• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

U.S. ‘drone memo’ offers legal ammunition in Omar Khadr case
If CIA drone pilots cannot be charged with war crimes, how could the Pentagon convict former Guantanamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr?
It may seem like a stretch to compare 27-year-old Khadr with an agent of the Central Intelligence Agency, but since both are civilians, or what’s considered “unprivileged belligerents,” there are legal similarities in the cases, Khadr’s lawyers argue.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/07/02/us_drone_memo_offers_legal_ammunition_in_omar_khadr_case.html

...the office of legal counsel in the Justice Department concluded war criminality turns on a person's actions, not on factors such as whether the person is officially part of an army or wears a uniform.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/omar-khadr-war-crimes-charges-lack-legal-basis-u-s-memo-suggests-1.2694614

If he's not a war criminal, but actually a lawful combatant, is he now a prisoner of war that we can hold indefinitely until hostilities cease? Seeing as how al-queda (no spell check on phone) has declared a perpetual state of war, and he was captured fighting with them, we can make a POW camp for him to rot in (Guantanamo?) until they surrender. Be careful what you wish for, Khadr.

PuckChaser said:
If he's not a war criminal, but actually a lawful combatant, is he now a prisoner of war that we can hold indefinitely until hostilities cease? Seeing as how al-queda (no spell check on phone) has declared a perpetual state of war, and he was captured fighting with them, we can make a POW camp for him to rot in (Guantanamo?) until they surrender. Be careful what you wish for, Khadr.

I suggest a location such as: Iqaluit.

No way, that would be a slap in the face for rhea cure t  population of Iqaluit

SherH2A said:

Not if they tie him to a stick outside of town...

SherH2A said:

From what I gather from people who inhabit places such as this it can be as dangerous after dark as Kandahar. Maybe it's not such a bad option.....

The Angels were moving in up there in 98 when I was passing through...of course, they could chain him up with the sled dogs just off the end of the airport runway - nice view of the ocean there and four legged fury creatures to cuddle up with to keep him warm.

MM

KevinB said:
Not if they tie him to a stick outside of town... and spill the oil from sardine cans over him, or only on parts for selective eating......  :2c: + $1.89 for the can of sardines....

GAP said:
KevinB said:
Not if they tie him to a stick outside of town... and spill the oil from sardine cans over him, or only on parts for selective eating......  :2c: + $1.89 for the can of sardines....

>:D

Would that be sort of like serving up Prairie Oysters to Polar bears?

When are the courts going to get tired of this guy?  I wouldn't think the courts would be concerned about spending much effort on appeals of guilty pleas.  If he wasn't guilty, then he committed perjury.  His lawyers simply appear to be playing the legal aid free spending aggravation card.  They are making big bucks repeatedly bringing a dead case back to court.  I am not sure how a simple legal opinion, not tested in court, and not identical in fact is supposed to overturn a guilty plea.  The guy only has 4 years left and isn't getting parole until he actually reconciles with the past he plead guilty to in court.  A little contrition might have got him out a year or two early.  Flogging a dead means spending every minute of his sentence in jail.

Rocky Mountains said:
When are the courts going to get tired of this guy?
OK, against my better judgement.....  :not-again:

.......how many Canadian court appearances do you believe Omar Khadr has made?

:pop:

I think, in fairness to the Court, that it is more accurate to say that the Court determined that Khadr must serve his sentence in an adult provincial facility, not a federal facility.  The Court noted that there was no basis to challenge the validity of the sentence itself; the only question was in what facility the sentence had to be served.  It had to be in a provincial facility because, had Khadr been sentenced in Canada, he would have been sentenced as a young offender and would have served his sentence in a provincial facility.

Back