• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI - UTPNCM offers are out, got mine 2 days ago !  Keep your eyes open !

Good luck to all !

stoker35 said:
FYI - UTPNCM offers are out, got mine 2 days ago !  Keep your eyes open !

Good luck to all !

Congrats.  Good to see they are getting the messages out earlier than the previous years.

Welcome to the greatest opportunity in your CAF careers.  Good luck to both of you!

Hello all,
This was a very insightful discussion on this topic.
I didn’t think that it would be wise and appropriate to open a new topic so I’ll post my question/comment here.

One of my intermediate goals is to be accepted into UTPNCM program. I have 7 years in and I am not competitive enough. I am looking to PM with someone that has gone thought this process recently…possibly to follow-up a few times, as a possible mentor. This would be a 2-3 year plan for me. I realize that there is PSO, I just thought that this may be more practical and personable.

Thank you.

Where was the post? Not in this one, last post was someone asking about applying a week ago and before that last post was last year when the Canforgen came out. Was in a different topic?

I think he is refering to this topic:

https://army.ca/forums/threads/114640.0

I thought I would bring this up: as far as the weighting goes I have my doubts. I was a Signals trade before, and my recruiter told me she only recommended me for one trade (int) as I had done it previously, and that she would NOT recommend me of the other trades selected (ARMD, ARTY) That being said my CO's letter recommended me for MOSID 00178 (ARMD) and I was given an offer, despite the PSO's recommendation. Just FYI!

thirdprophet said:
I was told that the CFAT is one-third of the score, the personality inventory is one-third of the score, and the remainder is comprised of job knowledge/experience, leadership training/experience, and university credits (and how they apply to the ideal degree for the trade).  I'm sure that when it comes down to the final decision, it may not be quite as black-and-white as just looking at the score, but that's what I was told about how the process works.

So there I was, starting my claims at the ULO Office for my third year of Mechanical Engineering, and I heard that there were changes in the regulations for the commissioning of UTPNCMs.  When I signed up for it my offer/message stated that I would be commissioned to the rank of S/Alt and then simultaneously promoted to Slt, as I was a MS with PLQ.  The regulations at the time stated this and so did the SEM guide (not an official document).  The SEM guide for 2013/14 academic year stated this as well.  I just got my hands on the guide for this year and it now states:

If you are in the UTPNCM program and your former rank was Sergeant/Petty Officer Second Class or below, you will be commissioned in the rank of Second Lieutenant/Acting Sub Lieutenant upon graduation and having successfully completed BMOQ.  If your former rank was Warrant Officer/Petty Officer First Class or above, you will be commissioned to the rank of Second Lieutenant/Acting Sub Lieutenant, and will then be simultaneously promoted to the rank of Lieutenant/Sub Lieutenant effective the date of commissioning.

Being a MS with Spec 1, I will max out the A/Slt pay scale in a few years but I know that PO2's may not have that luxury.  I would have had to spend three years as a Slt before eligibility for promotion to Lt(N), being an A/Slt probably will not hamper or delay my progression in training.  What gets me is that I find out from another member about the change buried in a lengthy document.  Nothing was circulated about these changes either.  The plan is to file a grievance.

On a final note, from the rumors I have heard (everyone loves rumors) some graduates from this spring who were supposed to be promoted to Slt and they were not.  They also filed a grievance and had it denied.  Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as I am and if they have any experiences on this subject they would like to share.

I got my commissioning message a couple of weeks ago and still says simultaneous promotion to 1Lt.

"5.  PROMOTED IMMEDIATELY TO LT. AUTH PAY UNDER PROVISION OF CBI
204.211 PARA(4) AND REF E"

Ref E is CBI 204.09, though those are pay documents. There would have to have been something superseding policies in CFAO 11-6 for this change I think?

Still waiting to submit my final marks to CDA but this is the first I've heard.

Congratulations on your commission, Melbatoast! 

I think I will have to do some digging into the CFAOs and DAODs.  There is a DAOD 5002 pertaining to UTPNCM that has yet to be published.  I wonder if that has something to do with it.

MeanJean said:

I think I will have to do some digging into the CFAOs and DAODs.  There is a DAOD 5002 pertaining to UTPNCM that has yet to be published.  I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Back when I was a Lt many years ago, you could go to QR&Os and/or CFAOs and find an answer to pretty much anything. Nowadays, "the regs" are a f****** disaster. Best of luck with your search, but if this is a recent change, it'll probably be years before CFAOs and/or DAODs are updated.

MeanJean said:

FWIW (and agreeing completely with Transporter about the state of the regulations), my understanding was that MS who take UTPNCM are only automatically promoted to Slt (i.e. given treatment similar to CFR) if they are qualified for promotion to PO2: i.e. if you have the time in rank and course requirements for promotion to PO2, but are lacking only promotion selection to PO2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back