• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Epiphany

kimmie

Inactive
Reaction score
Just thought I would share something with the military spouses who frequent this board.

A) There is lots of support out there for you, you just have to look, sometimes really hard. It really is there though. Have faith.  ;)

B) And this point is mostly for the spouses that will be/are new to the military life. You and your SO are about to undertake a life changing event. For some people that is the greatest thing that could ever happen to them, while for others, there can be nothing worse. It is a long, hard, often lonely road as a lot of it is spend travelling alone. Add kids to the mix and you have a whole new dynamic. Everyone misses everyone and sometimes it seems like one big cryfest. Take comfort in knowing things will get better, just stick with it. There will come a time when the deployments won't get any easier or seeing them go won't hurt any less, but there will be that moment in time when everything just seems to stop. You realize as the spouse who is sending their SO off to whatever deployment, course, tasking, etc is needed your heart will be big enough to tell them you understand when you really don't and say I love you regardless of everything. You will move forward and be okay. :)

I know sometimes that seems like it may never happen or at the very least it's so far down the road it's hard to envision, but it does exist. I can say this will certainty as I have finally found that comfort in the last few months. Having dh away for 15 months does that to a person. And I know there are couples out there who have survived far worse, so don't think I am saying I have done something overly amazing.

People in and out of the military life have asked "how do you do it" and I simply tell them "you just do." I have yet to come up with another answer. If you love each other and this is something that everyone in the family wants, you just do it. It's hard, long, sad days but for those moments when that SO gets off the plane and the butterflies go crazy, it's well worth it all.

If someone had told me this is what I was truly in for, I may have faltered for a moment, but I blame that on being young. I can't imagine not being a military wife and being so proud of someone for giving of themselves. Seems the least I can do is hold the fort down while they are gone.

The military life, on both sides of the coin, certainly isn't for everyone, but for those who try it, it is well worth the rewards. You just have to make sure you are going in with your eyes wide open, knowing what is to come.

Of course, this is all just IMHO and I am certainly no expert, just wanted to give those who seemed to be struggling some hope.  ;D

Back