• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

BIOTHERM .. comes in a square bottle... about 20 something bucks from shoppers drugmart in the cosmetic section... works awesome and helps prevent you from getting rasor burn in the future whether you use it everytime or not

Shave using unscented baby oil, instead of foam or soap. Same as shaving oil, but way cheaper.

Well, i'm back from BMQ..sadly I VR'd for a personal reason...I did some thinking and I think I made a bad move quitting highschool to join the Army..I should have just waited till I graduated. The guy who interviewed me even said.."I strongly, STRONGLY encourage you to graduate, give me your word that you will graduate sometime in your life". So i'm going to graduate and go back to BMQ after summer  ^-^

Alright so now that we got that little story out of the way.

Shaving.

Don't lie to your instructors about shaving in the morning because they can spot a piece of stubble from down the hall and it will just make you look bad in the end. The trick is honesty--I learned that the hard way when I was in the PAT Platoon office and I had forgotten to shave that morning. Having two Master Seamen inspecting your face on both sides of you, laughing at you and telling you to go to the bathroom and shave with whatever you can find is not a good way of leaving an impression :p

Next.

Before I arrived to St.Jean, I always use to shave with an electric razor. The new routine of shaving every morning with a 'manual' razor was brutal for me. My face bled, my neck was red for hours, I started to get skin bumps which I cut open every morning while shaving...my advice is simple:

Learn how to shave.

The last thing you want is your face to start sweating during your morning PT and irritating your face the whole morning.

I have a tip for everyone who will be attending the next winter BMQ. When you have razor burn and you're doing pushups outside in -30 degree weather with your hands in a puddle of slush...everytime you go down for a push up, lay each side of your face on the ice, it helps.

AlHab said:
BIOTHERM .. comes in a square bottle... about 20 something bucks from shoppers drugmart in the cosmetic section... works awesome and helps prevent you from getting rasor burn in the future whether you use it everytime or not

Unscented Lubriderm/Keri Lotion is much cheaper and you can get it in large tubes. Doesn't matter if you use an electric shaver or razor blades, just wash all the shaving cream/electric preshave lotion off your face pat dry and apply just enough lotion on you finger tips to spread an even thin layer of of the stuff around neck/problem areas.  Keeps the follicles soft and helps replenish your skins natural moisture.

My $0.02

1.  I have always shaved IN the shower.  If you have been shaving for a while, you don't really need a mirror do you?  The water stream does a better job of flushing out the blades than a tap I find. 
2.  Splurge and buy good razors.  I know the Mach 3's are expensive, but I find I can get 20+ shaves out of them and I have a fairly thick moustache/goatee area.  When they get a bit dull, ditch them right away. 
3.  MY BIG SECRET:  I have always used womens shave gel to shave with.  I'm sure that puts me under H.S. but I can take it.  The womens products have additives like vitamin E and aloe that are both good for skin that is prone to razor burn.  Plus, if you are shaving in the shower (see #1) and wash your body after you shave, you will scrub off any unmanly scent that may be with the product.  And unlike any other womens products [hrm, that I only buy for my wife, cough, cough]  it seems to be cheaper than mens shave gel. 

When I was in the field, I used sun tan lotion.  It felt like I was rubbing turpentine into my raw face, but it also has the excellent side effect of making cam stick come off like a bris.  Then you also don't have to carry a pressurized cannister of goo in your kit that will almost guaranteed open and deploy on your kit at the worst possible time.

I may just upgrade my mach 3 to the new Gilette Fusion, 5 frickin blades! ;D  http://www.gillette.com/men/index_fusion.htm

They don't make that much money from the shaver, they make most of the money from the replacement blades which always cost a fortune

hey, stupid question:

I took the advice here and went out and bought shaving "cream" (junk that looks like toothpaste), instead of a pressurized can of say "gillette shave gel". That being said, on my kit list for BMQ it says "Shaving cream, can". Now, will my having this tube of shaving cream instead of a can be a big deal? or is it just symantics? Cheers -Cameron

Hansol said:
hey, stupid question:

I took the advice here and went out and bought shaving "cream" (junk that looks like toothpaste), instead of a pressurized can of say "gillette shave gel". That being said, on my kit list for BMQ it says "Shaving cream, can". Now, will my having this tube of shaving cream instead of a can be a big deal? or is it just symantics? Cheers -Cameron

Go buy a can....leave it in your locker layout and never use it.  Stash the tube and use that !!

lol thanks Aesop. Always with the timely replies to my stupid questions.

SoF said:
Lol I'v always wondered how many blades they'll put on that thing. I used to think they would stop after 3.

Number of blades is something that people can quantify and attemp to relate to the quality of the shave the razor will give.

Has anyone actually used the ones with the batteries in them that are supposed to give off a magnetic field?  I think that transcends the definition of useless technology.  I suppose eventually there will be a razor made of hundreds of tiny lasers that zap each hair to below the surface FOR THE ULTIMATE SHAVE!!! [Insert rugged tool with full makeup supermodel fawning over him]

I shaved with an electric razor every morning of BIQ, right before PT.  It takes about 3 minutes which left 2 minutes to make it outside.  i slept in my PT gear on top of my bed as often as possible.  Keep the electric razor in your civvie locker and have an inspection set of shave kit just in case (our locker layout was almost never inspected on BIQ).  I'm not sure if this plan would work at St. Jean, but perhaps later when you're under less supervision in the morning.

zipperhead_cop said:
Has anyone actually used the ones with the batteries in them that are supposed to give off a magnetic field?  I think that transcends the definition of useless technology.  I suppose eventually there will be a razor made of hundreds of tiny lasers that zap each hair to below the surface FOR THE ULTIMATE SHAVE!!! [Insert rugged tool with full makeup supermodel fawning over him]

I have that razor.  The technology behind it is that it vibrates and gives off ultrasonic waves which raise the hair off the skin to get a closer shave.  I don't find it has a difference from any other razor.  I think it's mostly a placebo effect.

This may sound crazy, but honestly it works!  After you shave, use a bit of baby powder.  It stops the razor burn and gets rid of the pimples, and ingrown hairs. 

GO Navy!

Well I must say I have never spent so much time reading about Men's razor burn.  While being female that is a rare occurrence and certainly not observable on inspection.  I have attached a link and hope this helps. 
I was taught to shave men at the start of my education as a nurse and I have never caused anyone razor burn.  Any who here goes  :)

http://www.ezinearticles.com/?Razor-Burn---Seven-Tips-On-How-To-Prevent-It&id=76

Hot Lips

Quag said:
I have that razor.  The technology behind it is that it vibrates and gives off ultrasonic waves which raise the hair off the skin to get a closer shave.  I don't find it has a difference from any other razor.  I think it's mostly a placebo effect.

I always get razor bumps in the same part on my neck, but when I use one of those vibrating razors the irritation isn't as bad and the redness isn't as noticable. I doubt you'd notice a difference though if you didn't have shaving problems.

Every single course, the instructors deal with kids who think that they have found a new way to 'fool the guards'.  Watch 'An officer and a  gentleman' for lessons on what happens when the con gets found it!

You can fool them with the old 'bait and switch routine', having a 'show' razor and a used one hidden away, bu they will find it eventually.  I recommend disposables, and lots of them.     

Electric razors work for those with fuzzy down, but those with darker beards will find themselves using razors to avoid getting 'pepperoni breath' from an outraged instructor. Also difficult to clean if they insist you put it on display for inspection. IMO, only good if you get the battery-operated ones for use on the field.

Hint 1: already mentioned, use a lubricated gel for sensitive skin.
Hint 2: buy a proper razor! most of that cheap junk will tear your face up after weeks of shaving. No Bics or other bargain basement brands. I recommend Schick ST twin blades, disposable and good steel (also prefered by my wife when she shaves her legs, haha).

- Apologies for brand name use, the person promoting this product is in no way related to the company.   

I was down in the states yesterday and bought myself a gilette fusion ;D. It was $8 or $9 and came with a free travel case and 2 blades (one attached to the handle), manuel version ofcourse as I think the battery opperated ones are useless. At $14 for a 4pack of replacement blades I'll have to stretch out these 2 blades throughout basic. Anyone know yet as to when the fusion will be released in Canada?

Back