• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons in Theatre Merged Thread (in AFG, no plans to preposition)

GAP said:
Dang, no sooner than I can get him peeled off the ceiling ;D, they give him a second interview and he gets accepted to go for training in Ont.  well, get out the ladder, peel him off again, go to next room, pump arm.Yes!!..he-he...getting them out of the nest before they grow pinfeathers...gotta love it!! ;D
Good for you GAP. I experienced that same excitement (as a father) three years ago as I was getting ready to deploy to Bosnia. My son was hired by SNC/ PTI in 2003 and spent two full years in Kabul worling food services. He'd love to get back over there. I'd much rather see him join up but I think he worries about the pins in his ankle sustained in a previous accident. Anyway - you should be proud !.

NL_engineer said:
It will probably come out around the same time as the cadpat tie ;D

I regret to inform you that someone did come out with Cadpat tie last year (picture can be provided)...... along with Cadpat Beret (again picture can be provided) (along with Dopey MP :) who was wearing em for the pic)

that dopey MP is someone I know personally.  I went threw my 3's with him then he went to the dark side along with half of my course.

[Edit made by Mod to remove Name of Individual}

Ahh.... that explains it - he went to the dark side ;)
(his look appears to be a cross between Smug & embarassed)

geo said:
I regret to inform you that someone did come out with Cadpat tie last year (picture can be provided)...... along with Cadpat Beret (again picture can be provided) (along with Dopey MP :) who was wearing em for the pic)

That's why I brought it up.  I thought that CPGear would have jumped right on it.

So is this open yet? I was just listening to an interview with Michelle Wright who is going over to sing for the troops and she was thrilled when the interviewer told her there was a Timmies open there.

awww no! i seen nothing  yet , but mind you i am only there a few days then out again , maybe its just a tease? :blotto:

was watching a TV News interview on CBC (or was it CTV) about married couples in Kandahar.... they were sitting at a picnic table... with brown cups that looked a lot like Timmies.

Son just left for Kingston on Sunday for 2 wks training, then back for a couple of weeks before he goes over, if selected. So I don't imagine much will happen for a month

It was so nice to every once and a while have a shipment of Tim Hortons cups arrive and show up in Canada house. Even if it wasn't Timmies, it still had the psychological effect..  ;D

GAP said:
Son just left for Kingston on Sunday for 2 wks training, then back for a couple of weeks before he goes over, if selected. So I don't imagine much will happen for a month
Ahh, that explains the wall to wall lineup for breakfast this morning. Never seen so many people in the WO's & Sgts mess at one time, even last summer. Well, at least it should be up and running by the time I FINALLY get to go there (after Dec?) ???

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060503/afghanistan_tim_hortons_060513/20060513?hub=Canada

Training ends for Tim Hortons Kandahar hopefuls

Updated Sat. May. 13 2006 10:51 PM ET

CTV.ca News

It's hard to find a town in Canada missing a Tim Hortons outlet. Now the coffee chain is coming to Afghanistan, so troops can order morale-boosting double-doubles and cream-filled donuts.

Training for potential employees wraped up on Friday at Ontario's CFB Kingston. The announcement of who will get to work in one of the most dangerous places in the world will be made next week.

"We have given them all the tools that are necessary, from mine awareness to gas training in a gas hut," Gord Wells, of the Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency, told CTV News.

Forty-one selected workers will travel to the Kandahar airfield, where most of Canada's 2,300 troops in Afghanistan are stationed.

The airfield came under attack Saturday evening local time when explosions rocked the base. It was the fifth such attack troops have endured.

Despite the risks, those who hope to work at the base want to support the troops and bring them a little token from home.

"It feels really good to be doing something that's important for the troops," said Cynthia Horan of Penticton, B.C.

Her enthusiasm was shared by Nadine Charron of Petawa, Ont., who added she wants to go "for the experience."

But not everyone thought working at the remote outlet is a good idea.

"My youngest one is saying 'Go mom, go.' My oldest son is not so excited about it," said Kelly Taylor of CFB Gagetown.

Wells said selling coffee to Canada's troops is not just a way to help raise morale, but also another way to serve the country.

"Everyone can't be a soldier in Canada. This is their way to support Canada," he said.

About 70 people tried out for the job. They range in age between 20 and 55, but only 10 per cent have prior military experience.

Those chosen will be offered a six-month contract. Tim Hortons could start looking for another group of candidates around July.

The selected workers will also be competing against its American counterpart, when the outlet is expect to open in Canada's Kandahar base later this month.

Green Beans coffee serves U.S. troops stationed around the world, and is commonly referred to as "the military's version of Starbucks."

With a report by CTV's Robert Fife

Yeah, my son doesn't find out until Monday/Tuesday, and he's on pins & needles. Loved the training session, now, just wants to be selected.

Not to take away anything from the people who are waiting to find out if they are going (actually, good on you if your chosen, and good luck when you go).

But,

Where the %@$ is the writer of the article from? Hamilton, maybe?

It's hard to find a town in Canada missing a Tim Horton's outlet.

I call BS. How many TH outlets do you see in the smaller towns, esp in the prairies? None. Yet another great Canadian myth, along with our dominance of hockey, and our love of peacekeeping.

Hope the supplies doesn't slow mail delivery any more then it already is.  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/41424.0/all.html

You are right, there aren't many in small towns out west. Simply put...they are expensive franchisees and if you are only going to be competing against a local cafe that everybody has gone to for 20+ years, they are not feasible. They need high volume, high turnover of customers..

Everyone will be happy to know..  that Wainwright is finally getting their Tim Horton's..

Should be completed this fall (just before the Walmart is ready)

Tim Hortens, yippee - that's great for those troops here that are in the main camp (Kandahar Airfield) but for the 600 plus members of the Battle Group and the PRT in Camp Nathan Smith - ha!  They might as well be in one of those small towns in the Prairies for what good it will do them.  Thanks Tims for the effort, too bad the fighting troops won't get to take advantage of it, but that's their lot in life huh.  One more place for the high priced help to lounge around......don't get me started on the Can Con show...

Back