• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tips on how to become a recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being the grey man/woman is definitely something you want to remember. If you have experience, you have an edge when it comes to drill, discipline etc... just don't flaunt it. Instructors hate this and will go out of their way to make you wish you never did it in the first place.

Everytime I read about how men and women have different standards for their Physical it astounds me. I would understand if BMQ had separate training requirements for either sex, but not if it doesn't. Further reading along the post, you can see it might have more of a negative effect on the psyche of female applicants expecting only that much.

With that said and done, I come here to thank you all for your input on this thread and all others on army.ca. I've done my research, called a few garrisons, visited my recruiting center, done my CFAT, and subsequently closed my file to attend school. Now I'm out of school (just wasn't right for me at this time) and with a new full-time job, which I'll be working for another year or so, then re-apply for employment with the Regs. Now all I need to do is get into shape so I can do moderately well on the Physical.

-Soon2B-ASigger

Adrian_888 said:
I only got about a month to double to amount of pushups I can do, i hope its posible.

And do they check to see if your mentaly "normal" at the test?  Does it matter?

What do you mean mentally "normal"? And yes.. being a mentally competent and stable person is essential to being in the CF.

Adrian,

Doubling your push-up maximum in a month may seem tough, but it's feasible.  Just try to increase the amount by 4 or 5 each week.
As to 'mental normalness', there is no set test to measure your mental stability, but they can get an idea through the interview.  You'll be fine, I'm sure  :)

Bob Dylan said:
Adrian,

Doubling your push-up maximum in a month may seem tough, but it's feasible.  Just try to increase the amount by 4 or 5 each week

Would you recommend just doing pushups? Or weights as well so that I can to a lot of them?  Because I know that just doing something 10 times or so doesn't increase strength a lot.

Hmmm...

I'm in absolutely no way a fitness buff, but I'll tell you what worked for me.  I had the same general problem as you, though not as severe (I could do 14).  I trained mainly on my cardio (ie. jogging) every other day (because therein lie the true problem) and at the same time did max push-ups, sit-ups and hand-grips 2X a day.  By the time my test came around, I could do 23 push-ups and passed everything else.  Perhaps the cardio helps with the muscles ( ? ) but it's all about keeping to the exercises.

Hopefully that helps some...

Don't be intrusive but don't be afraid to ask them things like how long have they been in the army, how long have they been recruiting soldiers. If they got a lot of recruits that year.  Give them a chance to answer some questions not related to you and how long it will take you to join the army.
That was perfect because when I was talking to recruiter over the phone we had a good talk about the army and what it is like. It really helped because all that phone call would have been just a request for my information package.

I know that when I do get to go to PT, I am going to just give it my best shot. If I do not succeed, I will go back. If I get through some things that other Recruits may not, I will encourage them. I know for me that I am not going into joining the service to boost my ego and I am female, lol, I am doing this to make my daughter and family proud, to work on my skills for my future, to serve my country, and I look forward to becoming a part of a big family. As for the advice of the Military is not a dating service, I would kindly remind anyone that stepped over thier line with me on that oneso that is good! But I know one thing is for sure, male or female soldiers that I may become good friends with I know that getting together from time to time to grab a cup of java would not hurt! I would especially love to become close with any male or female soldiers that have children like me! I am sure that this is going to be a great experience and I am already happy of those I have met even out here (well via post or email that is :)

Have a good one everyone

Rebecca

proudnurse said:
I know that when I do get to go to PT, I am going to just give it my best shot. If I do not succeed, I will go back. If I get through some things that other Recruits may not, I will encourage them. I know for me that I am not going into joining the service to boost my ego and I am female, lol, I am doing this to make my daughter and family proud, to work on my skills for my future, to serve my country, and I look forward to becoming a part of a big family. As for the advice of the Military is not a dating service, I would kindly remind anyone that stepped over thier line with me on that oneso that is good! But I know one thing is for sure, male or female soldiers that I may become good friends with I know that getting together from time to time to grab a cup of java would not hurt! I would especially love to become close with any male or female soldiers that have children like me! I am sure that this is going to be a great experience and I am already happy of those I have met even out here (well via post or email that is :)

Have a good one everyone

Rebecca

So what happen during your visit to the CFRC/D that was last Thursday?

well some people dont know what is the military life, sometimes its nice to know what will happen .... but i agree about silly question like the hairbrush thing.... lol

I have decided to apply for a spot with the 23rd Medical Unit in Hamilton. I do want to go back and get my RN, but I have to think of this realistically being a single Mom. For now this is my choice. I also would not mind checking out one of the parade nights. So far, my boss has given me a wonderful letter of reference, so that is a good start!

Rebecca

PS for those of you that read my original message here before I removed it, I rephrased this so it was not too long, I am also tired and should not post, when I am so tired from work.

i just did the practise test i got 57% that allows me into the reserve right?

the_man06 said:
i just did the practise test i got 57% that allows me into the reserve right?

What practice test? You don't get into the CF unless you write the real test and pass all of the other requirements.

HH

haha sorry, i meant like is do you just need 50% on the real test to pass it and continue with qualifying

Why not come clean and admit you really have no clue....kincanucks worked for years at a CFRC.

yeah i have no clue how the process works even after reading everything on this website and the canadian army website

the_man06 said:
yeah i have no clue how the process works even after reading everything on this website and the canadian army website

What do you want us to do ?  Hold your hand ?

the_man06 said:

Read young grasshopper, there are answers here if you are willing to take the time and look for them.

Don't be intrusive but don't be afraid to ask them things like how long have they been in the army, how long have they been recruiting soldiers. If they got a lot of recruits that year.  Give them a chance to answer some questions not related to you and how long it will take you to join the army.
That was perfect because when I was talking to recruiter over the phone we had a good talk about the army and what it is like. It really helped because all that phone call would have been just a request for my information package.

Personally, I think your better off going to a base and talking to people who are actually in your trade to see what the daily routine is like. Unless its Signals, in which case it can vary from working in a Comcen to working with a field unit out in the cold.

I was talking to 2 recruiters at the seaforth armoury on friday the 13th, and they said that the PT test was taken out of the recriuting process 3 days before, I just want to know if they are joking to screw me up or do they just mean it.
                                                                                      Any answer will do, thanks before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back