• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

cupper said:
Two points.

One: Until you actually go through the process, you really won't know how difficult it is. Imagination and reality are sometimes two different things.

Two: If foot problems lead to a medical release, do you think you could afford the time then?
One:  I've been down the road before and ended up more confused then anything.  Current situation could be better, sure.

Two: Ha.  I doubt my exit from the forces will be predicated by foot problems.

To the replacement issue, when I was in the desert in 06 I got boots quicker from Canada then I did through supply. Common size etc

Sheep Dog AT said:
To the replacement issue, when I was in the desert in 06 I got boots quicker from Canada then I did through supply. Common size etc

In that late 90s, I had a friend in Africa (one of two or three Canadians on that mission).  His boots went missing.  When he managed to get someone in the DCDS shop to take his call, after hemming and hawing he was finally told that his stolen boots couldn't be replaced until the MP report was received.

Was boot quality as much of a problem when we only had the Mk IIIs?

I wore those things for thousands of miles without a problem, as did lots of other guys I know in various UK units who were glad to get their feet in a pair (including guys who used them Falklands War and various SF units).

The Mk IVs and CWWB are just awful in comparison IMHO, which drives people into spending a fortune on civvy boots. Or maybe I'm just getting older and crankier?  :nod:

I had to stop wearing Mk IIIs as they cannot for orthotics, and my back would go wonky within 30 minutes.

The new GP boot is ok, but too heavy.

I may be an anomaly in this thread, but I actually like the GS boots.  Yes, they're heavier than SWATs, but they're quite comfortable (with my orthotics) and the price is right.

Haggis said:
I may be an anomaly in this thread, but I actually like the GS boots.  Yes, they're heavier than SWATs, but they're quite comfortable (with my orthotics) and the price is right.

I'm like you.  I use the GS Boots for everything including field work.  The only time I pull out my SWATs if for BFTs and marching PT because I find it has countered my shin splints.

If only DLR would find a way of writing an SOR where the actual answer was Mk III with Vibram sole.

Good2Golf said:
If only DLR would find a way of writing an SOR where the actual answer was Mk III with Vibram sole.

Our 'combat boot' Mk I, II, III were non safety versions of Greb Kodiaks made in black.

I wonder if anyone asked Greb to just change the sole.

recceguy said:
Our 'combat boot' Mk I, II, III were non safety versions of Greb Kodiaks made in black.

That would be expecting the procurement system to use logic and reason.

recceguy said:

Kind of like these?

http://www.military1st.co.uk/bbooass-british-army-assault-boots.html

Those assault boots don't look breathable at all, but that sole is leaps and bounds above the Mk3 boot sole.

Funny thing is, you see some people trying to find old Mk3s in the system (or elsewhere) for the "been there, done that" factor these days.

I have a pair of Haix P9 desert boots the military bought for me in 2007 and I still wear them in civvies.  The sole is indestructible, the goretex still functions and I love them.  The fabric on the back has split but is still functional.  It was the most simple process to get them: we were being fitted for desert boots, I approached the counter to mention to them that I had special issue boots for my orthotics and happened to get the MWO in charge, he looked at me, wrote the LPO and sent me into town to pick the boots I wanted.

Smple. And this is in Valcartier!

Matt_Fisher said:
Like the 'Tiger Team' report that a former CLS put together to 'Fix the Tac-Vest Problem' only to have that initiative quashed by budgetary cutbacks?  ...UCRs were submitted, DLR became aware of the equipment shortcoming and started a corrective course of action, then program scaled back and now effectively terminated.

Well we're not fighting a war, why do we need warfighting equipment now? Fishing vest will work just fine....

Alternatively why not just issue certain kit to certain troops ie. only issue front line troops with the high speed webbing, plate carriers and the rest. The rest of the army, navy, and airforce rear echelon and support trades can carry on using the old tac vests and what ever else they're issued to carry to their desks.

If only there were still fron lines in battle... COIN won't allow that to happen and a clerk can suddenly find themselves on the pointy end in a heartbeat.

Fair enough but that's not a clerks main function. I'm sure if they have to they'll make do with what they have. However, troops who's job it is to be in harms way should have the correct kit for the job they're doing.

The problem lies in attempting to define what "the correct kit for the job they're doing" is.  Ever watch a kit discussion here (or in unit lines)?  Every kit slut is convinced that their setup is perfect and anything else is hopeless.  There is no consensus - other than "Issue kit sucks", which, when you press the topic, results in no useful insights as to why it sucks, or how to make it better.

Back