• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am applying to Carleton and UofO.

My understanding is that you can provide proof of your application for each program you applied for and that will suffice.

I was just wondering what the letter of eligibility was in case it was the easiest to obtain.

how did you get the deadlines for the PSO?  I called and they didn't know

I was in to see the PSO here in Pet on tuesday, He gave me the deadline for applications, he had mentioned mid october (said the day but I can't recall it....it was just sooner than I expected), since they have to be in Ottawa for November.

I will be applying to UofO as well, but was hoping the eligibility letter would be easier so I could get the paperwork submitted nowish.
But I will have to wait until OUAC opens for the fall2015 semester to apply. (hoping that is next week)

You would think that the CAF would maybe change their dates considering the whole dilemma of you can't apply for the proper year until about 3 weeks before deadline...

MrBlue said:
You would think that the CAF would maybe change their dates considering the whole dilemma of you can't apply for the proper year until about 3 weeks before deadline...

Thousands of people have done UTPNCM with roughly the same dates and seemed to have been ableo solve the problem.  First and foremost you are applying for an officer production programme.  One would hope that those hoping to become an officer within the forces would show a bit of ingenuity in solving issues. 

One might for example apply to the universities they want in the semesters before the application is due for UTPNCM.  Then once accepted defer enrollment in classes until they accepted into UTPNCM.

The dates will never be perfect.  In previous year the dates were later however it caused issues when it came to postings the following summer.  Applicants should be doning their research looking at potential pitfalls and trying to mitigate it.

MrBlue said:
So it says you need either

A) Letter of unconditional acceptance
B) Letter of eligibility
C) Proof of application from each university (showing the specific degree program) applied to for each MOS ID the member wishes to be considered for under UTPNCM.

I understand A and C but what is B?  and who would you get it from?

This is something I encountered with RMC, but nowhere else. Basically, when you fill out your application form, and you put in an application to RMC, RMC assesses your eligibility/admissibility. The paperwork you receive is more than "proof of application," since it is given after you apply, but is less than an unconditional offer of acceptance. It basically says, " yeah, you meet our entry requirements, we CAN accept you."

I am currently in the UTPNCM program and I am not too sure on the letter of eligibility but you will eventually need a letter of unconditional acceptance. This is my take on the situation:

When applying for the UTPNCM program, you just need to have your application into the universities and then you can provide "proof of application".  Your UTPNCM application will go through the process and then in the spring you will get either a letter of selection or non-selection.  There are lots of members who are taking university courses in the fall semester when they are applying to UTPNCM program in order to meet the requirements.  Marks do not come in until after Christmas and then they are forwarded to the university that you applied to for consideration.  That was the case for me. 

By the sounds of it, you have already met all of the other requirements for the UTPNCM program and all you have to do is get your application into the universities, provide your proof of application, wait for your university application to be processed and then get the results to the BPSO and DMCPG 5-2 by 1 Jul 15.  I recommend getting the letter in as soon as possible.

4) ... IF LETTERS OF UNCONDITIONAL UNIVERSITY ACCEPTANCE ARE NOT AVAILABLE AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION, THEY MUST BE SENT DIRECTLY TO DMCPG 5-2 NO LATER THAN 1 JUL 15

So as you see, you will need a letter of unconditional acceptance at the end of it.

If the university is not taking applications for the fall, apply for the winter semester and then have it deferred.  If you are a keener, you could submit an ILP and take a course in the winter to get a jump start on your degree.  This could work to your advantage if you are not selected this year as it will show initiative and academic aptitude on your part.  If you don't want to or cannot take courses in the winter, you can always defer your application.

So to answer the OP's original question: what is a letter of eligibility? No idea but it may be easier to get the proof of application.

As far as deadlines go... They aren't too bad to meet as long as you do not decide to apply at the end of the summer.  This time of year is pretty crazy at the universities.

The problem is you can't even apply to other university's in Ontario yet for the fall 2015 semester. I've never thought of the deferring your start date, that's an option I guess

I have proof of application to RMC....that's no problem, they are geared towards the program a bit. Just need UofO and in goes the paperwork....the good thing I guess is, my CoC is expecting and waiting for it.

Mornin guys an gals, have a quick question. I'm looking at applying for the UTPNCM in a year or two, and in the meantime I'm going to be taking some university courses since it was recommended to do so. It would appear obvious that taking a course with an interest in your degree of choice would make sense, but can anyone shed a little light here? How useful is the Canadian Military History course ( for example), if you are not going to be teaching or researching that aspect? I'm more interested in taking courses that are useful down the road vs what I might find interesting at the moment. Sorry, its kinda a vague question I know, but any input anyone has I'll take a look at.
Thanks

It may be useful to take courses that you find interesting right now to help decide your Degree path. I know I really enjoyed commerce courses yet my plan was to take a science degree.

Also don't forget, the course may fill in an elective that may be required for your degree.

ok , sidemount, that kinda falls in with what my PSO said, it didn't "really" matter what course I took, but she did mention about how the course would fit in with the degree path, and the fact that it may fill an elective , thanks for the input.

For those applying to UTPNCM, what did you use as proof of application when using OUAC....doesn't really give much after you pay...

Quiet on the UTPNCM front

Who has applied this year?

I rewrote the CFAT and really upped my score before applying, hope to increase my chances this year seeing as how its worth 30% of the score that the PSO calculates.

Application is in for;

Pilot
ACSO
EME

According to the Kingston PSO's office is there have been a record number of applications to the UTP programme. They even suspended VOT-U because of it (at least according to them).

I sure hope I get it.... It is my first year applying. I will be following this thread very closely.

hotei said:
According to the Kingston PSO's office is there have been a record number of applications to the UTP programme. They even suspended VOT-U because of it (at least according to them).

I would assume that is their local office.....total in Canada would be hard to judge until they are all in Ottawa

I'm currently going through the recruiting process to join the military as a NCM I would like to at some point try to become an officer. I've done some research on it and have some information but one thing I was never clear about is what is required to become an officer like an Infantry officer. Tons of sources say that any degree can do for being an Infantry officer but I want to know what that warrants would an associates degree in a field qualify as a degree for being an officer or would the degree have to be a bachelor degree or higher? I've looked in many places but haven't found that information anywhere all I've found was a degree in any field would work but nothing on the minimum degree.

Upgrading was the first word that came to mind move up I guess maybe advancement would be better or transfer? Whatever word you want to use for being a NCM and after sometime change to being an officer.

I understand that in UTP-NCM the member stays at the pay scale they were at when they were NCM until they graduate.

Question I have is, as an AVS tech, would I receive my spec 1 level pay in the UTM-NCM program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back