• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unifarm idears from Back to Basics

I was amazed at all the different types of dress our hosting unit (4 Rifles) had when I did the Cambrian Patrol this year. Smocks, garrison belts, shirts, sweaters, and all manner of buttons, bells and whistles... I must admit they had some natty dress, but I'd still trade all that for the simplicity we enjoy right now.

Except the bush hats. I'd gladly take their bush hats.

The idea of re introducing a Garrison/Work Dress is retarded, especially in this climate of fiscal restraint and cutbacks.

Jim Seggie said:
The idea of re introducing a Garrison/Work Dress is retarded, especially in this climate of fiscal restraint and cutbacks.

For now, yes.

I am sure Infanteer posted about this on a different thread, he pointed out that future combat uniforms might take the form of a t-shirt with Cadpat sleeves (and appropriate sleeve pokets), since the torso would be covered by armour and some sort of carry rig for ammunition, personal kit etc. It is also very probable that combat uniforms will be made of fairly exotic materials to wick away sweat, provide environmental protection, limited signature control and so on. (taken to the extreme, combat uniforms might have to become as complex as space suits, but that is 20 years down the road).

I have already seen these sorts of clothes being produced on a sort of cottage industry scale, so the first iteration (t-shirt with sleeves) may be just around the corner. I really can't see anyone allowing troops to wander around base or pop into the local Tim Horton's looking like that, regardless of how functional it is.

Given there is also a fashion component (looking "good" to the civis really is important), I can predict that ten years from now (if not sooner) there will be a "workdress" of sorts, although if there is any common sense, it might just take the form of wearing current Cadpat in place of the high tech "combats".

Thucydides said:
Given there is also a fashion component (looking "good" to the civis really is important), I can predict that ten years from now (if not sooner) there will be a "workdress" of sorts,
Sadly, I have to agree.

When the "support the troops" pendulum swings back towards "soldiers and dogs keep off the lawn," the public acceptability of CADPAT will become a thing of the past. The NDHQ warriors will once again rather be mistaken for bus-drivers than soldiers. And the "logic" of 101 Col By will be inflicted upon places like Pet and Gagetown where people suspect that we're soldiers regardless of what we're wearing.

....although if there is any common sense...
  :rofl:  ...oh sorry, you were serious  :-[

Thucydides said:
For now, yes.

I am sure Infanteer posted about this on a different thread, he pointed out that future combat uniforms might take the form of a t-shirt with Cadpat sleeves (and appropriate sleeve pokets), since the torso would be covered by armour and some sort of carry rig for ammunition, personal kit etc. It is also very probable that combat uniforms will be made of fairly exotic materials to wick away sweat, provide environmental protection, limited signature control and so on. (taken to the extreme, combat uniforms might have to become as complex as space suits, but that is 20 years down the road).

I have already seen these sorts of clothes being produced on a sort of cottage industry scale, so the first iteration (t-shirt with sleeves) may be just around the corner. I really can't see anyone allowing troops to wander around base or pop into the local Tim Horton's looking like that, regardless of how functional it is.

Given there is also a fashion component (looking "good" to the civis really is important), I can predict that ten years from now (if not sooner) there will be a "workdress" of sorts, although if there is any common sense, it might just take the form of wearing current Cadpat in place of the high tech "combats".

Overseas the Brits and the Americans wear these things all the time around camp/FOBs. They're in the system now for Canadians too, if I'm not mistaken. Some of us wore privately purchased ones in arid while deployed, though certainly not on KAF.

But these shirts are for field work. No need for them in garrison. Combat shirts suffice for that.

Brihard said:
Overseas the Brits and the Americans wear these things all the time around camp/FOBs. They're in the system now for Canadians too, if I'm not mistaken. Some of us wore privately purchased ones in arid while deployed, though certainly not on KAF.

But these shirts are for field work. No need for them in garrison. Combat shirts suffice for that.

All well and good, but what will be acceptable for wearing around the unifarm?

Loachman said:
All well and good, but what will be acceptable for wearing around the unifarm?

A unitard.

fat+unitard.jpg

Unitard,...wow.

Getting back to the subject, I cannot foresee the Treasury Board saying "Go ahead, design a garrison uniform"

We ditched the garrison/work dress for good reasons:

1. Most didn't wear it as a strictly "work" dress - it had to be pressed, etc thus taking time away from other tasks;

2. Cost - a third uniform adds cost, especially one that can only be worn in garrison. That money is better spent on operational dress  - ie winter kit, CADPAT etc;

I really don't think this is a high priority at AFC. They have bigger fish to fry right now.

Jim Seggie said:
Unitard,...wow.

Getting back to the subject, I cannot foresee the Treasury Board saying "Go ahead, design a garrison uniform"

We ditched the garrison/work dress for good reasons:

1. Most didn't wear it as a strictly "work" dress - it had to be pressed, etc thus taking time away from other tasks;

2. Cost - a third uniform adds cost, especially one that can only be worn in garrison. That money is better spent on operational dress  - ie winter kit, CADPAT etc;

I really don't think this is a high priority at AFC. They have bigger fish to fry right now.

All of the above strongly indicate that someone, somewhere is working on developing one despite all the good reasons not to stated. After all, why let the reality of creating shortages in the really important stuff like spares or ammunition get in the way of the extraneous crap? All it will take is one really slick Power Point presentation, and away we go!

Old Sweat said:
All of the above strongly indicate that someone, somewhere is working on developing one despite all the good reasons not to stated. After all, why let the reality of creating shortages in the really important stuff like spares or ammunition get in the way of the extraneous crap? All it will take is one really slick Power Point presentation, and away we go!

No doubt some bright spark has thought this one up, but I really can't see it going anywhere given the fiscal restraint we are going to endure. I think the CDS and the CFCWO have enough to do

medicineman said:
Why Royal Blue?  It was Midnight Blue before.  Besides, what's wrong with green - makes you more bullet proof.  And learn to spell; Amy is a girl's name, Army is something pretty different.

MM

Maybe he wants Amy (whomever she is) to wear the beret?  And that shows how seriously I'm taking this thread.  ::)

The idea that someone with the user name Back to Basics wants to add more complexity to kit issue is absolutely delicious.

For me simply being a member of the CF instills me with a sufficient amount of pride, having an Army specific business casual uniform isn't going to instill any additional pride.

Our daily "work dress" should reflect the primary purpose of the CF, to fight wars. In terms of public perception, the uniform needs to convey to the public that we are able to stand to and defend the garrison, ship, hotel lounge at a moments notice, which I think our current uniform does quite well.

Danjanou said:
Maybe he wants Amy (whomever she is) to wear the beret?  And that shows how seriously I'm taking this thread.  ::)

Maybe he wants all Med Techs to undergo gender reassignment.

Hey, anyone who wants to look "good" in public (to get chicks???) has an option: It's called the DEU.

WOW !  No need for more uniforms !

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Hey, anyone who wants to look "good" in public (to get chicks???) has an option: It's called the DEU.

WOW !  No need for more uniforms !
And DEU 1A on Remembrance Day works like a charm, especially in a Rifles Crossbelt. They Chicks dig it. ;D

Jim Seggie said:
And DEU 1A on Remembrance ay works like a charm, especially in a Rifles Crossbelt. They Chicks dig it. ;D
Then' there's are Patrols .......chicks really, really dig chain mail!  >:D

GK .Dundas said:
Then' there's are Patrols .......chicks really, really dig chain mail!  >:D
Yes they do indeed, but some prefer the Crossbelt with the Silver chain..... >:D

Back