• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

Originally posted by Che:
[qb] Not arguing the validity of the idea behind the petition; but does anyone find it harder to take a internet petition as seriously as they do one on paper?[/qb]
Hey... Well i think it is being taken seriously because this morning i was listening to the radio and with the story about that horrible family they mentioned that there is a internet petition going on to try and get the family removed.. They said it shows how much Canadians disapprove of this family living here..

I can just picture it, Dalton hand delivers her first welfare cheque she grabs it, spits on him and tells him to piss off cause he is a dirty infidel.
Naivete isn‘t grounds to gain refugee status

The Standard

Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:00

Editorial - It's doubful there's sympathy among veterans of the Canadian Forces and serving members of militia units such as Niagara's Lincoln and Welland Regiment for the refugee claim by Brandon Hughey.

The 18-year-old Texan, who is living in St. Catharines while seeking refugee status in Canada, deserted from the U.S. Army's 1st Cavalry on the same day his unit was being shipped out from Fort Hood, Texas, for the Middle East early last month.

Hughey says when he enlisted in the army in August 2002, he saw it as an opportunity to go to college, never thinking he would be going to war.

But this was less than a year after 9/11, and while war with Iraq might not have struck him as a possibility, there was enough turmoil around the globe that the chance of conflict involving U.S. troops was imminent, whether as combatants, peacemakers or peacekeepers.

Indeed, this is the case for most western military forces. Even part-time soldiers such as members of the Lincs and Winks have served and are serving alongside regular forces in peacekeeping missions in Bosnia and Afghanistan, where danger is always present â ” as humanitarian agency workers know well.

Perhaps it is the naivete of youth, but when someone enlists to be a soldier, the training is to ready him or her for combat, whether in an offensive, defensive or support role.

Hughey says he is confident his refugee claim will be successful and that he will set up permanent residence in Canada.

But one wonders on what grounds the Immigration and Refugee Board can grant him refugee status. As a deserter, he faces certain arrest and court martial if he is returned to the U.S., and a probable jail term. There is certainly no likelihood of the death penalty, although desertion in time of war is punishable by death in the U.S. â ” a punishment not meted out since the Second World War.

People might sympathize with a young man who perhaps was misled by the glamour and opportunities offered in recruiting brochures and spiels, but naivete is hardly cause for a refugee claim.

NATIONAL POST

KHADRS WILL GET MEDICAL, SOCIAL BENEFITS, MCGUINTY SAYS PROVINCE‘S RESPONSIBILITY
April 14, 2004

TORONTO - Ontario will "assume its responsibility" by offering health and
social benefits to the Khadr family, the controversial clan with alleged links to al-Qaeda, Premier Dalton McGuinty said yesterday.
Mr. McGuinty said until the federal government says otherwise, Canadian citizens Maha Elsamnah, her 14-year-old son, Karim, and his brother
Abdurahman Khadr, 21, are entitled to receive health-care coverage or apply for social assistance benefits.

"We will assume our responsibility on behalf of the citizens of Ontario. If the federal government wishes to change the status of those
people, that‘s up to them."

Ms. Elsamnah and Karim returned to Canada from Pakistan last Friday, reportedly to receive medical attention. Karim was paralyzed in October
during a gun battle with Pakistani security officers near the Afghanistan border and had been in a Pakistani hospital.

His father, Ahmed, who U.S. intelligence officials say was an al-Qaeda financier and advisor to Osama bin Laden, was killed in the
same battle.

Conservative MPP Bob Runciman criticized Ontario‘s Liberal government yesterday for not lobbying federal officials to have the Khadrs expelled, calling them "Canada‘s first family of terrorism."

"They‘ve shown pretty clearly that that‘s the case. I don‘t think they merit continued Canadian citizenship. I think they forfeited
their right to Canadian citizenship and all of the benefits that go with it."

Mr. Runciman wants the federal government to amend the Citizenship Act so proven terrorists would have their citizenship revoked.

"They are Canadians of convenience, there‘s no question about it. Come back here to recuperate and then move on to nefarious
activities," he said.

The return of the paralyzed Karim has touched off a storm of controversy.

An Internet petition www.petitiononline.com/khadr/petition.html) calls on the federal government to deny the family welfare and health benefits, and to deport them. The petition has received more than 3,000
hits since being set up over the weekend, the Web site says.

Health Ministry officials say new or returning residents of Ontario must live in the province for three months before becoming eligible for medical benefits. An official at the Ministry of Community and Social Services said
no such requirements exist in order to collect welfare.

Abdurahman Khadr returned to Canada last year after being released from U.S. detention at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

He made headlines around the world when he admitted to attending al-Qaeda training camps between 1992 and 2003.

Their 17-year-old brother, Omar Khadr, remains in U.S. custody in Guantanamo Bay. He was arrested in Afghanistan almost two years ago and is accused of killing a U.S. soldier.

Ms. Elsamnah told CBC television this year she would be proud to have her children become suicide bombers. She said she sent her four
sons to al-Qaeda training camps because it was better than raising them in Canada.

In the same CBC segment, Ms. Elsamnah‘s daughter, Zaynab, commented on the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks: "They deserve it. They‘ve been doing it for such a long time, why shouldn‘t they feel it once in a while?"

Originally posted by Bill Smy:
Hughey says he is confident his refugee claim will be successful and that he will set up permanent residence in Canada.
I‘m sure he is quite confident. He must have heard about the Khadr family. The guy bails out on his own country and runs straight into Canada and no doubt, we‘ll accept him with open arms, hand over a welfare check and a foot rub at the same time.

I think the response is over 10,000. Here is Diane Ablonccczy‘s response--

Thank you very much for your recent correspondence regarding the return of members of the Khadr family to Canada. This issue has upset many Canadians and my office has received several emails as a result.

"Canada has laws against expressing hatred or advocating violence against identifiable groups (Section 318 of the Criminal Code defines an identifiable group as, â Å“any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin.â ?) So it is entirely consistent with Canadian traditions and values to refuse to accept those who violate these prohibitions (especially those who do so openly and explicitly) into the Canadian family, and to exclude those same people who were accepted prior to their repugnant views becoming known.

The Citizenship Act should be changed to provide clear and objective guidelines for refusing/revoking citizenship in such circumstances, and provide an expeditious and efficient due process for enforcing those guidelines."

She‘s demanding her rights. We should demand her obligations
=================

KHADRS‘CITIZENSHIP FUELS PUBLIC OUTCRY

By COLIN FREEZE
From Saturday‘s Globe and Mail

Behind the brick walls of his grandparents‘ house in Scarborough, where a tattered Maple Leaf flutters on the front porch, Karim Khadr lies listlessly on a pink rug in the living room watching TV.

There are Palestinian flags and Arabic verses on the walls, Hollywood movies beside the VCR and five threatening messages on the answering machine.

"You‘re not wanted in this country," says one anonymous caller. "Get the **** out of this country, you *******s," says another. "I thought maybe by now you‘d get the **** out of here and take off back to Pakistan with your al-Qaeda friends," says a third.

Karim, who has just turned 15 and is mostly paralyzed from the waist down, has been back in Canada for one week. Lying on the floor in his Toronto Blue Jays sweatshirt, he seems perplexed.

"I‘m not a bad person. Why am I a bad person?" he said, his head a foot away from his mother‘s painted toenails. "Maybe we‘re even a little bit better than some of them."

Six months ago, he was in Waziristan, Pakistan, with his father, Ahmed Said Khadr, a long-time terrorism suspect nicknamed al-Kanadi, Arabic for "the Canadian."

The father, known to global intelligence agencies as a close associate of Osama bin Laden, was a hunted man, once suspected of financing a bombing that killed 17 people. He fled Afghanistan with Taliban and al-Qaeda leaders as the United States invaded in 2001.

Last October, Pakistani agents caught up with Mr. Khadr, who kept Karim around to help him because he‘d been hobbled by a land mine 10 years earlier. Now, Karim has crippling injuries of his own, and his 57-year-old father is dead.

The boy said he was walking to a stream about 500 metres from his mud hut with his 16-year-old friend, Khalid. Without warning, a bullet struck.

"I was just walking, and they shot me from behind," he said. "My back."

He waited out the ensuing battle lying on the ground, conscious but bleeding, and watched as two helicopter gunships attacked the hut, killing his father and seven other militants.

Later, in hospital, Karim was shown pictures of the corpses, and identified his father as one of the dead.

Thus ended one long chapter of the Khadr family history. Another has now begun with the return of Karim and his mother.

This week, the name Khadr was once again on everyone‘s lips, and once again straining the limits of Canadian tolerance.

Since Karim‘s mother, Maha Elsamnah, and one of her daughters defended al-Qaeda and attacked Canadian values on national TV last month, the outrage has climbed from the grassroots to the highest political levels.

Almost 10,000 irate Canadians have signed an on-line petition demanding the family be kicked out of the country. The outcry put the Prime Minister and Ontario Premier on the defensive as they explained the family‘s rights to citizenship and health care. A Liberal MP is demanding that Ms. Elsamnah be charged under the anti-terrorism act.

But an opposite reaction has greeted the storm of protest. Yesterday, at the Salaheddin mosque near the Khadr home, Karim‘s grandfather was among the hundreds who gathered for Friday prayers. Two men, recently released after being detained for murky reasons in the Middle East, were also there.

Ahmad Abou El-Maati is a 39-year-old truck driver who was jailed for two years in Syria and Egypt. Helmy Elsherief had worked with the Afghanistan charities in which Ahmed Said Khadr was involved, before Egyptian authorities held him for three weeks. Neither man wanted to discuss the detentions, which seemed to be based on Canadian intelligence tips.

In his sermon, Imam Aly Hindy told the faithful that the senior Mr. Khadr may or may not have been a terrorist, but that it‘s now for God to judge.

As for the rest of the immediate family, "these people have extreme views," he conceded. "But who said if you have extreme views you should be kicked out?"

The imam said Muslims pay taxes and probably require fewer social services than non-Muslims because they eschew activities such as drinking, promiscuity and homosexual relationships. Then he spoke of the mercy between spouses, between brothers, even between animals.

"Even the lion mother might be very merciful to her child," he told the congregation.

Karim‘s mother, who now carries her teenaged son room to room like a toddler, is unrepentant. "I‘m Canadian, and I‘m not begging for my rights; I‘m demanding my rights," Ms. Elsamnah said yesterday.

Kneeling beside her boy, she said she has applied for Ontario hospital insurance, but since there is a three-month residency requirement, she doesn‘t know how she‘ll pay for the treatment he needs right away.

"Feel his spine," she said. She pointed out the entry wound on his back, the exit wound on his abdomen and the long scar that runs down from his sternum.

His calf muscles are disappearing from lack of use. "I can move them a little bit," Karim said, as he made a tiny movement.

The teenager‘s internal injuries keep him from eating much; he has lost a lot of weight and is easy for his mother to lift. Painkillers don‘t seem to work as they once did. He is irritable and can‘t sleep.

It‘s spring outside, and while children play at the Catholic school nearby, Karim sits inside and watches movies. His mother doesn‘t always like his predilection for adventure films.

"Yesterday he was watching Kill Bill. I hated it ..... it‘s one person killing hundreds of people," said Ms. Elsamnah, complaining about the blood. "I liked Lord of the Kings," she added, mispronouncing the movie‘s title, "because it‘s fighting for justice. I love that."

Ms. Elsamnah said she sees the hobbits as valiant warriors locked in a struggle against an evil, imperialistic power. For her, that power resembles the United States.

A figure of immense controversy, Ms. Elsamnah said she is clear in her conscience, safe in her citizenship and faithful to her God. She defends the family‘s decision to move to Afghanistan years ago and insists she and her husband were always charity workers, that Afghan training camps were good places for her sons to learn discipline.

And though she was friends with the wives of Osama bin Laden and his deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri, she still insists she was never very close to al-Qaeda. "I disagree with some of what they do. ..... I hate bloodshed because I‘ve seen so much of it," she said. "I hope it‘s over soon â ” in Iraq, in Afghanistan and in Palestine."

She has denounced Canada‘s liberal social values, but the Palestinian woman insists she is proud of her 30 years as a Canadian citizen, except when her country blindly follows the United States. "You want to be a friend to a devil?" she asked.

Last week, she and Karim came to Canada after having fought to obtain special, single-use passports. Canadian High Commission officials were initially a little "nasty," but in the end were "very nice," she said. She hopes to see the rest of her children back in Canada soon.

Always a mother, she remembered her sons as young boys. Abdullah, now a 23-year-old fugitive in Pakistan, was the quiet one. Omar, the wounded 17-year-old in Guantanamo Bay who U.S. soldiers say killed one of their own during a raid in Afghanistan, was the disciplined one. Abdurahman, the 21-year-old who also spent a year in Cuba before going to work as a U.S. spy, was the rebellious one. She worries about him. "He‘s not bad, just different," she said.

And Karim? Six months ago, her youngest son could be a difficult boy who never did his chores and wanted to be the boss. Now, his demeanour has changed so much. Remembering the Pakistani helicopter gunships, his face darkens whenever he hears an airplane.

Maha Elsamanah sat down to a lunch of smoked salmon at her parents‘ house this week. She thought of her late husband: It was his favourite dish. She said he is a martyr for Islam and hopes that in the afterlife, they will be together again.

"It was not planned this way, but God willed it this way," she said of the turmoil her family has faced. "You can‘t blame me if we tried our best

Thats awesome...

I consider my family "Canadian".

I‘m in the military.
I have a cousin who was in the first gulf war
My uncle served in korea.
My grandfather world war 2.
My grand fathers father served in ww1.
I even have a relitive who served with the british empire (Empire loyalists i believe?) during the late 1700s.

Little bit of military service in my family. I don‘t think someone needs to serve time in the military to be considered canadian by any means. Lots of people contribute to this country.
My little brother has to wait months to get an MRI for his back. (Or he can go to quebec and pay out of his pocket to get it done).
This woman is demanding her rights? What gives her that right? Shes a "citizen"? My ***.
I don‘t see this family as having contributed anything.
But they are citizens!
Well as much as i hate to agree infront of my peers here, i agree. A citizen should be entitled to everything the next citizen is. I mean we have child rapists and murderers who have done far worse things than this little boy and they are sitting in comfy jails getting steaks on friday reading playboys and getting free condoms for their cell mates.

Maybe the real thing to consider here is that its too eazy to be a citizen. Were giving away so much. Why?
We should make being a citizen something important, something to work for and not just bennifit from. (Yes thats the same idea from star ship troopers but i think its an excellent idea)

Its US who are paying for the health care, lawyers and welfare checks of these bottom feeders. If they are so proud of being a citizen, make them do something for it.

The sheer arogance is really starting to piss me off. The boy is claiming he was just walking across to a stream and the "without warning a bullet struck". Right and then exactly after that, that is when the battle started. It is just mind bogling that this was allowed to happen. We can only hope that this scandal along with adscam, will finally stick to the Fiberals and a Conserative government will have the guts to strengthen our horrid immigration systems and charge these f|_|ckers with treason and terrorism.
Burn them all. I am close to finding out were they live.

Must... control... fist...of ... death...

I would encourage eveyone to write/contact their MP, and for my fellow Ontartio residents, contact your MPP and start writing (professional) nastygrams to Dalton (The Dolt) McGuinty. This bullshit is so past unsat as to be out in fantasy land. Something NEEDS to be done.

I‘m so disgusted with these "people".

I got a message back from my MPP saying he wants to talk to me in person so can I please give him my home address and phone number!...

Yah, that‘l happen. NOT!

Wed, April 21, 2004

We‘re giving comfort to the enemy

By PETER WORTHINGTON -- For the Toronto Sun

WHAT TO do about the Khadr family?

Probably nothing.

The fact that they are all al-Qaida supporters cuts no ice with those who feel a person‘s (or family‘s) beliefs shouldn‘t affect their citizenship.

In theory this is fine. But it hardly works in practice.

Canada doesn‘t want nasty nutbar Ernst Zundel to keep his citizenship because he believes Hitler was a good guy and the Holocaust didn‘t happen.

Canada‘s immigration department wants a handful of aging Ukrainians stripped of their citizenship and deported because as teenagers they were forced to work for Nazi auxiliaries in World War II.

The Khadr family‘s involvement with al-Qaida is somewhat more than mere "beliefs," and has extended to participation, and working for them.

Al-Qaida is an enemy of Canada. While we, as a country, opted not to go to war against Saddam Hussein, we did join the war against al-Qaida in Afghanistan.

The issue of tolerating the Khadr family as citizens is more complex than tolerating dissenters. Al-Qaida killed Canadians who worked in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

Still, the Khadr family has benefited more than most from their Canadian citizenship. The father, Ahmed Khadr, was rescued from a Pakistan jail, where he was confined for suspected terrorist activities, owing to the personal intervention of then prime minister Jean Chretien.

Ahmed was later killed when Pakistani troops attacked suspected terrorists. His son, also an al-Qaida fighter, was killed. Another Khadr kid, Karim, was slated to be a suicide bomber until he was shot and paralyzed. He‘s now in Canada getting medical treatment. The Children‘s Aid Society is reportedly checking to determine if it is a form of child abuse to encourage your kid to be a suicide bomber.

Another Khadr son, Omar, is being held in Guantanamo Bay, suspected of killing a U.S. medic while fighting with al-Qaida.

Son Abdurahman apparently agreed to be a spy inside al-

Qaida after he was caught by the Americans, thus earning the enmity of his mother and sister.

The mother, Maha Elsamnah, seems a piece of work, too, saying she‘s lived 30 years as a Canadian and was quoted in a Globe and Mail interview saying, "I‘m not begging for my rights; I‘m demanding my rights."

The reaction of many Canadians is "beg away, lady, we don‘t want you."

The arrogance and intransigence of the Khadrs is as awesome as it is infuriating.

Reaction in letters and radio talk shows indicates Canadians are more upset than somewhat.

On CBC radio‘s Cross-Canada Checkup last Sunday, predictable academics and civil libertarian worry-warts said revoking the Khadr family‘s citizenship would be a mistake and show Canada as an intolerant country.

This is nonsense, of course.

Accepting an immigrant as a citizen implies -- or should imply -- certain values and responsibilities.

We often bend to accommodate newcomers and lose sight of our existing culture. No question, immigrants have added much to our culture. Most become valuable citizens.

But those who bring a gun culture to our streets, or settle arguments with shootouts, or wage turf wars over drug distribution, are not the sort we should show much tolerance towards.

The same goes for those who actively support or indulge in terrorist activities. As for al-Qaida, it is a terrorist organization that directly or indirectly has resulted in Canadians being killed.

Simple belief in al-Qaida, or any cult, is far different from joining the enemy to destabilize the prevailing ethic. Or to advance a creed that seeks the destruction of others on religious grounds.

A case can be made that the Khadr family are unworthy of Canada and have earned the right to have their citizenship revoked.

Hats off to Mr. Peter Worthington.

"On CBC radio‘s Cross-Canada Checkup last Sunday, predictable academics and civil libertarian worry-warts said revoking the Khadr family‘s citizenship would be a mistake and show Canada as an intolerant country."

That‘s a problem there Canada is too tolerant of country.
We have to start placing greater restrictions on who can come here and set up house.

A line as to be drawn somewhere, and an example must be sent. I hope that the government listens to the people (for once).

Cheers,

Wes

Originally posted by Slim:
[qb] I‘m so disgusted with these "people".

I got a message back from my MPP saying he wants to talk to me in person so can I please give him my home address and phone number!...

Yah, that‘l happen. NOT! [/qb]
So you talk the talk but when you get the real opportunity to do something, you turn yellow. Nice. Guess I know how much your posts are worth.

My feelings are no different then the rest of you, but...

If she is a citizen of this country then she is entitled to those benifit within the law. I feel that while the family is here, and up until the day the gov‘t pulls thier citizenship (if they can) then the young lad should get the same medical care the rest of us enjoy (or hate either way). We do have much worse people in this country, people who I would rather get rid of before the Khadr family.

As misguided in our minds thier beliefs are...you do have to respect them for thier convictions.

And one burning question I do have is...

Is Mrs Khadr a leafs fan?

I know your probably just joking. But, I have absolutely ZERO respect for those people (terrorists and/or their supporters) they‘re all the same to me.

"So you talk the talk but when you get the real opportunity to do something, you turn yellow. Nice. Guess I know how much your posts are worth."

Reference the petition going around. If a soldier signed it, used their real name and stated they were a soldier could that hypothecially come back to bite them in the ***? I assume that would be under soldiers not being allowed to sign petitions?

Canada is like the the little kid on the block who will do or say anything to get everyone to like him unfortinuatly.

I‘m suprised you got a response from your MP, old Dalton has never responded to anything I wrote him. I hate him.

And also Armymedic, I heard Mrs Khadr is a Sens fan, and that is the real reason everyone wants her out.

Back