• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy is applying for LOGO (only choice). Nothing yet either. I think we're gonna have to cross our fingers pretty hard.

JulesB said:
Same here, second try as well. Not feeling very hopeful at this point.

It's still early offers started to come out not even a week ago.. and no one from LOG O had answer yet on here

JulesB said:
Same here, second try as well. Not feeling very hopeful at this point.

Any idea on your stats? From what I understand it's CFAT, grades/courses and interview which covers your potential of receiving an offer or not...I don't know the exact figures though, just that it's 60 points for the CFAT. I'm curious how bad the odds really are; when I had my interview, BPSO Halifax said there were 15 positions for LOG UTPNCM this year, and 16 applicants. I'm not sure if that includes people who have LOG as their second choice though, or who else it might entail.

For reference, my stats are 97th percentile on the CFAT, 3.9GPA over 7 courses, and my background is logistics trades which was covered in the interview. However, this is my first time applying, so I don't know if that is a factor as well. Just going by the '15 positions, 16 applicants' you'd think everyone is getting in this year.

**EDIT** I did not apply to RMC, but I did state my willingness to attend if offered. I'm not sure if that makes a difference either.

I think there are much more applicants than 16. I did not get it for the past 2 years, this is my 3rd time trying. My CFAT is only 82 percentile due to my English. I am not re-writing it because English is not something I can improve quickly.

I completed 28 courses in my degree and currently a 4th year BSc Economics student at UVIC. Overall GPA is 6.27 out of 9 (UVIC System). I ranked #1 for promotion to MS twice in a row but turned it down. I completed PLQ DL. I am not from a LOG trade but have a lot of business experience outside of military.

MasterInstructor said:
I think there are much more applicants than 16. I did not get it for the past 2 years, this is my 3rd time trying. My CFAT is only 82 percentile due to my English. I am not re-writing it because English is not something I can improve quickly.

I completed 28 courses in my degree and currently a 4th year BSc Economics student at UVIC. Overall GPA is 6.27 out of 9 (UVIC System). I ranked #1 for promotion to MS twice in a row but turned it down. I completed PLQ DL. I am not from a LOG trade but have a lot of business experience outside of military.

I can say positively that he said there were 16 applicants and 15 positions. The only other way I can construe that, is if there were '16 applicants for Halifax' and 15 positions across Canada. I'm still trying to think positive.

On the off chance, could it be for strategic planning purposes, that they don't intake UTPNCM personnel who have less than 3 years remaining in school? Just throwing it out there, I'm not sure if that's a factor but I'm trying to work all the angles. If you don't get it this year, you said you're going to release and re-enlist DEO?

And if anyone has concrete answers to any of my speculations, please share. It would be appreciated.

virtualwog said:
I can say positively that he said there were 16 applicants and 15 positions. The only other way I can construe that, is if there were '16 applicants for Halifax' and 15 positions across Canada. I'm still trying to think positive.

On the off chance, could it be for strategic planning purposes, that they don't intake UTPNCM personnel who have less than 3 years remaining in school? Just throwing it out there, I'm not sure if that's a factor but I'm trying to work all the angles. If you don't get it this year, you said you're going to release and re-enlist DEO?

And if anyone has concrete answers to any of my speculations, please share. It would be appreciated.

You are correct that there were only 15 positions. 16 applicants from Halifax also seems too high. Who knows... I hope you are right! I would think it is highly unlikely that I was the 16th and only guy who did not get LOG last year and the year before...

I have 2 years left listed in my application because that is what it was when I applied. Since then, I completed another year worth of courses and taking another 8 this summer. I can graduate in December If I wanted to. This is not reflected in my application though since application was submitted last fall. If I get UTPNCM, I am going to change my degree to commerce and go to school for another 2 years, work towards CPA. I am putting in my release the same day I get a rejection message and applying as DEO the day of my release date :)

virtualwog said:

Actually just realized. 3 people just stated that this is their 2nd or 3rd time applying for LOG, so 15 positions and 16 applicants is not possible.

MasterInstructor said:
You are correct that there were only 15 positions. 16 applicants from Halifax also seems too high. Who knows... I hope you are right! I would think it is highly unlikely that I was the 16th and only guy who did not get LOG last year and the year before...

I have 2 years left listed in my application because that is what it was when I applied. Since then, I completed another year worth of courses and taking another 8 this summer. I can graduate in December If I wanted to. This is not reflected in my application though since application was submitted last fall. If I get UTPNCM, I am going to change my degree to commerce and go to school for another 2 years, work towards CPA. I am putting in my release the same day I get a rejection message and applying as DEO the day of my release date :)

Ah, from what I understand there are 15 positions for this year. From my understanding, previous years have had as low as 6/8 positions. Also, I don't believe your offer position changes such as it would for postings/promotions; if you score let's say 90 last year, and are the ninth person and the only one unselected, you don't become spot number one the next year. If eight more people apply and all score 91 and you still score 90, you stay at the bottom. I can't think of why else people would be reapplying so consistently but not sliding up positions.

The CFAT is a big portion of it though; the process has been restructured to put more weight onto it recently, which is why it's now worth about 60 points I believe. In my interview, and I'm sure in yours as well, if you've asked what you can do to increase your chances, the CFAT was stressed for importance. I was recommended to seek more community leadership opportunities such as Scouting and Big Brothers programmes, if I don't succeed this year.

virtualwog said:
Ah, from what I understand there are 15 positions for this year. From my understanding, previous years have had as low as 6/8 positions. Also, I don't believe your offer position changes such as it would for postings/promotions; if you score let's say 90 last year, and are the ninth person and the only one unselected, you don't become spot number one the next year. If eight more people apply and all score 91 and you still score 90, you stay at the bottom. I can't think of why else people would be reapplying so consistently but not sliding up positions.

The CFAT is a big portion of it though; the process has been restructured to put more weight onto it recently, which is why it's now worth about 60 points I believe. In my interview, and I'm sure in yours as well, if you've asked what you can do to increase your chances, the CFAT was stressed for importance. I was recommended to seek more community leadership opportunities such as Scouting and Big Brothers programmes, if I don't succeed this year.

Last year it was 15 and the year before was 10. You can find the SIP numbers on DWAN.

MasterInstructor said:
Last year it was 15 and the year before was 10. You can find the SIP numbers on DWAN.

I'm having difficulty tracking historical ones; if you could provide a link I would greatly appreciate it.

Calculating 15 this year(17/18 SIP), 15 last year(16/17 SIP), 10 the year before that(15/16 SIP) - that's a 50% increase between last year and the previous. If we go back to about 2013/2014, that's when I started looking into the program; it's also when I was told the positions were very competitive and very limited(approx. 6-8).

If an upward trend in position availability continues, most likely due to attrition rates as well as other factors, perhaps we will see as many as 18 or 20 LOG UTPNCM positions in the coming years. Or it could cap out and start being more competitive again, what do I know. I don't have enough data to crunch the numbers on at this time.

Hmm.. then the selection may not work in such a way that if there are 15 positions and 15 applicants, that all of applicants will get in. I heard there are many factors involved and depending on who is on the board there may be slight differences year-by-year.

I'll have to apologize, I was reading the SIP incorrectly. It made sense to me the way I was reading it, but that was just coincidental.

The 17/18 SIP was last years, which would make 16/17 the one which had 10 LOG positions. Some good news though, I just spoke with BPSO Halifax and they confirmed there have been no LOG offers yet; they received three engineering officer messages this morning though so good luck to you engineers out there!

virtualwog said:
I'll have to apologize, I was reading the SIP incorrectly. It made sense to me the way I was reading it, but that was just coincidental.

The 17/18 SIP was last years, which would make 16/17 the one which had 10 LOG positions. Some good news though, I just spoke with BPSO Halifax and they confirmed there have been no LOG offers yet; they received three engineering officer messages this morning though so good luck to you engineers out there!

Thanks for the update!

Really hope all of us LOG applicants are accepted this year! The Civi U i applied for this year went on Lockdown yesterday hope that will be resolved before the fall 😡

How do I access the SIP numbers? I have searched din without success.. maybe wrong keywords. PM me if necessary.

Thanks

nordi said:
How do I access the SIP numbers? I have searched din without success.. maybe wrong keywords. PM me if necessary.

Thanks

Hi,
on the DIN http://cmp-cpm.mil.ca/en/support/military-personnel/dpgr-index.page
go to production reports and at the bottom should be a SIP scorecard

I'm waiting to hear on Log O too, but through SCP. I'm also Land and asked for Air (posting restrictions). First attempt and I'm doubtful but I want the message to at least 'close the chapter'. Good luck to everyone else waiting!
Side note - I process messages in my unit and haven't seen any come through yet. We're a small unit but still. I've heard rumours of some UTP-NCM messages for PSO, but that's it.

Wow.. looking at CELE/AERE numbers the competition last year was pretty stiff. Not many offers to go around. Hope its very different this year, otherwise my chances are ultra slim.

There was one offer in Trenton UTPNCM don't know which trade but not LOG. They said sometimes the members know before the PSO office so..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back