• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
jofafa said:
I went from 44 to 54 as well on the CFAT, we will see how it turns out

That's great! I'm glad to hear you did that! Hopefully your interview and Personality Trait Exam went well too. What program and trades did you apply for?

They both went pretty good. I am an army traffic tech, applied for LOG O - any element, and for a bachelor of business admin

MaritimeMogul said:
Good Morning all,

Just thought I would chime in after being selected last year for Log-Sea (UTPNCM) on my first attempt. With the dinner bell calling, I can remember too well how jittery or on edge you all are to find out. I just thought I would highlight and stress the important things to get picked, and if you don't what to improve on.

1.) The single most important thing is your CFAT score. Find it out, and better it!!! After getting picked, I had three or four PM`s that were the same thing. "hey MaritimeMogul, congrats on getting picked. My CFAT score was 40/60, and the PSO says its an average score.... do you think its good enough?" The long and short of the answer in my opinion is NO!.... The cutoff (in raw score is 38/60) which is average and plenty of people can apply with that score. The CFAT is worth 60% of your score, and it conveniently has 60 questions... Get my drift?

Not to be a buzz kill, but once I found out my score was average, I decided to challenge the CFAT. I studied long and hard on the internet, at sea during deployment, and even downloaded a paid app (CFAT Trainer) and did the 700 questions on there. Well it paid off as I scored 54/60 on the CFAT and to this day I believe it is the single biggest reason I was picked!

2.) The second important thing in my opinion is to not hold up your career while you wait around to get picked/not. I've read a few people that have turned down promotions to the next rank level? Why, would you do this????????? Take the promotion to MCpl/MS and get your PLQ, make more money, and further pad your pensionable earnings. Not only does it give you a small, but definite one up.... PLQ will prevent you from doing the damned BMOQ mod2. Who wants to go back to St.Jean for a second time?? This guy sure isn't interested in going this summer but being that my education is free, so be it....

I hate to sound so blunt but it has to be said to often is iffy information passed around, and I'll scroll through and read it and shake my head.

I wish you all well and hope you all get picked, but if not keep your head high and improve on these things. Remember if UTPNCM doesn't work out now, its not to say that CFRP wouldn't work out. I had a friend denied all three times he applied for UTPNCM, but got picked on his first attempt at CFRP.

Cheers!

@MaritimeMogu First of all, congrats on your selection. I hope your first year of university has been great! Your 2 points are very valid and absolutely correct for the majority of the people. I felt the need to respond because I did not re-write CFAT and I turned down promotions. Everyone's situation and thought process is different. Since you asked, here is why:

1- CFAT Score. I am at 82 percentile for NCMs. This is not a very competitive score and initially I was compelled to re-write it. However, once I learned my scores for individual sections of the test, I decided that I could not do much better. I got 29/30 on the problem solving skills. I got a 11/15 on spacial ability and 7/15 on language. I am sure I could study hard and maybe get couple more correct on the spacial but unfortunately language section is not something I can improve by studying much. English is my second language and that deeper level of vocabulary comes with years of using the language. Please correct me if you think I am wrong but this is my thought process.

2- I turned down promotions even though I was ranked #2 and then #1 in my trade. I am a NESOP which is a hard sea trade. I sailed on ships for about 4 years then got an amazing shore posting which people normally stay for 2-3 years. I ranked #2 about 7 months after getting there. I would have been promoted to MS and sent back to ships for another 3-4 years. On top of that, my CoC was extremely supportive of my academic ambitions. They started giving me 14 academic days for every term of school. I started attending UVIC and taking 4-6 courses per term. Since my position is a shift work, I was able to work evenings and weekends. I formed a social life, I got into the school routine. I attended classes with the same people through terms. I love my university life. I decided to stick with school no matter what. I am still getting paid and I am getting my education paid through ILP. On top of that, I do not owe time back to the military. I am doing my 4th year in economics right now. When I applied I put down I still have 2 years to finish which true because I would end up switching my major to commerce which is a better degree.

If my single goal was to get into the UTPNCM program, your points are valid but I have other factors that effect my decisions. I am done with being a NESOP and I am done with sailing. I am ready to get out and get back in if necessary. Right now, my education and my life quality are my top priority.

I thought my CFAT was decent, but now im thinking I should have re-done it. My scores were roughly 92-NCM and i think 73-Officer. Cant remember my individual scores, but language was also my low point (second lang) which i have vastly improved since i took the test (E E E lang prof). I wish my PSO would have put more emphasis on the weight of this score.

Well, too late now. Fingers still crossed.

MaritimeMogul said:
1.) The single most important thing is your CFAT score. Find it out, and better it!!! After getting picked, I had three or four PM`s that were the same thing. "hey MaritimeMogul, congrats on getting picked. My CFAT score was 40/60, and the PSO says its an average score.... do you think its good enough?" The long and short of the answer in my opinion is NO!.... The cutoff (in raw score is 38/60) which is average and plenty of people can apply with that score. The CFAT is worth 60% of your score, and it conveniently has 60 questions... Get my drift?

I'm going to second this for everyone here - the CFAT counts for 60% of your total score that goes to the boards (the rest being your personality test and the interview results/how well they feel you're a fit for the occupation(s) you applied for).  If you have a low CFAT score, study up and write it again.  It doesn't matter if you're applying for the 1st or 5th time, you're going up against everyone who applied for that year.  As an example: I got selected this year on my first try, and I had a CFAT score of 55.2/60.  It doesn't matter that this was my first year applying, or that I wrote the CFAT 18 years ago fresh out of high school with math, science and English fresh in my head.  Fair or not, it's what the process is based on and probably the easiest/fastest way to improve your chances of getting selected.

Good luck to everyone out there still waiting on an offer!

Khisanth said:
I'm going to second this for everyone here - the CFAT counts for 60% of your total score that goes to the boards (the rest being your personality test and the interview results/how well they feel you're a fit for the occupation(s) you applied for).  If you have a low CFAT score, study up and write it again.  It doesn't matter if you're applying for the 1st or 5th time, you're going up against everyone who applied for that year.  As an example: I got selected this year on my first try, and I had a CFAT score of 55.2/60.  It doesn't matter that this was my first year applying, or that I wrote the CFAT 18 years ago fresh out of high school with math, science and English fresh in my head.  Fair or not, it's what the process is based on and probably the easiest/fastest way to improve your chances of getting selected.

Good luck to everyone out there still waiting on an offer!

What does that score equate to in percentile for officers? What trade did you come from?

ridsteram said:
What does that score equate to in percentile for officers? What trade did you come from?

I have no idea what that equates to in terms of NCM or Officer standings, I was just given my raw score.  I am a Geo Tech and I got picked up for CELE.

MasterInstructor said:
There has not been any news on offers since last Thursday.... Ugh.

Might be able to shed some light on that. I contacted my BPSO office today, spoke with the civilian administrator. She said there's a conference in Ottawa this week, and not to expect any message unless it was already cut and waiting to be released. My BPSO's email has an out-of-office message until Monday. We might just have to sit tight until next week.

virtualwog said:
Might be able to shed some light on that. I contacted my BPSO office today, spoke with the civilian administrator. She said there's a conference in Ottawa this week, and not to expect any message unless it was already cut and waiting to be released. My BPSO's email has an out-of-office message until Monday. We might just have to sit tight until next week.

Thanks for the info!

I haven't heard from my BPSO re: number of applicants

MasterInstructor said:
Well that is exciting, good luck! Although, I am confused why you do not think the message is not yours? 16 applicants and 15 positions. What are the chances of you being that 1 person who did not get it, especially when combined with the odds that out of the 16, another person also applied for Log Air from Shearwater.... Not to mention your CFAT score is much higher than mine... ;) Statistically, if the information is correct, that offer is pretty much yours :)

Was that for UTPNCM or SCP?

The value of this site is not rumour, innuendo, whispers or tea readings.

Alcon this thread, reread this site's Conduct Guidelines, which is kindly provided at the bottom of all pages on these forums.

This is your warning.

Kratz
DS

kratz said:
The value of this site is not rumour, innuendo, whispers or tea readings.

Alcon this thread, reread this site's Conduct Guidelines, which is kindly provided at the bottom of all pages on these forums.

This is your warning.

Kratz
DS

Everyone speaking on this thread is happy and value sharing information to best of our abilities. No one is complaining. Let us continue what we are doing as everyone involved in the conversation is satisfied with the conduct. I thought we were over with over-reaching, micromanaging moderation of this site.

Nordi succeeded in a fast "nija edit" of their post.

I stand by the warning.

I think anyone who hasn't heard anything by now probably wasn't selected in the initial round. I am told I have a fairly strong file; however this is my second attempt and still not selected. I feel like my file with my experience would be very strong against civilians off the street for an ROTP/DEO position. Has anyone gotten out and gotten back in? With the new approved VAC school money I am seriously considering giving this UTP one more try and then just releasing so I can get my UNI finished, if I manage to get back in that's great otherwise I guess its on to civvy life lol.

K1tesurf said:
I think anyone who hasn't heard anything by now probably wasn't selected in the initial round. I am told I have a fairly strong file; however this is my second attempt and still not selected. I feel like my file with my experience would be very strong against civilians off the street for an ROTP/DEO position. Has anyone gotten out and gotten back in? With the new approved VAC school money I am seriously considering giving this UTP one more try and then just releasing so I can get my UNI finished, if I manage to get back in that's great otherwise I guess its on to civvy life lol.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet. Every year there are delays in the release of messages for one reason or another. You have to remember (unless things have drastically changed in just one year), that there is only a Captain and a Sergeant responsible for all message review and drafting for release. They take care of all the programs, so their busy! Be patient for now!

Fun fact: I was picked on my first application last year, on the initial round of messages and the message DTG was 1 Jun. Patience is a virtue !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back