• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Decline of the Liberal Party- Swerved Into a Confederation Topic

It’s pretty much a nothing burger for now. The CPC downplayed it a bit and PP was nowhere to be seen.

Losing it by a worse margin than your predecessors though is probably going to illicite some reaction behind the scenes.

I am still of the opinion that PP is going to try and win a general election without Ontario.

It’s pretty much a nothing burger for now. The CPC downplayed it a bit and PP was nowhere to be seen.

Losing it by a worse margin than your predecessors though is probably going to illicite some reaction behind the scenes.

I am still of the opinion that PP is going to try and win a general election without Ontario.
I actually believe in the next election, the results for Ontario will stay more or less the same.
The Liberal ridings will stay Liberal because Harper was bad.
The Conservative ridings will stay Conservatives 'cause they ain't no stinkin' commy loving Liberals (I am in one of those ridings)
There may be a few grey area ridings that could go either way.

For now, I support the Conservatives (I have voted Con, NDP, Green and on several occasions Independents). However, IF they form government and blow it hard, I will drop them faster than grade 10 french class. I did it before. Harper lost me when I saw what the new veterans act did to my friends coming back from Afghanistan.

I really wish people in this country would stop with the sports team nonsense when it comes to politics. Vote every election as though your part of a hiring board and 36 million investors depend on you to make the right choice. Not the popular choice, the right choice. Not the "we always vote.." choice but the right choice. Not vote "strategically" but vote for what is right. Not vote out of fear the other person might win but vote for what is right.

One thing that would get on my nerves is if next election PP wins more so by people being fed up with Trudeau than having faith in PP (I am a PP supporter as you all know).

I feel a lot of this country think and act as people who have grown up and lived in "fortress North America" in other words they are oblivious to the realities of how most of the world and its politics works (and the results)

I actually believe in the next election, the results for Ontario will stay more or less the same.
The Liberal ridings will stay Liberal because Harper was bad.
The Conservative ridings will stay Conservatives 'cause they ain't no stinkin' commy loving Liberals (I am in one of those ridings)
There may be a few grey area ridings that could go either way.
I doubt that the Liberals are going to find another Ovid Jackson, and Ruff would have to have make a major major and (out of character) oopsie to lose the seat.

It's unfortunate that Ruff and Nater are being sidelined. If the CPC ran a slate of similar candidates and adopted their tone and style they'd have a majority.

I doubt that the Liberals are going to find another Ovid Jackson, and Ruff would have to have make a major major and (out of character) oopsie to lose the seat.

It's unfortunate that Ruff and Nater are being sidelined. If the CPC ran a slate of similar candidates and adopted their tone and style they'd have a majority.
What indications are there that either are being sidelined? Honest question.

What indications are there that either are being sidelined? Honest question.
Honest answer, I'm probably reading to much into them being omitted from 80 of 121 sitting MP's being named to shadow cabinet + lack of committee roles, combined with where they stood on the leadership/ some other things.

I know Alex personally (Former CO 2RCR).. Before we heap more on his plate, remember he is an MP and a single father, things are busy for him.

Honest answer, I'm probably reading to much into them being omitted from 80 of 121 sitting MP's being named to shadow cabinet + lack of committee roles, combined with where they stood on the leadership/ some other things.
It could be because they’re trusted and depended upon for close support to PP himself, vs running around shadowing things. Ruff actually sits/sat on a number of Committees (AFG-past, National Security and Intelligence- current), was past Deputy Party Whip, currently member of CANUS Inter-Parliamentary Group and the Can-NATO Parliamentary Association.

I’d take that over Shadow Cabinet Minister for Canadian Heritage and Safe Sport in Canada…

It could be because they’re trusted and depended upon for close support to PP himself, vs running around shadowing things. Ruff actually sits/sat on a number of Committees (AFG-past, National Security and Intelligence- current), was past Deputy Party Whip, currently member of CANUS Inter-Parliamentary Group and the Can-NATO Parliamentary Association.

I’d take that over Shadow Cabinet Minister for Canadian Heritage and Safe Sport in Canada…
And I keep Alex busy everytime he drops by my farm to pick up his meat package (Picking up a newborn calf, walking a bottle calf, showing him hot the sheep fencing works)....

In all seriousness, he does some good work

Like I said, I'm probably reading too much into stuff but given Alex's qualifications and ability as a leader he should be a rising star with a couple very clear portfolio's where the country would benefit greatly from his experience.

Hopefully Rick is right and it's moreso by choice, but my impression is that there's more at play and he's not on the "inside" in this caucus.
@ArmyRick - can't say I know him personally, but I we've been back and forth. Has my support until he loses it by his own action.

I suspect that there are a number on people on Team Poilievre who believe that can be done ... I also suspect that they all got bare passes on the one compulsory Stats course when they took their PoliSci degrees at Carleton.

Yup. From what I hear, it’s a solid Liberal riding and PP didn’t campaign there once.

Yup. From what I hear, it’s a solid Liberal riding and PP didn’t campaign there once.
Solid is a bit deceiving.

1979 to 1993. Conservative
1993 to 2011. Liberal
2011 to 2015. Conservative (Liberals finished 3rd)
2015 to present Liberal.

Most contests have been tight margins. If there is a GTA riding that could be flipped it’s that one.

But bi elections are what they are. If there was a mood for change it didn’t manifest itself this time. Plus add low voter turn out and holiday season. But the margin of the loss is probably the only stand out thing that might warrant some looking at by the party war rooms.

Back