• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB)

Poppa

Inactive
Reaction score
Just got this from my RHQ.

PWGSC has awarded contracts today for two different Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB).  They are:

Royer

Terra

Both boots were selected by soldiers during the bid evaluation.  Sufficient quantities are expected to be delivered in time to start issue by early 2015 (One year from now).

Soldiers will be issued two pairs and will have the choice of two pairs of either kind or one one pair of each kind.

The LOTB project is the last of the Clothe The Soldier sub-projects.  When deliveries are complete, the Clothe The Soldier will have delivered 25 separate items of clothing and load carriage equipment at a total overall cost of $400M.
FYI

Poppa said:

PWGSC has awarded contracts today for two different Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB).  They are:

Royer

Terra

Both boots were selected by soldiers during the bid evaluation.  Sufficient quantities are expected to be delivered in time to start issue by early 2015 (One year from now).

Soldiers will be issued two pairs and will have the choice of two pairs of either kind or one one pair of each kind.

The LOTB project is the last of the Clothe The Soldier sub-projects.  When deliveries are complete, the Clothe The Soldier will have delivered 25 separate items of clothing and load carriage equipment at a total overall cost of $400M.
FYI

Apparently once you are issued the brown ones, privately purchased ones will be verboten.....

We shall see.

Cool Aid. Makers of suede Coyote-Tan boots are gonna make a fortune with us buying their boots.

Poppa said:

Royer

Terra

FYI

Poppa said:

Royer

Royer has GSP as a spokesperson, so they must know exactly how to build military footwear.

If the initial issue is going to be Summer 2015 (lets be realistic), I'll get my custom made pair sometime in 2019.

PuckChaser said:
Royer has GSP as a spokesperson, so they must know exactly how to build military footwear.

If the initial issue is going to be Summer 2015 (lets be realistic), I'll get my custom made pair sometime in 2019.

Concur. This is the saga that never ends.

Poppa said:

I find this line interesting....

The Clothe The Soldier fluff at the end was the most hilarious part. A giant project that delivered sub-par equipment, late, and in insufficient quantities. $400 million in overall cost doesn't include the $400 million to keep the project office open for the last 10 years or so.

Meanwhile we have troops with no boots whatsoever that are on BMQ using either civvy running shoes or other personal footwear. At least one guy had borderline trench foot as a result of having wet weather boots only and no issued socks (using his civvy cotton socks).  Many could not get environmental clothing (i.e. ICE jacket and pants, gloves, or mukluks) at supply, which really limits what we can do as a course on a winter PRes BMQ. Staff can lend out some of their own personal kit to make this work, but the CAF's procurement system is seriously letting candidates down when a simple thing such as boots is just not obtainable. Not to mention the fact that I am walking around in cheese cloth combats and can't get them replaced (tried supply in Petawawa as well as NDHQ clothing stores). Brown boots, black boots, civvy running shoes, and not to mention different colours of t-shirts. So much for the concept of a "uniform".

"25 separate items of clothing and load carriage equipment".

It's been twenty-five types of failed boots alone, hasn't it?

So that means I could get one left boot of brand A and a right boot of brand B  >:D

;D

Loachman said:
"25 separate items of clothing and load carriage equipment".

It's been twenty-five types of failed boots alone, hasn't it?

At least that many.... if not more.....

I finally got up to Edmonton last week.. thought I'd get at least one pair of boots swapped out..I'll take brown, purple, I don't care.

Nope. Anything in "normal" sizes is out of stock.  Bonus, the one pair that fits me well has started to split.  This is embarrassing.

Wear flipflops. We'll have come full circle from donating boots to the ANA so they can get rid of their sandals (or no footwear), to use having to wear sandals because DND procurement can't sort out $#%@#$% boots.

This whole situation with the lack of kit and equipment in the supply system must be so deflating for new recruits. I think as a civvy when someone joins the army their expectation is that it's a well oiled and organized machine, and instead these recruits are finding out that they've joined an army that can't even organize something as basic as proper footwear.  What a gong show?!

I can't fathom that even after these new boots come into service in 2015 that there still won't be a need for non-issue boots. Nor can I understand why the powers that be would be so opposed to troops wearing their own boots in the field or while on ops. As long as the CF doesn't have to pay for it why would they care what soldiers are wearing on their feet?

X_para76 said:
Nor can I understand why the powers that be would be so opposed to troops wearing their own boots in the field or while on ops. As long as the CF doesn't have to pay for it why would they care what soldiers are wearing on their feet?

That's a whole other issue, and we don't know what the direction will be once there's finally boots in the system. I'm the first one to admit I love non-issue kit, and prefer a lot of it over issue stuff, but I'll give the Terra/Royer boots a fair shake, and if they work I'll keep wearing them.

So which of the three boots that were being trialled are the Royer/Terra? I hope the one with the zipper got cut.

My Company trialed the three new boots - general consensus was none were a particularly good replacement for our current boot (Most of the issues weren't regarding comfort, but rather that they fell apart during anything rigorous - like marching in the woods).

Maybe they have sorted out the durability issues?

NFLD Sapper said:
Probably by adding more glue to them.... ;D

Yeah... you can turn a T-bone into hamburger, but you can't make a T-bone out of hamburger.
If the boots are not satisfactory, make a new trial.

Back