• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

Ukraine now 3km further into Russia near Kursk with a mechanised brigade assault and air cover than Russia was during the rebuffed Karkiv offensive. A bit more mass than a raid into good tank country that does not have in depth defenses and minefields.

Even if not militarily operationally sound, it will have an outsized effect in the Russian psyche and cause reduction of many of the pre-positioned forces Russia was about to launch against Ukraine.

Maybe their play is to take and hold some ground - if there is a 'front line freeze' and a visit to the bargaining table, having some territory of Russia's to 'exchange' for some of Ukraine's land might be handy.
Looks to be beautiful tank country

Ukraine now 3km further into Russia near Kursk with a mechanised brigade assault and air cover than Russia was during the rebuffed Karkiv offensive. A bit more mass than a raid into good tank country that does not have in depth defenses and minefields.

Even if not militarily operationally sound, it will have an outsized effect in the Russian psyche and cause reduction of many of the pre-positioned forces Russia was about to launch against Ukraine.
I wonder if there is any chance that the Ukrainians are going for broke and are trying to capture the nuclear power station just west of Kursk......now that would be one large bargaining chip....

Another piece of information to chew on - the 'Head of the Lgov region' (west of Kursk Nuclear Power station by about 12km) is denying that there are ongoing clashes in his district.

If he's lying and there are clashing in his region, then the Ukkies are pretty darn close to the Nuc plant.

I’ve seen nothing suggesting Ikraine is remotely close (in any relevant terms) to the Kursk NPP. Could I conceive of them trying to get there, safely shut it down, then destroy enough equipment to keep it safely offline for a long time? Sure, maybe? But that would involve fighting at/in an NPP- hugely dangerous, and potentially into war crimes territory (“works containing dangerous forces”). I don’t see it as something you risk an army corps over.

They have some sort of more straightforward strategic objective, it’s just not really apparent to me as of yet. Maybe it is just a strategic spoiler, and jamming some sticks in the spokes of Russian logistics, plus forcing Russia to lose some initiative and forces in repositioning?

Anyway, be interesting to see how this plays out.

Back