• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

I'm quite prone to razor burn myself, and I find that shaving before I shower helps a lot.  I think that the oil that's on your skin before you wash it off helps to protect it.  Also I find that an alcohol based aftershave makes a big difference, not sure why, but it does.  You will also find that as you shave more the problem becomes less. 

Of course you could always grow a big ZZTop beard!  >:D

Best of luck,

Brodie

I always get razor burn on my neck, but not any more, I use Neutrogena Men skin clearing shave cream and aftershave, and I shave in the shower with a Mach 3.

Like everyone above said, it's razor burn.

It could be caused from a number of reasons.  I had that when I first joined.  I was used to shaving once a week, then to shaving every day, my skin couldn't take it.

The more you shave, the tougher your skin will become.  After a few weeks of shaving every day, I didn't get razor burn anymore. 

I used standard shaving cream.  Nothing special.

I would not recommend becoming dependant on a shower in order to shave.  It does not work in the field.

Well, yeah, I would definitly just follow the advice of these guys....but also watch, because it could be the shaving cream you are using....you might be allergic to it.  That's what happened to one of the guys on my BRT, we all thought it was rasor burn....but it turned out he was allergic to something in the cream.  It's doubtful that that is what it is, so no worries, but just a sidenote.

Sometimes i shave with  no cream (some people think im nuts!) but no red bumps? I have Edge Aloe Vera based cream and it works but i still get some bumps. Could this be a reaction or just the fact that i tend to press harder on my face with the cream on, then with it not on

hmmm, I would switch to a different brand, maybe you are having a reaction, that is if you aren't getting bumps when you shave without it.  Maybe try the sensitive skin one...

I had this problem once, and I started using a face lotion before I shaved, and it helped. If you go to a grocery store, in the shaving section you might be able to find it. It's called "Lectric Shave" and it's like a lubricant for your face that you put on before you put on the shaving cream. It comes in a little blue bottle and is about $5.  Worked wonders for me.

Oh, and what's been stated above, the more you shave, the less razor burn you will get. Either your face gets tougher, or cutting off the shorter hairs is easier, or both. I don't know but it works.

There's different brands of shavin oil.  You can order this one on-line:

http://kitshop.ppcli.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=204&osCsid=fb6e541e5c4ed7880e82324ef5d8e6a0

Or my preference, plain baby oil. It's all I use. No foam, soap, etc. Just baby oil. Good close, clean shave and no irritation.

I had similar problems, until an old cadet friend of mine suggested that I shave at night, before I pack it in. Six to seven hours later, when I get up, I find that the shave has "lasted," and any irritation that might have occurred right after shaving has gone away. This is especially useful on winter exercises, as shaving before bed allows for the oils that protect one's face from windburn etc to regenerate as one sleeps.

Unless your beard grows in very quickly, this method should work.

1. Always use a sharp blade, when it gets dull, throw it out.
2. Use the warmest water your face can stand.
3. Try Barbasol Sensitive Skin shaving cream. I bought some when I first started shaving and it worked really well.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?Is it a worth while addition to a shave kit?Any testimonials would be appreciated.

I've used a different brand shaving oil a couple of times.  Makes shaving more comfortable but I noticed it clogged up my razor and it was hard to clean out of the Mach3 (switched to dispossables in my field bag).  Now a days I use an electric razor...simple and fast and easy but I keep the oil and a dispossable just in case.

Redeye said:
In an arctic tent, I find it uses less water than most people need to shave.  I'm trying to find a way to just have a little container (like film container but differently shaped) to hold rinse water in an efficient fashion so I don't need to use my canteen cup...

how bout those plastic travel soap containers?, there big enough to rinse a razor, and will hold just about enough water

my two pence

This stuff is OK, not great, but not bad.  I second the motion of just getting the little Braun single foil razor form a Canex or Sears.  It costs 12 bucks in the most simple form, and takes batteries the army gives you.  I have two of them, I bought a new one when the blade got dull on the old one, as the complete shaver is 20 bucks less than the replacement blade.  You can get this oil at some walmarts, and I have seen it in Zellers.  Body Shop also has something sort of like this in a little silver can.

The shaving oil is great! Not great for use outside of the home though, for many of the reasons mentioned (clogs razor, need for water etc.). It is also expensive. To get around that, I make my own! The main ingredient ,"Olus", is actually vegetable oil! Add some tea tree oil, some menthol oil and -ta da- instant shaving oil for 1/20th the cost of Somersets!

Duke

I just use Johnson's Baby Oil and it works fine. Cheap and effective.

Baby oil. Great idea! Cheap, and it softens the skin as well. When I run out of my industrial sized supply of home made Somerset's, I'll give it a try.

Duke

Smell like diapers. Chicks dig that.

The old de-congestant spray bottles work well for that sort of thing. I have hydrogen peroxide for my blister kit in one, and I am going to put some of this cool oil in another. Just make the texture of the bottles is different, so you don't actually use the oil for blisters, or the hydrogen peroxide for nasal spray........or now, your shaving oil for either.

Back