• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The choice for GOV GEN.

sjm said:
I like the lottery idea.

Besides can she really be such a bad person, afterall she does wear the Order of Canada (and a CD).

Wait a minute, didn't Al Eagleson wear the Order of Canada?

Hitler wore the Iron Cross First Class, does that make the Red Baron any less of a pilot?

Blakey said:
I never knew Hitler could fly.

I never knew Alan Eagleson was the Governor General. 

We could do this all day, so if you have a point to make, why not just make it without the sarcasm?

lahr_brat said:
However, I also feel that she does not properly represent Canadian society as a whole.  

Do you mean that Adrienne Clarkson is more representative than Jean? I don't think so.

As for reprensentativity, would a mid-class person from Winnipeg or, let's say, Windsor, would be more representative?? Anyway, is the GG not supposed to represent the Queen herself? Come on, look at your history books.

lahr_brat said:
In my opinion, the pre-requisites and qualifications for the position, or standards if you will, are being diminished to "buy" more votes for the big red Liberal machine.    

Do you mean that we, people of Quebec, are so easily lured by such things? How would such an appointment translate in votes? I do think that the PMO thinks it would, but I don't, as many others. And, I don't think this would bind Quebec to Canada in a deeper way. There's much more to do, but it would be too risky for the PM to begin. In the meantime, he goes on with the disunity of Canada by signing piecemeal deals with any province that needs cash...

Why do we need an appointment that is representative of Canadians?  Which other countries are sufficiently insecure in their identity to require a multicultural figurehead, with or without real political power?

The CGG makes no decisions at a political level, her speeches come from the PMO, she is in every
sense of the word, a "figurehead". There has been talk about abolishing the office, but that will
not happen. There should be a requirement however for the PM, every MP, bureaucrat, political
appointee, senators, political flunkies, all municipal and provincial employees, judges, magistrates
etc.,  a requirement for an Oath of Allegiance to Canada - used to be "the Dominion of Canada"
not the Queen, but to Canada, ie "I pledge allegiance to Canada, and all its Provinces, lands
and Territories, etc." or something like that. If you are one of the political chosen or annointed
you either provide the solemn oath, or depart. Problems with such an mandatory activity? many
- (the PQ would balk and act enraged, but they are, after all, Canadian MP's). Sovereignty for
Quebec? only popular in elitist, academic circles - technology and aerospace people we deal with
just laugh when a seperate "country" is mentioned - who would finance Bombardier? only the
tooth fairy. MacLeod

Acorn said:
De Chastelain an immigrant? Not because he was born in Romania. Frum always has a tendency to overstate things.

Acorn

???  What does this mean???  His father was Scottish, his mother American and they immigrated to Canada when he was 18.

Not a separatist -- just unqualified

So she's not a separatist, and has never belonged to a political party. Bully for her. Was she a separatist in the past, even if she did not actually join the party? Does she renounce her past statements, and those of her husband? For that matter, will she renounce her French citizenship?

How far our expectations have sunk. Because she's not currently working to bring about the destruction of the country, that makes her an appropriate choice for Governor General? She drinks toasts with the founder of the FLQ, her husband hangs around with Pierre Laporte's murderers, she's supposed to represent the Queen as a citizen of the French Republic, and she's known outside Quebec, if at all, as the presenter of hysterically anti-American documentaries on Newsworld.

She has no record of service to the country, no outstanding accomplishments to her name, no specialized knowledge of law, politics or the constitution. In a crisis, what credibility would she have? If the minority government were to attempt to rule without the confidence of the House -- again -- would anyone listen to her opinion on the matter? If the country were to be plunged into the constitutional void of a unilateral secession bid, would Canadians rally to her side -- whichever side that was?

This isn't a sales clerk we're hiring. This is supposed to be the position of supreme honour and prestige in the country, one with important symbolic and substantive roles. It should be filled by titans, revered national icons, whose love of country is reflected in the love their country has for them.

In this, of all nations, does it make sense to choose as the focus of allegiance a dual citizen whose views on Quebec's place in Canada are at best uncertain? At this, of all times, is it not a requirement of the job that its occupant be able to command the unswerving respect and loyalty of Canadians?
  http://andrewcoyne.com/2005/08/not-separatist-just-unqualified.php

I_am_John_Galt said:
???   What does this mean???   His father was Scottish, his mother American and they immigrated to Canada when he was 18.

Frum's piece never mentioned his parentage, just that he was born in Romania. Despite the oddity of his name, that would imply he was Romanian, rather than another scion of the "Empire's Establishment" (his Scottish father was a British diplomat IIRC). Frum overstated (well, actually, it was a non-sequitur) the status of Prince John.

From the Heritage Canada web page for the GG Designate:

http://canadianheritage.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/ggd/declaration_e.cfm

Statement
August 17, 2005

By Michaëlle Jean
Governor General Designate

"I am deeply touched and wish to thank all those who have so warmly greeted the news of my recent nomination to the office of Governor General of Canada. Others have questioned my attachment to Canada and that of my husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond.

I want to tell you unequivocally that both he and I are proud to be Canadians and that we have the greatest respect for the institutions of our country. We are fully committed to Canada. I would not have accepted this position otherwise.

We are equally proud of the attachment to Quebec that we have always shown beyond any partisan considerations. Let me be clear: we have never belonged to a political party or the separatist movement.

The values of respect, tolerance and openness are very precious to all of us, and I look forward to meeting Canadians in every part of the country. "

Have at 'er.....

General deChastelain's name denotes the links between the highland Scots and France, dating
back to the House of Stuart (Charles, Bonnie Prince Charlie). His mother was indeed Romanian
and a member of the famed British Special Operations Executive in WWII. History Television.ca
did an hour program on the deChastelain family several years ago, which appears on the network
from time to time. Col Ian Fraser, formerly CO RCR and a close friend of the General, as well as
director of the Nova Scotia International Tattoo, actually featured the General when he was
CDS playing the traditional lament, "The Flowers of the Forest" on his bagpipe - he is a pretty
good piper by the way. Would have made an excellent CGG, but the choice has been made
MacLeod

jmacleod said:
Col Ian Fraser, formerly CO RCR and a close friend of the General, as well as
director of the Nova Scotia International Tattoo, actually featured the General when he was
CDS playing the traditional lament, "The Flowers of the Forest" on his bagpipe - he is a pretty
good piper by the way. Would have made an excellent CGG, but the choice has been made
MacLeod

The Calgary Highlanders taught him well.  When we were presented our Queen's Colour by Her Majesty in 1990, Gen deChastelain played on parade - right behind me, as a matter of fact - with the Regimental Pipes and Drums.  I was frankly surprised at his skill, he was indeed a good piper as I recall.  His military career had begun in our regimental pipe band decades ago.

Acorn said:
Frum's piece never mentioned his parentage, just that he was born in Romania. Despite the oddity of his name, that would imply he was Romanian, rather than another scion of the "Empire's Establishment" (his Scottish father was a British diplomat IIRC). Frum overstated (well, actually, it was a non-sequitur) the status of Prince John.

An immigrant from the Empire is an immigrant, just as an immigrant from anywhere else is: what am I missing?  The only non-sequitur is the suggestion (which I think Frum is reacting to, rather than making) that it in any way relates to being a qualification!

I support Jean even though it is surprising she was nominated. It is a sign of the disconnect between the parts of this country that no one out side Quebec has heard of her. Its the same as if Loyd Robertson or Peter Mansbridge was appointed, Quebec would ask who? As for her French passport it may just open doors for Canada in Europe.

General De Chastelain is busy with his current job disarming terrorists and thugs. He could be appointed next time.

I_am_John_Galt said:
An immigrant from the Empire is an immigrant, just as an immigrant from anywhere else is: what am I missing?    The only non-sequitur is the suggestion (which I think Frum is reacting to, rather than making) that it in any way relates to being a qualification!

Well, what you're missing is that he wasn't "just as an immigrant from anywhere else" particularly a place like Haiti. Check out what the rules for immigration were back when he came to Canada:  hint - a British passport was better than a Haitian or Romanian one.

In any case, whatever his musical or political accomplishments, and his apparent qualifications to be GG, to compare him with Ms. Jean is just bizarre. I understand the point Frum was trying to make. I just think it was a terrible analogy. Of course, my impression is likely coloured by my dislike of Frum's politics.

Acorn

The Conservative Party appear to be making the appointment of the new GGC a personal issue,
rather than a political issue. Michael Harris writing in the Ottawa Sun today 20 August, states the
obvious from a "political perspective", which is exactly my conclusion some posts ago. Harper should
leave the issue alone, but if he persists, then focus on what is a typical Liberal Party decision, supported
by the current Liberal government; a totally partisan, political decision designed to obtain more votes
in a national election - I hate to say this in relation to Canadian politics, but the phrase "who dares,
wins" is very appropriate in the selection and choice of the new CGG. The lady will perform well, and
attract a lot of national and international media attention once she shows up on the CGG's circuit
- she will make quite a hit at, for instance, a Commonwealth Conference, or the upcoming Francophone
Summit, or visiting Canadian troops at home and abroad, plus a lot of American citizens are going to
be impressed with the appointment. MacLeod

The Conservative Party appear to be making the appointment of the new GGC a personal issue,
rather than a political issue. Michael Harris writing in the Ottawa Sun today 20 August, states the
obvious from a "political perspective", which is exactly my conclusion some posts ago. Harper should
leave the issue alone,

Wasn't it the New Left and their revolutionary cohorts (the kind that Jean and her husband chummed around with) who dreamed up the slogan that "the personal is political." I'm not sure what's "obvious" about this from a political perspective - except the obvious double standard applied to Harper that he is somehow making this "personal" - one can only imagine the outrage if the Liberals discovered a video that showing Harper had attended a cocktail party with members of Western Canada Concept and toasted Albertan indepedence - (he still hasn't escaped the "firewall" comment).   But Ms. Jean's consorting with FLQ terrorists is somehow dismissed as a charming youthful indiscretion. I wonder how Pierre Laporte's family feels about it. If this is the best we can do for GG give me Romeo Leblanc back.

Cheers,
mdh

I whole heartedly agree with Andrew Coyne's article.

Even if Mme. Jean and her husband was not seperatist sympathiser, and even if she did not hold French citizenship, she is still an inappropriate choice for Governor General.  She does not have the gravitas or knowledge that the position demands, nor is she widely known outside of Quebec.  I wonder if she could stand up to Dithers if he tried to circumvent the Constitution?  I doubt it.

Whatever happened to the time when we had people like General Georges Vanier to be Governor General.  Or people like Australia's Governor General:

http://www.gg.gov.au/html/fset_bio.html

His Excellency Major General Michael Jeffery, AC, CVO, MC (Retd)

The short title for Major General Jeffery is:

His Excellency Major General Michael Jeffery AC CVO MC
Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia

The salutation for a letter may be either "Your Excellency" or "Dear General Jeffery"

Major General Michael Jeffery, AC, CVO, MC was born in Wiluna, Western Australia in 1937 and educated at Kent Street High School and the Royal Military College, Duntroon.

He graduated into Infantry and served operationally in Malaya, Borneo, Papua New Guinea and Vietnam, where he was awarded the Military Cross and the South Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. After command of all combat elements of the Army from platoon to division - including the Special Air Service Regiment - he retired in 1993 to assume the appointment of Governor of Western Australia, which he held for almost seven years. His major interests during his tenure were in youth affairs, education, environment and the family.

For his services to the State he was appointed a Companion in the Order of Australia, a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order and a Citizen of Western Australia.

On his retirement as Governor in 2000 he established in Perth, a not for profit research institute - Future Directions International (FDI) - whose object is to examine longer term issues facing Australia.

On 20 December 2000 he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Technology by Curtin University.

On 11 August 2003 he was sworn in as the twenty-fourth Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia.

Instead, Dithers appoints a second-rate unknown journalist with dual citizenship from the state broadcasting organ with questionable loyalty to Her Majesty, and to Canada.

The fact that there is this much controversy should be a sign that another person should be sought for the job.

agreed. There are people far more deserving of a GG position than Jean. I throw Lew Mckenzie's name in the hat if it were up to me.

Back