• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

This super armour will solve all the CF's problems (or Revenge of the Bear Suit)

There's a lot of speculation that the guy's a nut, but he's dedicated...  he nearly had be convinced till he reached down and whipped out his c[l]ock.

There is no speculation that he is a nut. He's brilliant, but nuts. Having grown up in the same city as Mr Hurtubise I would not be suprised if he actually made a couple of working versions of said suit. There as an article in the local newspaper about him claiming the CIA was breaking into his garage and stealing his secrets. He's the kind of guy I expect to be running around with tinfoil on his head. However, knowing him, he's probably created a nano-fibreous material that has the same effect as tinfoil, without the embarrassment of actually wearing the foil.

First problem i can see with this suit is that it looks very flimsy - like it was fashioned out of old hockey gear or something. Second thing is that it's a series of independant/unconnected plates hung from various parts of his body. That will protect those parts of his body from frag but it does nothing to stop his extrmeties or his head from going in a different direction than the rest of him. But most of all it looks extremely bukly and restrictive. Rather than watching some guy act out his halo/star wars fantasies in front of the camera wearing this, i'd like to see an infantryman put this on and attempt to carry out all of the motor fucntions one would use in combat - particualry operating a long barreled weapon and accessing kit.

And lastly, i can't help but laugh at cheezy radio shack brand gadgets attached to his suit. A cock clock? A handheld voice recorder for recoding you last words before yoiu die? A cellpphone?? He can't be serious. It seems like this thing was designed to do one thing - look cool, which IMO it fails at even that.

Ham Sandwich said:
First problem i can see with this suit is that it looks very flimsy - like it was fashioned out of old hockey gear or something. Second thing is that it's a series of independant/unconnected plates hung from various parts of his body. That will protect those parts of his body from frag but it does nothing to stop his extrmeties or his head from going in a different direction than the rest of him. But most of all it looks extremely bukly and restrictive. Rather than watching some guy act out his halo/star wars fantasies in front of the camera wearing this, i'd like to see an infantryman put this on and attempt to carry out all of the motor fucntions one would use in combat - particualry operating a long barreled weapon and accessing kit.

And lastly, i can't help but laugh at cheezy radio shack brand gadgets attached to his suit. A **** clock? A handheld voice recorder for recoding you last words before yoiu die? A cellpphone?? He can't be serious. It seems like this thing was designed to do one thing - look cool, which IMO it fails at even that.

it's a tech demonstrator, you can't expect someone to sink millions of dollars into something like the big corprations do. He has several very successful patents, yes he is a bit nutty, but he is the type to push technology down new paths.

While I do enjoy the idea and we've all played some video games sporting a heavily armored good guy cutting swaths through untold numbers of baddies, but I cant help to think this will only create more problems.
Back to the old idea well if you have a stick, I'll get a bigger stick and attach a rock to it. And from the posts ive read this guy doesnt really have a vote of sanity on his side.
I like what was said about the hearts and minds, it would be very difficult to communicate effectivly with people, and ive never been a PR guy but i have to say its a valid point. And do we really wanna be called butchers? Lets think for a moment if we equipted our soldiers with these suits and in a combat scenario a section of this soldiers whiped out a force 3 times there size while being a brilliant military victory seen by our forces and of the family members of those lives saved by the protective suits, other people of more liberal views may not appreiciate it.
So it is an interesting prospect of armored soldiers expecially to people of the combat arms and the Infantry, and I like the thought of keeping our brothers in arms further from harms way, i dont know if the public or our government is ready to fund that kind of endevour enough to make it a viable and effective fighting force.

I just noticed he has a facebook group now, with some videos posted. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18886812150

He seems pretty determined to make his suit available.

Oh it get's better.

www.inventortroy.com

Intro caption:

"Only one man can see through solid matter, withstand temperatures 3600 degrees and stop an army of bullets. Troy the new superhero."

Riiiiight. We take him seriously. He has some new pics of his new body armor.

I love how he is using a tippmann A5 paintball marker in his pics. It doesn't look like he can sight down the marker due to the helmet.

I have to admit this guy has invented some cool stuff, but his delivery is a bit nuts.

Nites

A bit nuts??? Did you see his videos on the facebook group that linked to youtube ? That my friend is a rather large understatement you made. Make me wonder though, where he gets all this money to make these crazy things.

Exoskeletons are real, but have some mobility issues. The backpack on the "Bleex" isn't what the guy can carry; its the motor that makes it work!

OTOH, if there are alien creatures in the AOR, then there is nothing better than this:

Chapeski said:
A bit nuts??? Did you see his videos on the facebook group that linked to youtube ? That my friend is a rather large understatement you made. Make me wonder though, where he gets all this money to make these crazy things.

successful patents. Certain hockey equipment being one of them.

As crazy as it look and sound ? The USA army have use cloning tech. fro Predator Show for camouflage.
It show's  like Star Trek or Predator that give insight to make it real from fiction.
Somebody dream can turn into reality. He sound off his nut but guys like him become millionaire.
If he come up with some thing good for him.

Troy has 2 new great inventions.
The military has been testing these recently.

There are a few new youtube videos available - check out the Bags (video titled Obama and McCain) as well as my NEW Tojan S Series videos.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q82MGJayLpw LIMBC

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RoyPaK2-Y5Q TROJAN

You can also visit the official Troy website, www.inventortroy.com

You thought the bear suit testing was crazy... wait until you see the Trojan S Series testing. Footage to come soon on the website! Stay Tuned! See what all the hype is about

troy_hurtubise said:
Troy has 2 new great inventions.
The military has been testing these recently.

There are a few new youtube videos available - check out the Bags (video titled Obama and McCain) as well as my NEW Tojan S Series videos.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q82MGJayLpw LIMBC

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RoyPaK2-Y5Q TROJAN

You can also visit the official Troy website, www.inventortroy.com

You thought the bear suit testing was crazy... wait until you see the Trojan S Series testing. Footage to come soon on the website! Stay Tuned! See what all the hype is about

I've gotta say, that new TROJAN suit is really interesting. I wasn't sure at all about the previous ones but now I'll definitely be keeping track of what this guy does. I recommend checking that video out.

At least ;you got to give him points for trying".
He know his stuff but not a super sales men? :cdn: :salute:

Here are some new videos of testing his armor:

Soft Armor
pt.1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJl76ZnKAPA
pt. 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ8AE8z7unY

Body Armor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GOO1aZmD-k

That looks really impressive to "me" at least, but I'm not exactly an expert. Can someone with some solid knowledge on armor say if this is significant? That soft armor is definitely a lot better than the kevlar armor although for his second video with the chestplate I didn't see it compared to the dragonskin quite yet (temporary budget issues maybe). Considering the light weight and effectiveness it's looking to be pretty good armor in its own right, even if the suit doesn't work out (although it seems this really works well with his full-suit formula). Cheap and easy replacement seems convenient.

One thing is for sure... the suit looks pretty damned cool  8)

TacticalW said:
That looks really impressive to "me" at least, but I'm not exactly an expert. Can someone with some solid knowledge on armor say if this is significant? That Troy's soft armor is definitely a lot better than the a particular make of NIJ II tested kevlar armor  ...
Don't be so easily sold on this, and in particular don't let this little video convince you that Hurtubise's product is right for the military. 

1.  He makes claims to the effect that the depth of displacement of the first two shots are immeasurably insignificant.  However. the fact that he does not measure after each shot means that we cannot actually know the displacement caused by the first two shots.  Note that at the end of the test the surface is shaved in order to remove material which was bulged forward due to the displacement of the armour into the clay during impact.  This same displacement of clay will make the depth of penetration of previous shots appear shallower as consecutive shots land near & displace clay.  While his display looks good, it does not demonstrate if his product will or will not meet NIJ II standard.  If he wants to prove that he meets or exceeds the standard, he should test his product according to the standard.

2.  While Mr Hurtubise reiterates that his product is as light & less expensive, he does not discuss flexibility.  In the brief side by side comparison, his product appears somewhat stiffer.  Coincidentally, the CF recently (~'05/06) changed its soft armour because soldiers in Afghanistan complained it was too stiff & restricting.  Armour needs to be flexible enough so that the wearer can perform his duties.  Mr Hurtubise has not demonstrated this.

3.  The video title claims this a comparision between Mr Hurtubise's soft armour and "all soft armour."  This is deceptive.  Even if his intent were to prove his armour is superior to all NIJ standard soft armours, the title fails to bring out that there are higher protection standards in NIJ than level 2. 

4.  Using NIJ to demonstrate a product's suitability as a military soft armour is an all around bad idea.  NIJ is a police standard & as one progresses up the levels of protection they will be earning themselves protection against the better pistol bullet.  NIJ makes no account for protection from frag, and a funny thing about frag (despite Mr Hurtubise dismissing it in one of his earlier videos) is that it can have much higher cross-sectional kinetic energy densities when compared to small arms.  Frag can shred soft armours designed to protect against bullets.  In the military, unless one believes that the better pistol bullet is a bigger combat danger than frag, then accepting only NIJ standard in a soft armour is a gamble with one's life.  A higher NIJ number does not guarantee better frag protection either.  As it is not considered in the development of NIJ armours, frag protection may not be designed for nor tested for (and likely neither).  In some cases, NIJ armours of a higher protection level actually will provide reduced frag protection.  This is one of the reasons that the CF does not use NIJ as a standard for its armour.  If Mr Hurtubise wants to sell his soft armour to the military, he'd better prove it against frag.

NIJ Standard:  http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/pubs-sum/183651.htm

Thanks for the reply MCG, I wouldn't know any of that unless someone with some knowledge on this told me. I didn't assume this was "right for the military" because I didn't get any non-biased information. Why do you think I posted here asking someone knowledgable in this field to comment on it.

Hopefully this gets fully and properly tested eventually, some things I can understand because of some very serious budget issues for him but others may be for less pretty reasons. For frag grenades though that would be fairly illegal unless it was an official test by either the military or an organization that has permission to do it.

"Can" he get somekind of third party to test it thoroughly or would it require that the place approves it first. Is he doing his own tests so he can lie about his results?

I think it is sort of a shame that he doesn't realize things like that... if he did have the right approach, he could really come up with something good.
I also wish I could be that happy about things I've made  ;D haha

For the everlasting glory of the Infantry, shines the name, shines the name........

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/02/incredible-hulc-lockheed-exoskeleton.html

Incredible HULC: Lockheed Exoskeleton Gives Superhuman Strength and Endurance to Soldiers Now

Human Universal Load Carrier (HULC) is based on a design from Berkeley Bionics of California, but Lockheed says they have enhanced the basic HULC.

Raytheon's rival XOS mechwarrior suit, which at last report still trails an inconvenient power cable to the nearest wall socket.

* Soldiers will be able to carry loads up to 200 pounds with minimal effort
* HULC uses four pounds of lithium polymer batteries will run the exoskeleton for an hour walking at 3mph, according to Lockheed. Speed marching at up to 7mph reduces this somewhat; a battery-draining "burst" at 10mph is the maximum speed
A soldier with a pack would normally go at 3 mph maximum and cover 10-12 miles in a day.
* Remote-controlled gun mounts weighing as little as 55lb are available, able to handle various kinds of normally tripod- or bipod-mounted heavy weapons
* there's an extended-endurance HULC fitted with a "silent" generator running on JP8 jet fuel. A tankful will run this suit for three days, marching eight hours per day
* HULC is basically a legs and body system only: there's no enhancement to the user's arms, though an over-shoulder frame can be fitted allowing a wearer to hoist heavy objects such as artilery shells with the aid of a lifting strop.

NOTE: Average humans walk 4 to 6 mph, but special operations soldiers are often expected to carry up to 150 pounds of supplies in their backpacks. 25mph speed with bionic boots (springing the step) would be covering almost a marathon distance in one hour.

Back