• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The current navy uniform

I never got to wear the blues. I had my release papers in my hand when they sent me up to get issued. My name was on the list, I was going to get the issue, release or not. I was one of the first in Halifax so they didn't have much to issue and weren't exactly sure who got what. Normal procedure. One thing I wondered about was the high necked white tunic. One got tossed on my pile despite an argument on whether senior NCO's would be issued or private purchase or whether the tunics were officer only. I have never seen pictures of NCO's in the tunics, did I get it by mistake?

You were issued the white tunic?  I should be so lucky!  They told me that it's a private purchase--you've got to have some money so as not to sweat to death in a black reefer jacket in a summer parade.

And, yes, NCMs do wear the white tunic, with unadorned shoulder straps instead of the two loops that receive the shoulder boards.  No trade badges are worn, however. 

When were you issued this tunic?  Perhaps it was something they used to do, but don't anymore.

Back in '87. I was one of the very first in Halifax to go for the issue of the blues. No one had a clue about what was supposed to be issued or dress regs for the new uniform. Stores only had bits and pieces of kit. They didn't know where to put the dolphins so the seamstress decided to put it on the sleeve cause that was easier. I think I got a white tunic because there was only a half dozen (I think they were samples) and the stores types wanted to get rid of them. One less thing to worry about.

I never got to wear the blues. When I got back to the boat with my little pile, every gannet in the Chuffs and Puffs mess mobbed me grabbing pieces. They all knew I was on the way to the release center and decided I didn't need any of it.

Trade badges where reintroduced during the late 80's when the new blue workdress was issued.  This replaced the gumby green crap we used to wear.  For some reason, trade badges on the working rig was dropped in the early 90's, undoubtedly after untold millions where spent.  Badges are now worn on DEU collar tags only or on the sleeve of the SS white shirt if your an MS or below.  Could never figure that bit out.

Am I correct (when I mentioned in my last post) that it is important to know seamen's trades quickly by seeing a badge?  Or is this reason not valid nowadays? (I know it was a reason, at one time anyway.)

buckahed said:
Back in '87. I was one of the very first in Halifax to go for the issue of the blues. No one had a clue about what was supposed to be issued or dress regs for the new uniform. Stores only had bits and pieces of kit. They didn't know where to put the dolphins so the seamstress decided to put it on the sleeve cause that was easier. I think I got a white tunic because there was only a half dozen (I think they were samples) and the stores types wanted to get rid of them. One less thing to worry about.

I never got to wear the blues. When I got back to the boat with my little pile, every gannet in the Chuffs and Puffs mess mobbed me grabbing pieces. They all knew I was on the way to the release center and decided I didn't need any of it.

In the RCN (and RN of course) the trade badges (submariner, aircrew, diver) were placed on the sleeve just above the rank. Also medals and ribbons were placed high on the shoulder rather than right above the pocket. After we got back our rightful colour they went back to place acoutramits (sp) were they were before. Then some tall forehead at NDHQ decided we should all look somewhat similar and we placed badges and medals at the same place as the Army and Air Force.

Few things I would like to see:

In the Navy your a sailor first and a MOC second. Everybody should wear the Naval Operations badge, (yes bin rats included)
I just hate that paperclip badge.

For officers, be like the medical pers (red stripes, white for Logistics)

The NCMs already have trade badges on their collars.

Executive curl for MARS and MARE officers.

Trade badges should be reintroduced on workdress.  Say your closed up at action stations with your flash hood on.  Hard to tell whos who in all the fun.  Badges would definitely help.

Are the whites considered work dress? When do you wear them? Say someone gets recruited into the COMM RSCH trade and gets put in the sea element, what would he wear on a day to day basis if he's posted somewhere in Ottawa nowhere near a boat.. hypothetically speaking of course  :)

As for recognizing rank badges the answer is simple......

Just go back to proper navy (and Army for that matter)

anyhow, I thought the eyepatch and the parraot were dead giveaways.... ;D

Yaaarrrrgh

greener said:
Are the whites considered work dress? When do you wear them? Say someone gets recruited into the COMM RSCH trade and gets put in the sea element, what would he wear on a day to day basis if he's posted somewhere in Ottawa nowhere near a boat.. hypothetically speaking of course   :)

Our workdress is called 'Naval Combat Dress' as I wrote above, the 'dress' part is unnautical & incorrect use of dress, but never mind. 

There are 2 uniforms that are referred to as 'whites:' No 1C/D & No 3B.  Number 1 is the ceremonial dress (1C) or undress (1B) (here 'dress' is used more or less correctly; it refers to the types of medals worn).  This uniform consists of white shoes, white trousers, a privately tailored white tunic (the only real tunic the navy wears), & the undress cap (which is really the dress cap since they took away cocked hats in 1939).

Number 3B is the same bottom half, but with a white, short-sleeved shirt.  The shirt is issued, so more likely if you're told to wear whites it'll be 3B.

But once white was workdress.  Jr ratings (what is now MS & below) wore their white duck jumpers for evolutions such as coaling a ship!  I think this is due to the fact that duck is more durable than serge when being washed all the time & perhaps it was a bit of tongue-in-cheek dress instructions from the Admiralty.  The officer's undress white tunic gave way to an undress khaki tunic as the British army had found the colour to look smarter than dirty white.

Personally, while I enjoy the confort of naval combat rig, I can't wait to wear my whites (either rig: 1 or 3) on NETPO this summer (I am a proud owner of the non-baggy polyester gabardine shirts).  Though I would like the option to wear black shoes/boots with them since wearing 1 pr of shoes in the hot summer can't be olifactorially-sound.

Sailing Instructor said:
(I am a proud owner of the non-baggy polyester gabardine shirts)

You have odd hobbies....

Say someone gets recruited into the COMM RSCH trade and gets put in the sea element, what would he wear on a day to day basis if he's posted somewhere in Ottawa nowhere near a boat

Does anyone have insight on this part?

Well

As far as I know everyone who works in the Puzzle Palace wears the CF Dress uniform to work.

Slim

NDHQ Navy guys wear a mariad of unifirms to work. Never NCD's though. Most days, it'll be Dress Trousers (Blue or Black as most call call them) with the Short Sleeve White shirt and Beret. Sweater over that, if needed. Or, they might wear the same, only with a Long Sleeve White Shirt with tie, and the Peak Cap.
Summer months will see the above rigs, or the 3B's (White Trousers,White Belt, White Shoes if they got 'em, Short Sleeve Shirt and Peak Cap) dependant on the weather. If it's summer dress, feel free to wear the 3B's if you want.
Of course, I'm a Hull Tech and can't stand wearing those things. The more slag burns on my NCD's the better..... :eek:

greener said:
Say someone gets recruited into the COMM RSCH trade and gets put in the sea element, what would he wear on a day to day basis if he's posted somewhere in Ottawa nowhere near a boat

Does anyone have insight on this part?

doesnt matter  what arm you belong to you wear that uniform there . comms research is a multi arm trade like sigs and rms clerk so you wear what you were issued  {no combats} when do they do hand to hand?

YukonJack said:
NDHQ Navy guys wear a mariad of unifirms to work. Never NCD's though.

Not true my little shipwright friend. I have been to NDHQ and have seen many sailors wearing their NCD's.

I travel to Ottawa yearly for the National Shooting Competitions and during our time there we get chances to head down town. I've seen a number of personnel wearing NCD's out and about. Depending on what their job is normally dictates their "dress of the day". You wouldn't want a Navy technician working in a communications closet wearing his salt and peppers, it just isn't practical.

When Naval Personnel are posted to a LFA, they are required to wear Combats (Land Environment) to work.

The CF is one big happy family.

Navalsnpr said:
I travel to Ottawa yearly for the National Shooting Competitions and during our time there we get chances to head down town. I've seen a number of personnel wearing NCD's out and about. Depending on what their job is normally dictates their "dress of the day". You wouldn't want a Navy technician working in a communications closet wearing his salt and peppers, it just isn't practical.

When Naval Personnel are posted to a LFA, they are required to wear Combats (Land Environment) to work.

The CF is one big happy family.

Hope to hell they were the relish slip ons when they are wearing the new combats. Nothing looks more idiotic than the relish slip ons on NCDs

Army and Air Force members serving onboard HMC Ships must wear NCD's. For as long as I remember, they are able to wear their distinct slip-ons so that personnel can determine their element. Since the introduction of CADPAT, Army personnel are now wearing the CADPAT slip-ons vice the older Olive Drab ones.

Personally, I think that you should be wearing the standard slip-ons (Black backing with gold embroidery) if you are wearing your distinctive beret/wedge. At sea, we all wear our ball caps and that should be the only time they should be allowed to wear their distinctive slip-ons.

I wear CADPAT on a regular occurrence. I normally wear my beret and everyone knows I'm Navy, except for the odd person who is new in the Army and think I'm Armoured!! If I have to wear my field cap, then the only means of determining my element is by seeing the anchor on my CADPAT nametape.

Back