• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CFS Alert Merged Thread

From what i heard from my buddies, the GD duty is like burning garbage ,shoveling and kitchen duty. I might be wrong though. Still ,it might be good experience, just sounds like getting extras!!!!!!

I put my name in one day (for GD), and my boss turned it down, saying that it would be a loss of time (career wise) to go there (i'm a tradesman). Finaly ,even if we had lots of people availlable at the troop ,the highers turned the tasking down..

Honestyrules..

If you enjoy isolation, reading, (good food, at least I thought so...), a close-knit relationship with the lepalm twins, then go for it. I did a tour in '79 as a GD. Had a great time, spent off duty hours on the radio (amateur) with the Comm Rsch guys hamming it up (call sign V02HV). The work is regular, repetitious, at times a bit hairy depending on the time of year, but if you go in the summer you get to see a bit  of nature (gigantic arctic hares). The experience is great, I really enjoyed it, would do it again in a heartbeat.

Damn now I wanna do it!

*mumbles curses at school*

At first people think you're nuts for wanting to go to Alert, but I guess it's just one of those things that not many people get to do.

Had an outstanding summer in support of CFS Alert called, "OP HURRICANE" located south of Alert.

I was a GD Knight and we had an awesome summer.Worked hard and long but was it an awesome experience.

Visited Alert on a couple occasions as well as Thule/Iqualit/Lake Hazen during the tour.

Made life-long friends, flew in a Twotter, Buffalo, Griffon (427 Tac Hel) and Herc. For a fishhead like myself this was best. Plus great fishing!!

"North Side sucks" (u would have to be a North of 80er tounderstand that one)

'79..............holy crap.......That was a while ago........don't worry.......nothing is the same now.  I was there in '98-'99, and well, it is what it is.  You will never fully appreciate Alert until you spend some time there.........that's about all I can say.

Hey Gang!  Ive gone through the search feature and couldn't find what I was looking for.  I want to know, from anyone who's been there, what small items would be usefull in Alert.  I don't need a kit list or a link to the station site and joining instructions.  I have those.  I want to know what you found to be invaluable while there.  I am going in Apr for my SLTA and then back for my Att posting in May as Chipper.  Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

used-to-be-EGS said:
The Alert tour is up to 6 months, with a possible voluntary 3 month extension.   When I was up there, the GD positions were for Reg Force combat arms trades (ie. an arty and armoured pers).   There were approx 60 pers there, but I don't think any reservists.   They are always hurting for people to go up there, so that must be why they have opened it up to the reserves.  
It's not too bad of a go.........I was there in total darkness, and that can play strange games on the mind, but overall, it could have been worse.   It's a small, close-knit bunch up there, and you develop a real sense of family during your tour.   That being said, it was a good experience, but I would not like to go back up there anytime soon.   Hey, at least you get an LTA now.

:cdn:

We just sent 4 people up there for GD from our unit and we are CSS.  We send quite a few Ptes up there every year.  Is the LTA (Leave Travel Assistance) the same as Canadian LTA or is it similar to HLTA for deployed pers?

Never been there, but i heard that it's pretty dry there (heating on 24/7). A small humidifier is a must for your room (it's from a medic on base who went there twice)!!!

Hope it helps a bit

Bring a good camera!  My father was stationed up there for 4 months a while back and there are a lot of cool sites up there.  There's also a lot of caribou, foxes and other little critters running around.

delavan said:
Never been there, but i heard that it's pretty dry there (heating on 24/7). A small humidifier is a must for your room (it's from a medic on base who went there twice)!!!

Hope it helps a bit
They have humidifiers in each room, so don't bother taking one.  As far as a camera goes, it would be a good idea, but there are many things you can't take pictures of.....you'll find out on you in-brief.  As far as wildlife goes, expect foxes and hares, maybe the occasional wolf or even a polar bear, but it's too far north for most creatures, including caribbou.
Chipper is a good job up there, hell, any job is a good job up there.  I can't really think of anything special to take up, if you want something afterwards, have it sent up CMTT.  The extra liver idea was a good one....and get used to drinking out of cans (no beer bottles up there).

I might be going up in a few weeks.  It was explained to me an LTA of 3 weeks separates
two 3 month terms of a 6 month tour.

is Alert open to just reg force / comms or can a reservist (armoured recce) apply for general duty slots?

I know they have at least one Cpl/MCpl loadie position.  The traffic tech when I was up there requested a 3 month extension (I guess life was good for him up there), and got it. 

when I was in Eureka (OP Hurricane 99) we had two traffic techs.

Symchyshyn said:
is Alert open to just reg force / comms or can a reservist (armoured recce) apply for general duty slots?

More and more reserve pers are getting it from all trades.

Radop said:
More and more reserve pers are getting it from all trades.
That's because the reg force guys are sick of doing up 5 tours up there, the numbers just aren't there.

Back