• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The 2008 Canadian Election- Merged Thread

Just got back from voting; luckily did not have any of the problems old sweat mentioned in his post.  The voting station had lots of signs and the staff working there were friendly and able to knew how to handle all the little problems that crept up while I was waiting.  Now the wait begins for the results.

Well...on a non-serious side of the Federal Election...I just watched the CBC pre-election coverage with The Rick Mercer Report and This Hour Has 22 Minutes and...I laughed harder than I have in a long time.  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
Well...on a non-serious side of the Federal Election...I just watched the CBC pre-election coverage with The Rick Mercer Report and This Hour Has 22 Minutes and...I laughed harder than I have in a long time.   ;D

Agreed! The skit with Elizabeth May was hysterical!  ;D

Celticgirl said:
Agreed! The skit with Elizabeth May was hysterical!  ;D

Ya!  I LOLd at that one too!  My sides are sore, and not just from X amounts of crunches and leg raises today!

Rex is talkin' on CBC now and I can NOT keep a straight face!

Just got barred from an PEI website becasue of the election blackout.

Overwatch Downunder said:
Well, like you said in less than 4 hrs we'll all know.

Eastern Canada, particularily Ontario and Quebec have always decided the fate of all elections, and the west as usual gets the shaft IMHO anyways  ;D

Do they still have that blackout??

OWDU

Although I'm not holding my breath, it's just possible that the Torries will garner enough seats in the centre and east to make the votes in the west count this time.

If you have time swiching channels through your cable provider or Star Choice/Bell, the CTV national election coverage on ATC is showing 7 elected now. (I am in BC)

Well, the good news is that Elizabeth May just conceded, live, on air on CBC radio.

Defence Minister McKay increased his vote share so the Liberal stunt to not run a candidate against May backfired.

tomahawk6 said:
Looks like the Conservatives have won. :)

I'll say they 'won' when they get a majority (fingers crossed). I don't think I could stand another minority government having to pander to the whims of the other parties.

The Conservatives seem to have lost Quebec (IMHO, who cares, but they need those seats to form a majority) but have made some pretty good gains in Ontario.

Just read this:
In one major loss for the Liberals, Garth Turner was defeated by Conservative candidate Lisa Raitt.

;D

Link

tomahawk6 said:
Can you say Majority Government ? :)

Probably not.  :'(

It is shaping up as:

BQ: 50-55
Cons: 140-150 – stronger minority  :cdnsalute:
Greens: 0  :D
Libs: 75 to 85
NDP: 30-35
Inds:  2 or 3

Nope retained his seat..by a vast majority....From downtown hippy/immigrant/not really Canadian (IE: Radical Islam) population

Elizabeth May however got her BUTT whipped!!! Going back to herforrest to meditate on why she really isn't a leader or a party

Gooooo CONSERVATIVES! Well, you know who I voted for (and everyone I know) :eek: Here's to a group effort in DT Vancouver :D

Watching the counters avidly on CBC atm :)

BulletMagnet said:
Nope retained his seat..by a vast majority....From downtown hippy/immigrant/not really Canadian (IE: Radical Islam) population

Dangerous undercurrent to that, mate... "Not really Canadian"?  Folks who fled their homeland, chose Canada, and had to make an effort to become citizens, vice the many slack and idle do-nothings born into citizenship with no understanding of its value?  I know my first choice as "Canadians".

Back