• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

You'll need to be clean shaven. So yes, every day.  Try some of those tips, especially if you haven't
tried them before. Perhaps there is an easy way around the problem waiting to be discovered.

If not, then speak with a doctor. A doctor can suggest other treatment or referal to a dermatologist.
Once your in, discuss it with the medical staff. Chits to restrict shaving are possible.

It would be a medical document the medical staff would place on your file and give you a copy of.
Simply put, It would give you specific instructions. In this case, no shaving.

familyman,

My advice about the in-grown hair.

I have always shaved with a normal razor, and always thought that I had acne. Until I learned it was ingrown hair! Not nice at all, since my face was smooth as a baby's @ss. Anywho, I got some very good tips and I'll share them with you.

1. Always shave with the grain. Not as close a shave, but I found NO ingrown hair. This is about the best tip I can give. I've seen commercials, as well as other people going against the grain. It feels a little better, BUT it can cause the hair to grow back in the skin and cause it to get red, swelled, and irritated.

2. Before shaving, lather, then put on shaving cream. Shave, then rinse and use after shave or a gel. Does the face a world of good.

3. Always shave with lukewarm to cold water. This is easier on the face and extends the life of your blade considerably. If you shave in hot water, many say that the blade expands considerably then contracts, and after a shave or 2, the edge can be dulled bigtime.

4. Don't use dull blades..(Duh, lol)

If you haven't tried these, do so. If you have.. then I guess this post was a waste of time, lol! :)

Just follow the advice in the links above.  I have problems with ingrown hair with i have to shave on a consistent basis, and after consulting with my dermatoligist, he basically gave me the same advice as posted in the links.  (however he couldn't conivce me to give up my M3 power, although i really should they are expensive.)

Fry said:
2. Before shaving, lather, then put on shaving cream. Shave, then rinse and use after shave or a gel. Does the face a world of good.

3. Always shave with lukewarm to cold water. This is easier on the face and extends the life of your blade considerably. If you shave in hot water, many say that the blade expands considerably then contracts, and after a shave or 2, the edge can be dulled bigtime.

as an addendum to whats above if wet shaving try and do it after you shower so the heat and moisture will have allowed the hair to get nice and soft, also do NOT use alcohol based after shaves or gels it will dry out your skin and make the problems worse.  Also never, never, never shave with cold water unless you want to rip apart your face.  I dunno who told you that fry but they are off the mark.

Before we start, here is the except from the Dress regulations CFP 265:

Moustaches (see Figure 2-2-2). When
moustaches are worn alone, the
unshaven portion of the face shall not
extend outwards beyond the corners of
the mouth. Moustaches shall be kept
neatly trimmed; not be greater than 2
cm (3/4 in.) in bulk; not extend below
the corners of the mouth, not protrude
beyond the width of the face when fully
extended horizontally and worn in a
waxed, handlebar style.

But this is not about that.

I did notice, while watching the news coverage of the PRT, the large, bulbous moustaches several of the NCOs were sporting. Is this the new style? Being a moustache wearer myself, I know large moustaches act as an efficient catcher of dust, and other airborne contaminants. The caught items will stay in the hair and be breathed in at a later time, causing problems. This is the reason why season allergy suffers should keep their 'staches trimmed.

My point, while the large moustache may be stylish at home, in my humble opinion everyone would be better served maintaining a trimmed small moustache that doesn't catch a whole bunch of dust.

Also shaving...It is encouraged, no...demanded that everyone shaves every day. For some (a minority group of them) soldiers shaving every day is somewhat impractical due to a shortage of water. Even then, not shaving is only tolerated for a short period of time.

It is insisted because it shows a high level of discipline and good personal hygiene....

So is the unwillingness complete the regimine of daily personal hygiene due predominately from fashion trends or traditional friction to the rules?

Thoughts.

Your points re: hygiene are valid.
However, specifically in regard to the PRT, there are mitigating factors
(i.e. "When in Rome, do as the Romans ..." is equally applicable in the predominantly Muslim culture of Afghanistan)

Facial hair seems to make Arabs more open to you and more approachable.

Ex-Dragoon said:

(i.e. "When in Rome, do as the Romans ..." is equally applicable in the predominantly Muslim culture of Afghanistan)

After working with the Afghan National Army for the last 6 months...with all due respect, I call BS on that.

The majority of males in Afghanistan do not have an abundance of facial hair, nor (as far as I understand) do they put as much wieght on the facial hair as the apparant age of the man they are dealing with.

Ex-Dragoon said:

Ex-Dragoon,

That is quite possibly true.  Unfortunately Afghans are not Arab so it's not really applicable.  Afghan is pretty much synonymous with Pashtun who are closer to Iranian (i.e. Persian).  Some Arab families or tribes were assimilated into Pashtun families during the Islamic invasions but they became Pashtun, not the other way around.

Arabs and Persians (Iranians) and their Afghan cousins (Pashtuns especially) respect age, as Armymedic says. Facial hair in and of itself is not an object of veneration, and the wild beards of the Taliban (an affectation based on religious practice) are actually not admired much any more in Afghanistan (like many Taliban practices). That being said, facial hair can alter one's appearance to look more aged, especially a grey or greying beard, which will cause more respect to be offered.

Allowing soldiers to grow facial hair on the assumption that it will gain them more respect is dangerous. In fact, being respectful in your dealings with the locals will produce enough respect for you to succeed in your mission.

Acorn

Our translator in Afghanistan was a rather frank and open type of guy, and he told us we seemed to be modelling ourselves after women, with reference to our daily shaving.

And in regards to the "western, mountain man" way of doing things, sigs guys grow bellies all the time, we grow moustaches on tour. Same $hit, different pile - right  :D

Seriously though, most of the Patricia CSM's seem to form an aversion to upper lip shaving, though mostly on tour, and men of all ranks have sported impressive growths imaginitively colored with chew spit and nicotine - it's like art!!

GO!!! said:
Our translator in Afghanistan was a rather frank and open type of guy, and he told us we seemed to be modelling ourselves after women, with reference to our daily shaving.

And in regards to the "western, mountain man" way of doing things, sigs guys grow bellies all the time, we grow moustaches on tour. Same $hit, different pile - right   :D

Seriously though, most of the Patricia CSM's seem to form an aversion to upper lip shaving, though mostly on tour, and men of all ranks have sported impressive growths imaginitively colored with chew spit and nicotine - it's like art!!

It's like the NDHQ dishevelled, wrinkled, dandruffy wild-man 20 year captain look!  ^-^

The reason I made that assumption about the 'mountain-man' thing is because there are a few PPCLI CWO types walking around here (NDHQ  :-[) and one or two of them have the crazy biker 'stache going on. Makes me wish that I could grow facial hair. hehe

Honestly I fail to see why shaving is hygenic - bathing yes - but I dont know about you but my face is allegic to Afghan Poo dust w/o at least about a weeks worth of facial hair.

Secondly I'd be musch more worried what one weapons and kit where maintained like in a COMBAT theatre rather than some Garrision mentality of what a solider should look like...

Is it true that you do not have to shave more than ONCE in every 24 hour period? On my BMQ I was "awarded" many red chits for not shaving even though I had shaven properly that morning. It ended up that I had to shave 3 times in every 24 hour period to satisfy my course staff, maybe I should see if I can get a refund for 2/3 of the razors I used...

KevinB said:
...Secondly I'd be musch more worried what one weapons and kit where maintained like in a COMBAT theatre rather than some Garrision mentality of what a solider should look like...

It's simply a relaxation of the chickensh*t. It happens on Ex and on tour.

Not waxing the 'stache daily + a little longer and thicker than usual = no big deal.

KevinB nailed it good.

In addition to Army Medics earlier post in regards to his experience with the ANA, I would also like to point out that the differences between Kabul and Kandahar are significant, in regards to most people and their reactions towards you.

Perhaps we are comparing apples and oranges with the ISAF mission in Kabul and the PRT in Kandahar?

And besides, big staches are cool because;

1) you can compete with them
2) Officers get mad about them - but can't stop you
3) you can save chew in them
4) Chicks dig a man with an impressive stache
5) They give you wicked tan lines when your girlfriend makes you shve it off after the BTE
6) Most girls in the army can't grow them

GO!!! said:
In addition to Army Medics earlier post in regards to his experience with the ANA, I would also like to point out that the differences between Kabul and Kandahar are significant, in regards to most people and their reactions towards you.

Not in this situation because I was dealing with Afghans soldiers from all over the country, not just Kabul. One of the Kandak doctors was from the south.

Perhaps we are comparing apples and oranges with the ISAF mission in Kabul and the PRT in Kandahar?
The two missions are definitely diffrent types of fruit...but the only culture we are dealing with in this discussion is our own.

KevinB said:
Secondly I'd be musch more worried what one weapons and kit where maintained like in a COMBAT theatre rather than some Garrision mentality of what a solider should look like...

Actually, I would be worried about the whole soldier, kit and all...If you can't find time or effort to take care of yourself and shave once ever 3-4 days, then when will you find the time to take care of your kit in the COMBAT theater...

BTW does anyone know where it actually says "shave every day" ? Because it does not say that in the dress regs....

I got that shitsucking flea bite - so I did not have to shave  ;D

As long as the guy washes (when he can) I dont see shaving as a hygeine issue.

GO!!! has the best point though - CDI  ;)

Back