• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

• Thread starter Thread starter Yard Ape
  • Start date Start date
Persistant aren't you!
I think if you read the ONE response, you will know.
Hint: Try SEARCH and I suspect all your queries (and more) will be answered.

Search. You need your entire Grade 10, not 1, not some. You need to have successfully passed Grade 10. Its on forces.ca. Next time, click search and type "Grade 10" and you will fine dozens of related posts.

I'm currently a reserve unit recruiter so I can fill in a little info for you.  Actually what you need is 6 High School credits.  They do not need to be just grade 10.  As long as you have ten total.  In Nova Scotia they must be "Academic" not "General"  If you have specific questions PM me and I can get you the most up to date info that is available.

You left out the other information (s)he was looking for, and has been discussed in detail; (s)he CAN NOT deploy unless they are eighteen years of age.

Old and Tired said:
I'm currently a reserve unit recruiter so I can fill in a little info for you.  Actually what you need is 6 High School credits.  They do not need to be just grade 10.  As long as you have ten total.  In Nova Scotia they must be "Academic" not "General"  If you have specific questions PM me and I can get you the most up to date info that is available.

It also varies by province in Ontario you need 15 credits by grade 10, giving you a fail space of 1 because you should have 16 by the time you are in grade 10.

That is why it isn't accurate when people say you simply need "grade 10" as you don't, you need 15.

And I know this, because I have 15 credits, not 16, and I was okay.

Mike

Learn something new everyday.  My info is obviously out of date or not complete.  The reference matrial that I have simply state 6 High School credits.  I did up an application today for some one that moved here from Ottawa.  His transcript from showed credits for Gr's 10 and 11.  I did think it somewhat odd that he had so many credits, but has not Graduated.

Thanks, I'll have to track this down in the handbook. :salute:

Old and Tired said:
Learn something new everyday.  My info is obviously out of date or not complete.  The reference matrial that I have simply state 6 High School credits.  I did up an application today for some one that moved here from Ottawa.  His transcript from showed credits for Gr's 10 and 11.  I did think it somewhat odd that he had so many credits, but has not Graduated.

Thanks, I'll have to track this down in the handbook. :salute:

Here.  From the Recruiter's Handbook (circa 2008):

Sift through it for your answers.

SECTION 7 - EDUCATION

227 Educational Systems
1. Academic standards and curricula vary across Canada, and between Canada and other countries. If in doubt about an applicant's academic achievements in relation to specific selection standards, contact your UPSO for clarification.

2. Applicants must have completed a minimum of Grade 10.  A lower grade level may be considered if there are compensating factors.  A waiver of the minimum education standard may only be granted through the UPSO (see Annex E to Chap 7).  Applicants for the PRes may begin processing prior to completion of Grade 10 provided that they are currently taking academic courses that will complete the grade 10 requirements.  PRes applicants will not be enrolled until it is confirmed that they have successfully completed grade 10.  Applicants who have not completed grade 10 should be briefed on the potential impact upon CFAT results and re-testing policy.

3. Credit Equivalency to Determine Grade Level.  It is sometimes difficult to determine when an applicant has met the Grade 10 eligibility requirement, particularly when graduation is based on completing a minimum number of credits as opposed to completing specific grade level.  Because of the variety of educational systems across Canada, it is not possible to establish a single definition of Grade 10.  The number of credits needed to meet the minimum eligibility education requirements for each province is listed in the following figure.

Figure 2-6
MINIMUM HIGH SCHOOL CREDITS/COURSES REQUIRED FOR CF ELIGIBILITY

Province              High School Credits    Credits/Courses          * Years/Grade
                            Courses * Required        Required for            for High School 
                              for Application          High School Leaving  Leaving Certificate
                                                                    Certificate

BC/Yukon                 6 courses                       19                            3 (10-12)

Alta/NWT               33 credits                     100                       3 (10-12)

Sask               8 credits                       24                       3 (10-12)

Man               7 credits                       20                       3 (10-12)

Ont             15 credits                       30                       4 (9-12)

Que             24 credits                       75                       5 (Sec III-V)

NB               6 credits                          18                       3 (10-12)

NS                5 credits                       17                       3(10-12)

PEI               6 credits                       18                        3 (10-12)

Nfld             12 credits                       36                            3 (10-12)

*  Number of courses/credits required at Senior High School level.

4. When in doubt as to whether an applicant satisfies the education requirements for CF eligibility, contact the UPSO.  As a general principle, in questionable cases, the applicant should be given the benefit of the doubt and offered the opportunity to initiate an application and write the CFAT.  Individuals who clearly do not meet the Grade 10 educational requirement should be counselled out.

RGR thanks GW.  I requested a new copy of the book after I saw the previous answer. I've been reading it for about the last hour.  Quite a few changes from what I was given on hand over from my predecessor.  Explains as well why he was encouraged to move on.  A great many things would seem to be out of date.  At least the application process is current.  I received an abbreviated brief and received all the current application forms.

Ok so I have a few questions about joining the reserves. So I live in newfoundland and the very first problem that i already came across is geting there. The Nearest  base is over 230 km away from me but What  i had in mine was to finish this year of school so i would be done grade 11 and be 17  join the Reserves for the summer. Then at the end of summer quit or if possible go on a ELOA and go back home and Complete  grade 12 and then join the reg force. Its my dream to be infantry and i have done everything that i could possible do from joining cadets to running  every week. some of the other questions that i had was do they have a place where i can stay or is that up to me? if so my plan was to put every pay check that i get into a taxi just to get back and forth each week. Also how often can we work/train because i wanna be as active as possible and when should i go about puting in my app as soon as possible or when i wanna get in. Any way I would like to thank every one that helps me out when they read this  and i hope to be a part of the family some day and Please if you can help me at all do so and not just put me down.

Don't bother joining the Reserves if you only plan on being in for the summer. Also it can take awhile to get through the recruiting process.  If your goal is to be Reg Force, than just go into the Reg Force after high school. There is no point in joining the Reserves then quitting shortly after, the Reserve unit won't get any benefit out of it, and you took a position away from someone who wants to actually be in the Reserves.

Also, unless you are course loaded for Basic, you won't be working in the summer as Reserve units tend to close around May/June(?) and don't become active again untill Sept/

Yea you had very good points there. So even if it comes to cleaning the base or just being a cook for the two months it would not be worth it ?

masterdetla said:
Yea you had very good points there. So even if it comes to cleaning the base or just being a cook for the two months it would not be worth it ?

Exactly.  Your expectations in your post are not realistic.

masterdetla said:

Just get a normal summer job as that sounds like all you are after.  And who would you cook for if no one is around? Also you don't just show up and become a cook.. you'd have to complete Basic Training then goto CFSAL in CFB Borden and complete Cook QL3 and that would take 2 summers in the Reserves, or one if you did a fall/weekend BMQ.

Hello everyone, I have came here to ask A few questions about joining the Reserves. First of I live in Newfoundland and at this time I am in grade 11/ and Sea cadets, I have been in Cadets for over four years and I hold the rank of PO2. My biggest question here tonight is to do with me being so far away from the Reserve base, It is over 285km away from where I live. The base is in ST.Johns, It`s not that I don`t want to make that drive but it`s the facted that there is going to be times when I just can`t drive, The only answer I have came up with is that I use the money I make and put it towards  taxis the hole time. :facepalm:
My next question is would they even want me, due to that fact I live so far away. Anyway thanks for all the help guys and I look forward hearing back from you :salute:

The only answer I have came up with is that I use the money I make and put it towards  taxis the hole time.
A 285km ride would be an awfully expensive taxi fare, more than you would be making in a night's parade.

The reserves do have a commuting allowance IIRC.
Is there not a limit to how far away you can be and how close you can be for that to be in effect? If so, I would assume he is out of range.

CDN Aviator said:
The reserves do have a commuting allowance IIRC.

But it has limits. We should wait and see if someone from the R Nfld R is available to let us know how generous the commuting assistance can be for units in St John's. I suspect, but do not know, that it may not be enough to offset that long a commute.

Back