• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2017 (split fm US Election: 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a sad twist of irony the limo that Anti-Trump protestors burned (in the above pictures)  apparently belonged to a Muslim immigrant.

Jarnhamar said:
In a sad twist of irony the limo that Anti-Trump protestors burned (in the above pictures)  apparently belonged to a Muslim immigrant.

Does this mean that they can now blame Trump for a rise in unemployment?

ModlrMike said:
Does this mean that they can now blame Trump for a rise in unemployment?
That and, in no particular order, rising oceans, environmental disasters, universal fascism, women wearing labia shaped hats, and other assorted atrocities.

Shortages of hot chocolate, crayons, colouring books, and crying Altairs...

Loachman said:
Shortages of hot chocolate, crayons, colouring books, and crying Altairs...

I lean a bit left, but I  :rofl: hard at that one!

Rifleman62 said:
It's OVER. The election and the inauguration. Who really cares about the crowd size (besides Trump and a few others)?
Agreed -- but it seems to be all over the news cycle, fed by Trump's team.

Rifleman62 said:
Can't we close this down as others suggested and start the "Trump Presidency" or some such.
Actually not a bad idea - standby here you go:  a stand-alone U.S. politics thread, starting inauguration day.  Enjoy!

Loachman said:
Regarding mandatory retirement, "they'll" worry about an energetic, healthy, and successful seventy-year-old man's ability to make sound decisions but not about a Canadian senator being "allowed" to make far-reaching decisions until age seventy-five, a Supreme Court judge up until death at whatever age, < snip >

With all due respect to your comparison,

How many minutes / seconds do Canadian senators and Supreme Court judges have to "make far-reaching decisions"?
Will they ever be faced with making them - to be specific, a nuke strike - at  'Zero Dark Thirty'? ( as they say in the movies )

If ever there was a job "where seconds count..."

I see there is a minimum age ( 35 ) to be president, just wondering why not a maximum?

As always,

mariomike said:
Thank-you for your post. I respect your opinions.

Age alone does not determine mental fitness or lack thereof.

The nuclear retaliation decision has likely been reduced to a checklist/flow chart. Big decision, yes, but not necessarily a complex one.

And Mr Trump has a lot to live for.

This is not worth worrying about. Really.

Hillary would have been a bigger hazard, but not in this way.

I've read a couple of funny stories about the codes. I don't know if true, or just White House legend.

That President Carter sent it in a suit to the dry cleaners.

And that President Clinton actually misplaced it for months.

"When you're President of the United States, you can lose a vote, you can lose popular support, and you can lose a round of golf. But you're never, ever supposed to lose the biscuit."

:)

mariomike said:
I've read a couple of funny stories about the codes. I don't know if true, or just White House legend.

That President Carter sent it in a suit to the dry cleaners.

And that President Clinton actually misplaced it for months.

"When you're President of the United States, you can lose a vote, you can lose popular support, and you can lose a round of golf. But you're never, ever supposed to lose the biscuit."

:)

These both sound like really neat legends, but it is my belief that in fact the codes are carried by a military member who accompanies the president wherever he goes. In fact, if either had misplaced the codes, the political system would have gone nuts, not excluding the possibility of impeachment and/or tabloids publishing "details."

Old Sweat said:
These both sound like really neat legends, but it is my belief that in fact the codes are carried by a military member who accompanies the president wherever he goes.

I just thought the stories were funny. ( Not the part about President Reagan getting shot. But, I had read the story about Brezhnev and Nixon before. )

"During their presidencies, both Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan preferred to keep the launch codes in their jacket pockets. Congressman John Kline served as a colonel in the United States Marine Corps and carried the football for Presidents Carter and Reagan.

The coded card was separated from Ronald Reagan immediately after the 1981 assassination attempt against him. He was separated from it when his clothing was cut off by the emergency room trauma team. It was later discovered unsecured lying in one of his shoes on the emergency room floor. This led to an urban legend that Reagan carried the code in his sock. Reagan was separated from the rest of the football as well, because the officer who carried it was left behind as the motorcade sped away with the wounded president. On occasion, the president has left his aide carrying the football behind. This happened to Nixon in 1973; after Nixon presented Soviet Leader Leonid Brezhnev with a Lincoln Continental at Camp David, Brezhnev unexpectedly drove with Nixon off the retreat onto a highway while leaving Nixon's Secret Service personnel behind, separating Nixon from the football (and his security detail) for nearly 30 minutes. Presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush, and, most recently, Bill Clinton have also been separated from the football."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football#History

President Trump plans to sign executive orders reviving the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, which had been stalled under the Obama administration, sources tell Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/24/trump-to-sign-orders-reviving-pipeline-projects-sources-say.html

Ok it was moved and new thread created...good stuff... however the header lacks luster [:D

El Presidente D.J. Trump First One Hundred Days, Till End of Term Or Bust.

Just a suggestion and makes no difference...Which ever way one cuts it, Trumps Term in office It will be one heck of a train wreck.

C.U.

I believe you're being hasty with your beliefs, but I understand as you're not a fan of Trump.  Lets give him some time at least.  It's taken a year for the Trudeau train to derail off the tracks. 

At the very least, the new boss hasn't been sitting around resting on the laurels of victory.  Inaction is the least appropriate attribute that can be attached to him in these early days.

Chispa said:
Ok it was moved and new thread created...good stuff... however the header lacks luster [:D
I'm sure we'll get moooooore than enough "luster" from the commentary to make up for the thread title.

Rifleman62 said:
President Trump plans to sign executive orders reviving the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, which had been stalled under the Obama administration, sources tell Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/24/trump-to-sign-orders-reviving-pipeline-projects-sources-say.html

Trump signed two executive orders today to move Keystone and Dakota forward. A strong move that will in time lessen US dependence on middle east oil.Good for the US and Canada,bad for Saudi Arabia.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-advance-keystone-dakota-access-pipelines-administration-official-145923233--finance.html

Well, not as 'funny' as the nuclear code legends, you may be interested in what happened on this day in 1961 outside Goldsboro, NC.

A B-52G Stratofortress carrying two 3-4 megaton Mark 39 nuclear bombs broke up in mid-air, dropping its nuclear payload in the process. For one of the bombs, all but one of the arming mechanisms activated, and its retard parachute deployed, allowing it to hit with little damage. The other one ended up in a swamp and was never completely recovered.  Each being approximately 260 times the size of the Hiroshima bomb, most of the east coast would have been exposed to the radioactive debris.

Depending on the source, the US has lost 6-8 nuclear weapons over the years. 

I'll return you to your 'discussion' of Trump's nuclear competence.  ;D

Each being approximately 260 times the size of the Hiroshima bomb

[pedant]

If only those sites proofed their copy...260 time the power of the Hiroshima bomb.

[/pedant]

[tech  :geek:]

With one of the lens charges failing, I would have loved to see a slow motion film of the ejecta plume from the core when the other lens charges initiated.  Amazing how "bang on" the precision and timing of the geometry of the lens charges have to be. :nod:

[/tech :geek:]

Regards,
G2G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back