE TO WEAR THE
IN-SERVICE TACTICAL VEST, BUT AS AN INTERIM MEASURE DURING HIGH
READINESS TRAINING OR INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS, THE DEPLOYING
BRIGADE OR TASK FORCE COMMANDER MAY APPROVE THE WEARING OF TACTICAL
VESTS AND POUCHES THAT HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN APPROVED FOR TRIAL USE
FROM THE FOLLOWING COMPANIES:
A. ARKTIS
B. BLACKHAWK
C. EAGLE
D. FELLFAB
E. HIGHSPEED GEAR
F. PACIFIC SAFETY PRODUCTS
G. TACTICAL TAILOR

Wow.... a common sense solution! Now as long as the BDE and TF Commanders are on board with giving the troops the tools they need to do the job, we may have solved the problem! I know Roto 4 didn't have the support of the Commander in that respect.

dapaterson said:
There is a new CANLANDGEN out on kit which specifically addresses the TacVest (among other issues),

DIN/DWAN link: http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/CLS/143000440001594/00909_E_1_.PDF

Read the entire document as there is important context.  However, the following para will be of interest:

Could someone post a link to a non-DWAN/DIN hosted copy of that pdf?  i.e. save a copy and put it up as an attachment?

Matt_Fisher said:
Could someone post a link to a non-DWAN/DIN hosted copy of that pdf?  i.e. save a copy and put it up as an attachment?
Fixed to have the right attachment

Seems like theres going to be a fair bit of new kit coming our way, good stuff.

Also the CF wide approval for Civvie gear companies is pretty good, hopefully the Commanders support it. Kinda surprised CP Gear isn't listed though.

-Skeletor- said:
Also the CF wide approval for Civvie gear companies is pretty good, hopefully the Commanders support it. Kinda surprised CP Gear isn't listed though.

Were can I find said list?  I just want to stur the pot a bit more with the issued kit only crowd  ::) (I find them everywhere here  ::))

NL_engineer said:
Were can I find said list?  I just want to stur the pot a bit more with the issued kit only crowd  ::) (I find them everywhere here  ::))

About 3 posts above you is a PDF link you can download and print to your hearts content.

NFLD Sapper told me using other means, I decided not to look, as at that point in the day it took me 25 min to open the page (at least now my connection speed is good).

There are some great systems in this list but my question is that if the money is going to come thru Public Works and Government Services Canada for them is that not going to limit it to the systems that have Canadian content. CPGear and FellFab have Canadian content in them, hell there made in Canada, but I just cant see the Canadian content in SORD, TT, Esstac and High Speed Gear.

It's all justification. If the only place we can get the gear that fits all the requirements is American, than thats what gets bought.

PuckChaser said:
It's all justification. If the only place we can get the gear that fits all the requirements is American, than thats what gets bought.

Okay... so WHY haven't we gone with US kit which has been tried, tested, and true for over 10,000+ servicemen/women?

Instead we're trying AUS kit that's only been tested and tried and true for a few thousand?

Well for this trial they did test US kit, as well as Canadian and Aussie stuff. The jury liked the SORD system, but also selected 2 US models. I personally believe it all depends on the will of whoever draws up the requirements to go through the redtape of buying foreign equipment. Most don't think its worth it, so they just do up the quick forms and buy inferior Canadian stuff that the troops hate.

PuckChaser said:
Well for this trial they did test US kit, as well as Canadian and Aussie stuff. The jury liked the SORD system, but also selected 2 US models. I personally believe it all depends on the will of whoever draws up the requirements to go through the redtape of buying foreign equipment. Most don't think its worth it, so they just do up the quick forms and buy inferior Canadian stuff that the troops hate.

I'd suggest you stay in your lanes - your knowledge of procurement is very, very limited, and your attacks against those who work in the field are not called for.

Back