• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trade Transfer OUT of LCIS?

Shoto

Inactive
Reaction score
Happy new years all, sorry if this is a redundant question, I've searched for a while on the forums now. I've also asked some of my instructors in my POET course (kingston), no body really knows.

I'm currently an LCIS tech student, just a month in POET, fresh outa basic. Honestly, I don't like it. It's not that it isnt too hard (OH trust me, POET is MURDER on my brain, very very hard for me), it's just that.. When I saw myself in 5 years time, it wasnt dabbling with electronics.

My question is, am I able to get out of that trade? I was thinking about going as a medic. I would have done this in the first place, but I dont have my gr11/12 chem. The recruting center was very good at making me change my mind to LCIS. I'm a health nerd, not a micoelectronic nerd.

Any help would be VERY VERY appreciated.

Thanks for your time Army.ca, members :)

I knew I saw something like this before:

Shoto said:
Hey guys, EXCELLENT post. Thanks for your effort in writting it.

I has a question. I just graduated from BMQ this week (hooray), my trade is LCIS tech. Now, I LOVE computers, that was the part of joining the army I signed up for. I wanted to work on computer systems and repair them, maybe get in to the GPS and such. I wanted "LCIS" tech.

Now I find out, that there is a good chance I'll be a Sigs Op? That sucks, I really really really don't want to go Sig or Line.

I guess my question is, what exactly will happen to me? I'm sort of in the middle of all this and heard so much different stuff!

Perhaps someone can add to the advice that he was already given.  Perhaps someone else was in the same situation.

Sounds like a confused lad.  Well if you don't still have the prerequisites for Med Tech then you still aren't going to be one.  Get out, get your Gr 11/12 chem and reapply as a Med Tech if that is what you really want to be this week.

Shoto said:
When I saw myself in 5 years time, it wasnt dabbling with electronics.

I'm a health nerd, not a micoelectronic nerd.

How did you wind up applying for, and accepting, LCIS tech ?

Or did someone tell you it meant "Linear Colonoscopy Imaging Systems Technician " ?

Why is every one here so rude?

When I was joining the army, I wanted to be a medic. I lacked the chem11/12, they told me I couldnt be one. So, they told me to come in and write the test regardless. By the end of it, they said I was really good at math (like every one else, they said I scored in the top 10% range in Canada. Right). They asked me if I liked computers, which I do. I run my own website hosting business, which was what I was doing before I joined. They said, hey, you should go LCIS, it's basically a nerd with a rifle. They showed me their flashy little videos and so, I said okay.

Turns out, they do a lot of circuit repairs. It just wont make me happy in the long run. It's as much my fault as it is the fault of the recruiters - which by the way have a bad reputation to say anything they want to get you on the dotted line.

I don't appreciate the sarcasm from the previous posters. If you don't want to help me - don't reply.

Thanks for your time, Army.ca

Shoto said:
Why is every one here so rude?

I don't appreciate the sarcasm from the previous posters. If you don't want to help me - don't reply.

All i did was ask you a simple question, which you have now aswered. Theres was no need for you attitude. Thank you.

Right, well. Sorry then, truely.

Anyway.

I remember when I was joining, they told me to go downtown and get a peice of paper saying I was enrolled in a grade 11/12 chem course, then they could take me. I just had to have that course done within I think 6 months. I didnt do that because I was going to BMQ (like you have time there to be doing chemestry!) so I didn't go with that route, instead I went LCIS.

So, I'm wondering if I talk to my staff about it, and tell them that I'm enrolled in a course to get that qualification, will they start the ball rolling?

What it boils down to, is that I don't want to be waisting the Armys time; training me with no real intention to stay in as LCIS. I mean, I'll release and come back if need be, I just don't WANT to do that, because then other things come up, and you never come back. I want the army.

Any thoughts yet?

No.  They don't start the ball rolling unless you have the prerequisite.  Like I said before get out and reapply.

Keep the paycheque and do the courses on the side. Once you've got everything squared away, then apply for your VOT. Maybe you'll luck out and end up doing something on the LCIS end that you enjoy until you can get over to the MedTech side of the house.

Shoto said:
They said, hey, you should go LCIS, it's basically a nerd with a rifle. They showed me their flashy little videos and so, I said okay.

Turns out, they do a lot of circuit repairs. It just wont make me happy in the long run. It's as much my fault as it is the fault of the recruiters - which by the way have a bad reputation to say anything they want to get you on the dotted line.

Yeah, they do a lot of circuit repair. However, they also do a LOT of IS stuff. Networking, Cisco switching and routing, etc. And the way we're going to more IP based systems with a lot of COTS equipment, you'll probably do less circuit repair as opposed to sending equipment back to the manufacturers.

Besides, sure, POET sucks, but it's there to give you a baseline. There's a lot of other stuff. As it happens, I'm teaching TACSAT and WAN systems to quite a few LCIS Techs the next couple of weeks. So it's not all circuit repair.

If you really want to be a medic, no one's saying no, and you've already been told what you need to do. But it would also help if you wait to give your trade a shot, see all that it's about. Not just the one aspect you think sucks. Because you'll find that in ALL trades.

edited to add: Like Puckchaser said, you can also do the required upgrading in night classes.

Hrm. I suppose you're right. Ill keep the pay coming in, and get the chem course as soon as I can.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

If you are not qualified in your trade yet, think hard.

If you become trade qualified I believe you must spend 24 months in your trade before you may apply for a VOT. If I remember correctly, that time doesn't start until you are done your MOC training, so you might have to spend your first contract as LCIS before you can remuster.  If you're ok with this, I suggest staying in and getting the courses part time, but if you really can't see yourself doing the job for the next however many years, get out and go from there.

I wouldn't push you either way since I don't know you, but you know, just in case an NCO neglected to tell you that...

WOW thank you for that information! Yes, I am VERY glad you said that. Luckily, I have another 5 months to go until POET is over... gawd... :(

Shoto said:
I have another 5 months to go until POET is over... gawd... :(

Consider yourself lucky. It was not too long ago when people signed up for POET and only got assigned their trades once POET was completed.

popnfresh said:
If you are not qualified in your trade yet, think hard.

If you become trade qualified I believe you must spend 24 months in your trade before you may apply for a VOT. If I remember correctly, that time doesn't start until you are done your MOC training, so you might have to spend your first contract as LCIS before you can remuster.  If you're ok with this, I suggest staying in and getting the courses part time, but if you really can't see yourself doing the job for the next however many years, get out and go from there.

I wouldn't push you either way since I don't know you, but you know, just in case an NCO neglected to tell you that...

How about a reference source on that, so someone isn't making a career decision based on "something some guy on the internet said"

Ohhh trust me, I'll be double checking with my staff regardless of what I've heard on these forums. They're famous for being known as the rumor mill.

Anyway, on the 1800km trip from Halifax to Kingston - AGAIN!

See you all on the other side.

Back